HiRez Poll Return to Forever - MUSICMAGIC [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Return to Forever - MUSICMAGIC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I asked last week and a repress is on the way :)
So much for the "very limited" pressing of this title. That is what they said when they announced it's upcoming release.

I guess they did expect it to be a smaller run and then that would be it. But it sold out before licensing ran out and interest still seems strong. I'd rather see their releases require a repress, rather than be a limited run.

I started out with the AF release and was intrigued but not impressed. I remember it being bass shy.
The style was a little shocking. Especially the vocals
I would use it as background music on a sunny day in the yard. No serious listening.
I wanted to add something to my DV Santana order so I thought "what the heck" This quad version was a revelation. It sounded so good it enticed me to sit down and really listen.
First thing I realized is that a surround speaker with two 5.25 inch woofers is inadequate for these old school quad mixes. But hey that's my fault. I simply crossed over the surrounds higher and spread the bass around to my 4 subwoofers. I could still hear Stanley plucking away nice & clear plus I got the bass that was missing on the AF version.
The fidelity is fantastic. All the instruments sound natural. It's like I can reach out and touch the musician. A wonderful mix. I enjoy this more after each listen. It has really grown on me.
I probably wouldn't listed to this kind of music if it was just bland stereo.
Thank you DV for widening my horizons.

I'm not ready to rate this yet, having only listened to it once, but I wanted to say that I really agree with sjcorne's analysis of this album. I think the only thing it's guilty of is not sounding like Romantic Warrior - what I love about it is exactly what sjcorne pointed out, that if you were describing the sound, you'd have to use a combination of a whole bunch of other bands to do it. One of my first thoughts listening to this album today in quad was "I don't know how you couldn't call this album a musical achievement" - I can understand being disappointed that it doesn't sound like Romantic Warrior, but there are so many quieter more nuanced bits on this album that would have been totally obliterated by the hi-octane riffing of the Romantic Warrior lineup. It's not to say one is better and one is worse, just that they're both different and I'm glad that they both exist.

This has the same right rear drums/left rear bass layout as the Tower of Power disc, but I think it works better than ToP for some reason - maybe because in a band like this the drums don't need to dominate the mix the same way they do in a funk or R&B band. As sjcorne and dave-wave noted, there's tons of bass in the rear speakers - it really made me wish I had a setup that featured four enormous floorstanding speakers, that's for sure. It's interesting actually, there seem to be a few of these '76/'77 era Columbia quads with no quad remix engineer credited that have the same right rear drums/left rear bass type of quad mix - this and Tower of Power are two, and Fredblue tells me that the Miracles 'Love Crazy' is another. I wonder if the same mysterious engineer did them all, because aside from Sly and the Family Stone's Greatest Hits, I can't think of many (or any) other quad mixes they put out between '72 and '75 that use that type of mixing style.

The biggest revalation for me on the first listen of this disc surprisingly was the (oft-maligned) vocals. Some of the lyrics are a bit cringeworthy, but I was struck by just how lifelike the timbre(4) of Gayle Moran's voice was on the opening track was, almost enough to make your armhair stand up. I was also really taken with how much multitracked vocals there are - people think of this album as being the one where they had a singer, but some real thought was put in to the execution of the vocals (especially the harmonised chorus parts) and I think it only really shows in the quad mix when things are panned to all four speakers.

I think 'weird' is one of the best words to describe this album, but it's weird in the best way. I was a child of the 80s, where music more often than not was very strict 3 minute verse/chorus/verse type stuff, so discovering albums like this as a teenager in the 90s, i felt like Alice going through the looking glass - 10 minute songs! crazy structures! weird synthesizers! long solos!

I haven't voted on this one yet, only having listened to it once, but it will be at least a 9 from me. The only reason I could see not giving it a 10 is that there are albums I like more (what would I give them, 11?) and the drums/bass in the rear mixing style isn't my favourite. I was bowled over by how good the disc sounds though, absolute reference quality in my opinion. It's a travesty that this quad mix (and so many others) have only been heard in discrete form on 8-track tape, which has less than half the frequency response of this new SACD.

Oh dear. I hate this on the Billy Paul disc, maybe because bass guitar fluctuates in volume track to track and drums also in front left on some tracks.

It’s a perfectly balanced quad mix I could find nothing I would change. A good album in stereo turns out to be great in quad.

I called this release from DV a “rolling out the carpet “ for the AF quad fans right at a pivotal moment, the moment that AF confirmed (in different words) that no more 4.0 was likely to appear again. DV steps in like a savior from heaven with RTF in quad, a title just out on AF. No fear of a commercial "stiff" being that it was just out in SACD, DV throws caution to the wind and hits a home run.

Last edited:
Finally popped for this release (along with the "American Woman" and "Share The Land" two-fer) and I am stunned by the beauty of this disc! This is one Quad I have been unable to own in an analog format, and I must say that the fidelity of the music is top-notch; the Quad image is very discrete and totally unsmeared. This is, unusually, a 4.0 disc that does not require me to boost my rears in order to get an accurate 4-channel soundfield; the front-to-back balance is excellent. I love the side-to-side interplay of Stanley Clarke's vocals with Gayle Morgan on the title track and elsewhere. I can only assume that Chick, being the producer, was also responsible for the original's active Quad mix, and it's truly wonderful.

So very glad to have this, finally. 10 of 10 for me.

Edit: And a very honorable mention to David Zimmerman for his wonderful booklet notes. We never get history about Quad releases like this, and it's great.

It’s a perfectly balanced quad mix I could find nothing I would change. A good album in stereo turns out to be great in quad.

I called this release from DV a “rolling out the carpet “ for the AF quad fans right at a pivotal moment, the moment that AF confirmed (in different words) that no more 4.0 was likely to appear again. DV steps in like a savior from heaven with RTF in quad, a title just out on AF. No fear of a commercial "stiff" being that it was just out in SACD, DV throws caution to the wind and hits a home run.
Sorry, not familiar with all acronyms here. What is AF in this context?

Here I am sitting in my sweet spot.
It's the comfy chair time in the garden, hat on head to prevent beetrootitus...🙂
This is another remarkable output by the one and only Wizard of Watford.
It would be fascinating to actually get to see the master at work and learn how he manages to transform all these quad recordings into new works of art.
I digress, this is right up there with the best he has released. It has everything we look for in our beloved pastime.
I shall play it again later this evening, when the pink moon is coming out!!
A musically magic 10

Here I am sitting in my sweet spot.
It's the comfy chair time in the garden, hat on head to prevent beetrootitus...🙂
This is another remarkable output by the one and only Wizard of Watford.
It would be fascinating to actually get to see the master at work and learn how he manages to transform all these quad recordings into new works of art.
I digress, this is right up there with the best he has released. It has everything we look for in our beloved pastime.
I shall play it again later this evening, when the pink moon is coming out!!
A musically magic 10

there's a maaaaaan
who's come through it alllllll,
he's in his sweet spot..
his hat keeps the heat off
his French golden delicious..
he loves the Watford Wiz,
he's the beerking!

cue trumpets!!! 🎺

Last edited:
Just realized I had yet to rate this quad album.

I think it's the last quad dual inventory by Columbia Records (CBS).

Weird musically I think anyway. Nice quad mix though.
Fredblue and Steelydave have pointed out that the mix is from Bogert/Vincent because of the rear channel selection (bass and drums).
I tend to believe people in the know , so Steely should and would be correct.
Quad mix engineering solved.
Afterall he saw the multi ch boxes from A&M in Hollywood.
And Bogert/Vincent are associated with A&M 's Hollywood studio.
(btw This has been pointed out in the" stealth quad "thread for my benefit )
As always , great job Steely. And mucho thanks to Fredblue as well. :)

This is a winner for anyone who loves jazz fusion , myself, I love the synths in this . They have better albums but sorry this is the only quad for RTF.

I Rate this an EIGHT.

:)

PS a little missing info on the sacd album credits.
(no mention of A&M Studios)

20210315_175159.jpg

Attachments

• 20210315_175251.jpg
    20210315_175251.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210315_180241.jpg
    20210315_180241.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 3
Yes, the quad mix as it appears on this SACD takes a B or B- album and makes it an A+ Really quite an accomplishment.
I find the same to be true of Art Garfunkel's Angel Clare.
I owned neither of them in straight stereo, so I had nothing with which to compare the quads. However, I do find that a well recorded, well mixed, multichannel presentation is necessary to enjoy all the best aspects of a recording...and that's not just sometimes, but all the time.

Back