HiRez Poll Roxy Music - AVALON [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Roxy Music - AVALON

• Total voters
Brings back memories of a much simpler time. Nice reflective music, very good sound. My only mix-related nit: would be improved with more drum action across the sound stage. Seems very centered.

Overall a 9 for me.

I finally got a copy, from FYE of all places! They had a used copy listed at $72 on their site (I guess they know it's OOP and really rare) - I used a $10 off purchase $50 or over sale code and some store credit from an item I returned to knock it down to like $30.

I absolutely love it! The mix is very aggressive and the content is very accessible. Great for late night listening, turn the lights down and the sounds just swirl around. For me the standout is the guitar fills bursting out of the rear left channel during "Take A Chance With Me". Clearmountain's liner notes are a fun touch - it's clear this was a real passion project for him, and he did an amazing job overcoming some master tape issues.

Gotta give it a 10. One of my new favorite SACDs.

I just noticed I hadn’t voted on this one. I’d be a fool or lying if I didn’t vote a “10” on this one. The music is superb, has always been superb and always will be superb until and after the day I die. The mix is fantastic and only playful in the songs that work. Genius is a good word to use hear. I mean here. Or, is it there? Anyway, one of my top 10 surround mixes of all time.

Listening under almost perfect conditions. A very good SACD, surrounds used well, a playful mix at times. Sound quality excellent, content (music and lyrics) and the intangibles make this a high nine.
If you wait until you have the Perfect conditions, you’ll be giving it a 10. :cool:

I've been making my own surround compilations for years now. Just figured out how to rip the tracks from the SACD discs and made a comp with tracks from Avalon and Bryan Ferry's Boys And Girls sacds. Sounds heavenly.

If only we could get a 5.1 mix of Bête Noire including the non-album singles Is Your Love Strong Enough and Help Me, I would truly be thankful. I do admit that they would have made more sense as bonus tracks on Boys And Girls but I just dreaming out loud. :)

If only we could get a 5.1 mix of Bête Noire including the non-album singles Is Your Love Strong Enough and Help Me, I would truly be thankful. I do admit that they would have made more sense as bonus tracks on Boys And Girls but I just dreaming out loud. :)

I would love to have it along with so many others. I didn't like Bete nearly as well as Boys And Girls though. I always thought of Boy And Girls as Avalon 2 sonically and they go together very well on my surround compilation. I actually think the surround on B & G is better than Avalon and is one of my favorite surround discs.

I can only attest to the brilliance of the 2014 stereo-only SACD-SHM disc put out in Japan. On that evidence, Avalon could well be one of the best sounding albums I've ever heard.

I can only imagine how great the surround mx sounds - and wonder why-oh-why they didn't include it in the recent SACD release!!!???

I can only attest to the brilliance of the 2014 stereo-only SACD-SHM disc put out in Japan. On that evidence, Avalon could well be one of the best sounding albums I've ever heard.

I can only imagine how great the surround mx sounds - and wonder why-oh-why they didn't include it in the recent SACD release!!!???

Welcome to the forum:hi

Back