Recommendations for "2.1" powered system for bedroom

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strilo

Staff member
I'd like to find some sort of simple powered system for listening to music in my room. I'd like two small speakers for my nightstands, plus a powered subwoofer. Mostly this would be for music at low levels as I fall asleep or wake up. Occasionally it would be louder when I am working around the house. The music source will be a Mac Mini I use as a music server, via the headphones port on the Mini. Suggestions?

I'd like to find some sort of simple powered system for listening to music in my room. I'd like two small speakers for my nightstands, plus a powered subwoofer. Mostly this would be for music at low levels as I fall asleep or wake up. Occasionally it would be louder when I am working around the house. The music source will be a Mac Mini I use as a music server, via the headphones port on the Mini. Suggestions?

Any type of 2.1 speakers will do. I would only spend about $25 for what you're trying to do.

Unfortunately, no way to output Multichannel with a Mac mini to say, 5.1 speakers AFAIK.

In a way. It would somewhat depend on which route I went. If I were to go with basically nice computer speakers, I would be willing to spend like $100-200 most likely. If I were to go with something more like a powered bookshelf speaker or even a small amp with efficient bookshelf speakers, I might be willing to spend more.

As a lark, I looked up to see if Paradigm makes anything and I found the Millenia CT 2. I really shouldn't spend that much for my bedroom, but.... it's going on the Dream list:

https://www.paradigm.com/products-current/model=millenia-ct-2/page=overview

I was looking for a similar type speaker for my sons bedroom system and I've heard good things about this speaker. He wants blue tooth and this has that capability, but it also has a line in connection. The use of a 5" woofer like this is on the large side for a small powered speaker, which is good as he won't be using a sub (at least not yet). I'm sure you could include the sub of your choice though.

The biggest drawback for him is he has to have a wired connection between the two speakers.

Is it just me or has the industry all but abandoned these 2.1 computer speakers for anyone but gamers?

I did this with a vintage receiver and a pair of Minimus 7s. For me, I wanted stereo but most of the time I use it in mono at low volume, so a mono button and a balance control were essential. Most nights I listen but my wife doesn't. I didn't bother with a sub, but it wouldn't be hard to add one.

Mini 7s are a great choice for WAF as they are so easy to paint to match.

GEDC1781_zpskdcfywvv.jpg

Look into the lines of small pro-audio powered speakers primarily used for home recording studios. They start as low as about $80 a pair and of course you can spend silly money on them as well.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors/low2high

I personally use a pair of Yamaha HS-50Ms (they run about $200 a piece and probably have been discontinued by now) along with a JBL powered sub I had lying around from an old system for my home studio and it sounds really good.

I'd suggest going down to the nearest Guitar Center or other large music store and listening to some. They should have several difference makes and models in stock and on display. These stores also very often have display or used gear on sale, too.

Last edited:
Back