regular hours

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
quad-logo.jpg

EZMax - Surrounding you with Beautiful Music
As program manager of EZMax Music I've reached two life-long goals. I am now able to offer to anyone with an internet connection, any where in the world - the most beautiful music ever put to vinyl; 24 hours a day. There was a time when every radio market had several "Beautiful Music" format radio stations. In NYC we had more than 5 beginning in the late 1950's and continuing for more than 20 years.
Now, even in the most diverse and densely populated city on earth, there is not a single such station. Yet, world wide, the music continues in print, and continues to sell.
So a fellow I have never met, who was introduced to me by a friend, a jock at WCBS-FM (Bob Shannon), and for whom I have provided some programs over the past 14 years offered me this position. It's not music he likes - but he did agree that it does have an audience, and that audience is under-served. And thus EZMax Music was born.
Thanks Ron Kovacs.

The other goal was to, in my own little way, bring back surround sound - more specifically quadraphonic sound.
Fortunately, many of the orchestras and performers we feature on EZMax have released recordings in quad. Further - the system of "encoding" 4 channels onto two, allows us to broadcast these, and allows the listener to feed the sound through a home theater system, and experience this beautiful music in a surround environment. Most of the quad recordings we play were either originally made in a system that is fully compatible with dolby pro-logic - or exist in a discrete format that allows us to encode them into at compatible system.

So it's multiples of 2's - 2pm every Tuesday for 2 hours - and again on Thursday at 2pm (NYC time)* - we'll be playing a full program of great music, in true matrix quadraphonic sound. We may feature specific albums, or performers, or mix it up - but here's another fun-fact; The "matrix" system we are using mixes (or encodes) the 4 channels by shifting the phases of the various sources. When listening to these recordings through stereo headphones - Those phase shifts trick the brain into thinking there are sounds coming from behind you. So with no additional investment - you can experience a surround effect.

This Tuesday - following our cool Jazz at Lunch program we'll be in full swing with the best of the Big Band Classics - then Thursday, it's the world of string with 20 star guitars - all in QS Regular Matrix surround!

*both programs will repeat at midnight that same day

Back