Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all...i'm trying to rip some blu rays using Makemkv and then Dvd Audio Extractor......however i dont know what to do once the backup (decrypted) is made by Makemkv......from Dvd Audio Extractor i dont know which files i need to open. None of the files created by Makemkv have a Dvd structure.....im just stuck at this point. Any of you have a detailed Tutorial (step by step) on how to rip the 5.1 files? Thanks and regards.

Click "open DVD files" on the DVDAE dropdown menu and just select the entire blu ray folder.

The actual data is usually found in the "STREAM" folder as .m2ts files.

Also make sure you have the latest version of DVDAE so it'll read the lossless audio stream and not just the 48khz core.

Now when I’ve learned how to rip SACD, it’s time to move on to the rest. Quick question before I give this a go: dvd audio extractor seems to rip blurays now, any reason to use makemkv and dvdae if dvdae can do it on the fly? Or is there a catch?

What Antoinne is saying indeed. Myself I save the bd as decrypted backup with makemkv and then use dvdae to browde to the folder and extract the tracks.
So above the extracted files you’re listening to, you also keep a backup with the decrypted mkv? Also there’s a second backup in terms of the physical product?

There is another way to do the extraction.

Use MakeMKV to create an MKV file. Very often you can tell what chapters (files) you need right from MakeMKV directory scan.

Then use Audiomuxer to rip the Audio from the MKV file to FLAC.

Also: Not all BRDs are non-ripable in AVDAE. It can handle some of the early encryption schemes.

MakeMKV to rip
mkvmerge to split into chapters (mkvmerge -o ${OUTPUT} --split "chapters:all" ${SOURCE})
ffmpeg to rip into tracks (ffmpeg -i ${SOURCE} -map 0:${STREAM_NUM} -vn -sn ${OUTPUT}) [-acodec copy if DTS-HD)
perl to automate it so all I need to do is tags and artwork, I use Tag & Rename for that.

MakeMKV to rip
mkvmerge to split into chapters (mkvmerge -o ${OUTPUT} --split "chapters:all" ${SOURCE})
ffmpeg to rip into tracks (ffmpeg -i ${SOURCE} -map 0:${STREAM_NUM} -vn -sn ${OUTPUT}) [-acodec copy if DTS-HD)
perl to automate it so all I need to do is tags and artwork, I use Tag & Rename for that.

Why use simple GUI's when you can make it more complicated!

Automation is complicated? Having used DVDAE I can guarantee that I can digest and store quicker and with less intervention with command line than with the GUI.
You are probably right about the digesting, storage and intervention parts. Its the cryptic nature of the command line language that is complicated and puts people off. Maybe using the GUI kills fewer brain cells.

Sure, that was obvious by the zero value snark delivered in that post. It is also why I put it in perl scripts so I can just say perl blurayextract.plx and walk away until it is tagging time.

Automation is complicated? Having used DVDAE I can guarantee that I can digest and store quicker and with less intervention with command line than with the GUI.

Scripts are a pain to write, but I love that I only have to get it correct once, after which I can just use it forever without forgetting something vital.

Just a question out of curiousity. Do you guys rip the entire content from the discs? Take XTC Skylarking, the total mkv-size is over 30 gb!

Last edited:
Just a question out of curiousty. Do you guys rip the entire content from the discs? Take XTC Skylarking, the total mkv-size is over 30 gb!

I usually keep lossless multichannel, DTS and stereo for maximum flexibility.

The MKV files are huge because they also have video. If you just convert the audio to flac and dump the MKVs you'll save space, though depending on how you play your ripped files that may not work for you.

Back