Requesting Updates for the Quad Radio Broadcast Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly none of the re-broadcasts have ever used the quad master. I guess it couldn't hurt to check.

That looks correct, as sadly the DAT is a later Genesis concert. I have just listened to some of it and the 2nd track is "No Son Of Mine" from 1991s "We Can't Dance", so the Knebworth gig is only on reel-to-reel (which I have found). Probably was broadcast in 2007 - thought it might be a rebroadcast I recorded from an earlier BBC concert.

What I have discovered is that my portable DAT which I haven't used in years won't play tapes, which is annoying as it has never had that much use. Luckily my full size DAT will.

Television wouldn't have, and a simulcast may have been unlikely, but that doesn't mean there wasn't a separate radio broadcast.

It's not impossible. In the late 1980s(?) and early 1990s British TV got Nicam digital stereo sound, which was very lightly compressed to reduce the bit rate (32KHz sampling, 10 bit data with 4 bit exponent to give 14 bits dynamic range with 10 bits of precision). This wouldn't have damaged quad matrix encoding. The question is whether any quad encoded stereo audio was ever broadcast after this date.

Before that we only had mono sound on analogue TV. But as other people have said, there were occasional simulcasts with FM stereo radio. For example Live Aid was simulcast on BBC Radio 1 FM, I remember watching on the TV with the sound turned off and playing the sound (and recording it to cassette) on my dad's stereo FM receiver.

Now we have digital TV, all the high definition channels can have sterero or 5.1 audio. But we're talking legacy analogue TV really for this discussion.

Just stumbled across this thread and had a couple of things to add, and I apologize for any redundant info.
5) WXRT Chicago apparently made a bunch of SQ broadcasts in the late 70's.

A list of shows in the WXRT UnConcert series. No indication of which ones were in quad: http://tourarchive.weebly.com/wxrt-fm-chicago-un-concert-archive-1973-1979.html

An article about quad broadcasts on WXRT that names some of the shows without listing dates (but hopefully these are listed in the first article - I'm multitasking and haven't looked): https://qconline.com/life/former-qu...cle_fc0bf50f-852e-58c6-84d5-1faeb5379e83.html

Not mentioned in the second article, but the Talking Heads show recorded 28 August 1978 and broadcast 15 October 1978 is thought to have been quad encoded.

Last edited:
A list of shows in the WXRT UnConcert series. No indication of which ones were in quad: http://tourarchive.weebly.com/wxrt-fm-chicago-un-concert-archive-1973-1979.html

An article about quad broadcasts on WXRT that names some of the shows without listing dates (but hopefully these are listed in the first article - I'm multitasking and haven't looked): https://qconline.com/life/former-qu...cle_fc0bf50f-852e-58c6-84d5-1faeb5379e83.html

Not mentioned in the second article, but the Talking Heads show recorded 28 August 1978 and broadcast 15 October 1978 is thought to have been quad encoded.

Thanks for the links and getting to look into this. I think it is plausible the Ken did not record every show from '73-'79 so we do not know all the shows he did. We do know that he did use a 4-track reel to record the shows and I assume to give more options by adjusting the levels of the 4 channels while mixing to stereo for the broadcast. I say this from listening to the Cars Quadio release by Romanotrax.
We know Ken was involved in some SQ releases but according to this post from Bob at least one broadcast was not SQ encoded
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...lcasts-other-than-bbc-kbfh.20667/#post-305194

I have not run across any shows that mention SQ in the broadcast. It might have been edited out on the cassettes I had. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

Last edited:
A couple minor corrections @Mark Anderson .

Mark ,
The Jack Bruce Band show was the first BBC Matrix H rock concert (not HJ) broadcast on the first day of the BBC Quad season April 30, 1977.
it was introduced by Pete Drummond and he provided a short Matrix H quadraphonic test by saying "hello" in each speaker separately (clockwise ) that's 4x.
The same show was made available in SQ via Transcription Services.

Also Shakti w/John Mclaughlin was Matrix H , not HJ , broadcast May 28 ,1977.

There is a little more to correct , but I'll get it to you later.

Fizzy :)

On the subject of Quadraphonic broadcasts in Canada , specifically Toronto with station engineer Andrew Marshall.....the show that he had in Quadraphonic matrix was known as "In The Middle Of The Music" (not night).
This is a quote from his Magazine :

"Having played a lot of quad records on the radio in the 70's , both on the CBC Stereo network (In The Middle Of The Music) and on my CKFM Toronto SuperSound Show , I still have quite a few in my collection , mostly SQ , ranging from several Paul Simon albums to BBC transcriptions of Proms and other live musical events."

-From Audio Ideas Guide , Magazine , page 22 Vol. 19 #3

That piece is part of his comment on the SQ performance of the Cantares SSP-1 Ambisonic decoder w/SQ matrix.

@Mark Anderson

Also worth noting for The BBC Matrix H and HJ quad broadcasts :

Two BBC Promenade Concerts broadcast in August 76 were secretly encoded in Matrix H quad .

BBC Radio begins experimental quad broadcasting in Matrix ( you have HJ in error)
-That should be broadcasting in Matrix H quad for 1977.(not HJ)
The official BBC Quad broadcasting commences April 30th 1977 and continues throughout the rest of the year.

BBC Radio experimental broadcasts in quadraphonic continue in 1978 but they switch to Matrix HJ quad , apart from early Jan 78 (still H) .... and one of the last broadcasts in BBC Matrix HJ quad is Genesis at Knebworth , July 01, 1978.

There's one more , an omission.

Chicago Kool Jazz Festival in SQ.

Here's a picture of my Fosgate Demo tape with two quad tracks , from 1982.
The tape contains 10 SQ encoded tracks # 01 to #10 , the rest are stereo .
You'll notice 2 are FM broadcasts in SQ ,from The Chicago Kool Jazz Festival - #06 and # 07.

Attachments

• 20210430_124918.jpg
    20210430_124918.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210430_124934.jpg
    20210430_124934.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 77
Back