SPOTLIGHT RARE QUAD LP'S, TAPES or CD'S

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
RARE (UNCOMMON) QUADRAPHONIC LP'S that you have in your collection .

Please if you can post a picture , and if possible Country of origin and any other information pertaining to the title's rare status.

Gotta be a few of us on QQ with such titles we consider RARE or limited edition.:banana:

I'm sure we can ALL have an awful lot of fun with this THREAD !:D

Here's one to start things off.

William Whiskers-Tango New Sound. QS LP

Barclay Records Canada (1975) # QS 802 10

20170628_171304.jpg20170628_171312.jpg20170628_171333.jpg

BTW It's not in the "Quad Discography " , but s/b .

Last edited:
So I'm led to believe this disc is rare , or limited , or both.

PASSPORT-HANDMADE. CD-4 European Edition --Atlantic Records Europe

FWIW WEA EUROPE had a total of six CD-4 albums , regionally exclusive .

20170629_194425.jpg20170629_194438.jpg20170629_194500.jpg20170629_194535.jpg20170629_194558.jpg

That is my torture test disc, if you can demodulate that one, you have a good setup.

That is my torture test disc, if you can demodulate that one, you have a good setup.

I never found this disc to be a problem whatsoever. One song though goes to a very high note (crescendo like) and that note would make my demodulator blink once and very briefly .
A couple of early Warners were problematic--poor pressings , but none of the WEA Europe discs I had , had issues. Much better vinyl pressings and higher quality discs, I think. :smokin

You would think this release would be easy to spot in the land of its origin, but noooo!
I've been searching for years for this record, never seen one here in Germany.

-Kristian

A Quad cassette , from Radio Shack

Very early w/old black plastic case that has the artists info/label glued on.

London Pops Festival Orchestra-10 Of Tom Jones Greatest Hits.
Realistic 51-3113

originally a Q8 title only, but.........EV-4 encoded tape. Perhaps it was also issued on lp ??

20170519_202109.jpg20170519_202056.jpg

not listed on the Quad Discography , but s/b

There was no vinyl for those London Pops titles, only Q8's and, apparently, cassettes. I've never heard it but in theory, the Q8 should be a discrete source, whereas the cassette will play stereo but needs decoding to hear the quad, just like any SQ or QS album on cassette or stereo 8-track or stereo reel.

ED :)

There was no vinyl for those London Pops titles, only Q8's and, apparently, cassettes. I've never heard it but in theory, the Q8 should be a discrete source, whereas the cassette will play stereo but needs decoding to hear the quad, just like any SQ or QS album on cassette or stereo 8-track or stereo reel.

ED :)

Who can say for certain what Radio Shack released. Most were "limited editions/promos" as it were . I was amazed when I came across this encoded tape-----in a used record store .
I'm willing to bet they also had a 2ch EV-4 R-R of it at one time as that was being pushed at the time being as it was mostly an electronic parts giant . Kinda miss those stores, btw. :D

You would think this release would be easy to spot in the land of its origin, but noooo!
I've been searching for years for this record, never seen one here in Germany.

-Kristian

FWIW I believe I read some very years ago in a quad friendly publication that "Sonopress" in Germany cut those European WEA discs .
All six of them . Fats Domino , Ralph Mctell , Absolute Elsewhere , Passport , Deaf School , and the WEA Sampler .

Apparently , the Passport disc was even common enough to get a picture (Quadradisc emblem intact) in the "Record Album Art " coffee table book . Just saying. :)

FWIW I believe I read some very years ago in a quad friendly publication that "Sonopress" in Germany cut those European WEA discs .
All six of them . Fats Domino , Ralph Mctell , Absolute Elsewhere , Passport , Deaf School , and the WEA Sampler .

Apparently , the Passport disc was even common enough to get a picture (Quadradisc emblem intact) in the "Record Album Art " coffee table book . Just saying. :)

WEA Germany also pressed some USA CD4 for european market, i have Dionne Warwicke "Then came you" as German CD4.

WEA Germany also pressed some USA CD4 for european market, i have Dionne Warwicke "Then came you" as German CD4.

Good to know.

I have a listing with the U.S types WEA CD-4 Euro discs which all start with K ., but it's difficult to distinguish which discs were actually pressed at Sonopress and which were simply imported and a WEA cd-4 label stuck on.

I had a copy of Wyman's Monkey Grip , which was pressed in the U.S. and album cover said U.S.but had the WEA EUROPE cd-4 label stuck on it .

No doubt there must of been some other U.S titles pressed in Germany for WEA .
Those six I mentioned prior were exclusive to the European market , so their number of pressings , I would assume, would be smaller.

The three "roadshow" Japan CD-4s and The Godfather actual soundtrack on paramount. I'm pretty sure the "earthquake" disc has the original "sensaround" theater mix.

IMG_0062.jpgIMG_0063.jpg

Good to know.

I have a listing with the U.S types WEA CD-4 Euro discs which all start with K ., but it's difficult to distinguish which discs were actually pressed at Sonopress and which were simply imported and a WEA cd-4 label stuck on.

I had a copy of Wyman's Monkey Grip , which was pressed in the U.S. and album cover said U.S.but had the WEA EUROPE cd-4 label stuck on it

Do you mean a self-adesive label on both sides of the LP, or just the CD4 adesive on the LP cover?

Having the D.W. in front of me,

1) front cover: CD4 sticker
2) back cover: when there were the lines about copyright, made in usa etc white blocking and german credits
3) labels: no sticker, regularly pressed with the disc, GEMA as mechanical royalties company
4) run-out groove: serial number handwritten, "Manufactured in Germany" machine-stamped.

I can assume it is really a german pressing. The other german releases should have at least point 3 and 4.

EDIT: back cover has a correction sticker that change the serial number: top right, white box with the number
WB56019
(BS2846)
B

and pasted over a sticker with
2-56109_D

The number on the labels is
WB256109D

LP Spine has the WB 56109 B (BS2846) and says... STEREO. They modified a USA Stereo cover for the german stereo releas and added two stickers to the stereo german cover to use with the cd4 lp. Cheaper than a specific quad print.

Also, re-examining the runout groove, it may be that WB USA sent a pair of their CD4 stamper in Germany where they applied the Manufactured in Germany line, since the number in the groove is BS4 2846 which is not present anywhere on the labels.

Does the Passport disc mention where it has been CUTTED? JVC Los Angeles?

Last edited:
Back