Re-birth of Ambisonics and Soundfield Microphones?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, it's impossible to prevent standing waves as these are an intrinsic property of the dimensions of the room, but it is possible by careful loudspeaker and listenting positioning to reduce the rate at which they are stimulated (eg, as recommended by the late Peter Walker (Quad) as a starting point, placing the speakers 1/7th of the way along each room diagonal and listening about ⅓ rd from the rear wall). It gets complicated with non rectangular rooms.

Sadly, it's impossible to prevent standing waves as these are an intrinsic property of the dimensions of the room, but it is possible by careful loudspeaker and listenting positioning to reduce the rate at which they are stimulated (eg, as recommended by the late Peter Walker (Quad) as a starting point, placing the speakers 1/7th of the way along each room diagonal and listening about ⅓ rd from the rear wall). It gets complicated with non rectangular rooms.
I’m also going to be limited by the presence of a doorway in one of the side walls , such that the speakers need to be either in front of or behind it ; if in front I will be sitting too close , and behind I will have less than a metre from the rear wall , which is not great for ESL63s , so some heavy drapes on the two end walls may be the only solution .

I will experiment when I move in

Drapes should help a little with room reverb and a little with 1st reflections, thus helping with imaging and comb filtering colouration but really won’t do much with LF at all, sadly. Doorways can be a bit of an acoustic hazard, esp if a door is left open. I would recommend you consider using a little professional standard room treatment if possible.

I use a Quad 10L sub, the very first 10L they made (12 inch, infinite baffle & 300 W RMS amp) with a crossover at 54Hz. The four ESLs together in an ambisonic setup like mine handle everything >54Hz pretty well and the speakers can be a little closer in to the corners than would be ideal otherwise.

Incidentally, even UHJ ambisonics reproduces LF pretty accurately, although full B-format would do an even better job.

Peter Walker’s advice helps mainly with room modes in the mid range, reducing colouration.

Back