• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not request or offer for sale or trade copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Roxy Music - ROXY MUSIC [DTS DVD]

Rate the DTS DVD of Roxy Music - ROXY MUSIC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

4-earredwonder

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
OMG!!! You can get the Japanese box set for less than that on the Amazon UK site. I too hate the games that Amazon plays with their prices. Thats why I get mail daily from SuperDeluxeEditions.com
Yeah, but the s/h charge [MOST especially, expedited] from Japan would be pretty astronomical as this set weighs a ton http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UICY-78583?s_ssid=e4368d5abc3df4b56f

But for those interested, all the RBCDs [3] in the Japanese ROXY boxset are SHM~CDs.

Last edited:

Ninecats

400 Club - QQ All Star
I have always liked the early glam of the 70s, as well as some of the progressive music done in the same era. Roxy Musics debut is a perfect match, still the most adventurous album they did - finding out that Steven had done a 5.1 mix of this made me feel like a child on christmas morning. And so the announcement came... as well as the prize. Still too expensive I imagine, I managed to snatch it for $64 and even though the book alone is a piece of art I still find the regular cost of $120+ simply too much. But anyway, I probably would have gotten this anyway...

The mix? Fucking perfect!! It makes the album so justice, Enos quirky sounds, good separation, good fidelity, it’s just a pleasure to crank this.

I have to give this a 10, much for the long time coming and still meet my high expectations and upon that, maybe one of Stevens finest mixes yet.

Another 9 from me. Only played the 5.1 mix so far, but love it. DTS is a healthy constant 6.4Mbps. Got it from amazon.com for 98 AUD (including shipping to Aus). The recently opened amazon.com.au website has it for 143 AUD! Nice packaging etc, but could have done with an XTC style package and price.

Oh my goodness - I remember buying this when it first came out. Those days were all about Zeppelin, Sabbath, Wishbone, Yes, Tull, Groundhogs, Ten Years After, etc. - and then these guys came along. What?! We hard rock guys were avoiding all things glam, even Bowie, for goodness sake. And now these weirdos turn up - and we all fell in love with them instantly. I still don't get why we gave them the pass we didn't give to the other "make-up and lipstick" artists. Or bands with a saxophonist? Or songs about 'romance' (yeughh!!). Or singing that is so mannered? Or crazy synthesizer freaks - what was an "Eno" anyway? And yet fall in love we did! Was it the amazing rock guitar stylings, the terrific drumming, the spacy soundscapes, or just the sheer wonderful ridiculousness of it all? What on earth was that "Bob MedLey" all about anyway?

This first Roxy album is still my favorite - the shock of the new (or at least different!)... And how wonderful to hear it in magnificent 5.1. So playful and entertaining, so immersive, so involving. I gave it a 9 - as the sound still doesn't have quite the bottom end to thump it along, and a pity about DVD-Video too. But I'm having so much fun - isn't it great to hear Manzanera soloing all the way through Re-Make, only to strum a few chords when it is his turn to take the solo break later in the song? And to hear the wonderful Eno soundscape inviting us to into Ladytron. And all that crazy swirling stuff in Bob. And the screeching guitar/synthesizer on Chance Meeting. Never mind the rollicking delight to be had with dear old Virginia Plain...

The extras and packaging are also tremendous. It is such a treat to hear all that BBC material - in many ways those versions of the songs are even better than the takes that made the album.

By the way, when my Dad saw the cover, he asked me why I was bringing such inappropriate images into our home. But he stole a second look anyway. Ha!
Imagine his reaction if it had been the Country Life album...

himey

800 Club - QQ All Star
Another 9 from me. Only played the 5.1 mix so far, but love it. DTS is a healthy constant 6.4Mbps. Got it from amazon.com for 98 AUD (including shipping to Aus). The recently opened amazon.com.au website has it for 143 AUD! Nice packaging etc, but could have done with an XTC style package and price.
Maximum bitrate for DTS is 1.5 (1509kbps). Not sure where you are seeing 6.4Mbps? Possibly your processor is sending out a converted PCM signal which wouldn't degrade the sound, but of course wouldn't improve it despite the larger amount of data being sent.

Maximum bitrate for DTS is 1.5 (1509kbps). Not sure where you are seeing 6.4Mbps? Possibly your processor is sending out a converted PCM signal which wouldn't degrade the sound, but of course wouldn't improve it despite the larger amount of data being sent.
Good point...I have my oppo send everything to the amp via PCM because my amp cannot play the the more modern surround sound formats. It can do DTS 96/24 so I switched to 'bitstream', rebooted the machine, tried again, and.....still 6.XMbps. Amp shows a DTS 96/24 signal is being fed to it. Now I am confused...or is my oppo confused...

I have always liked the early glam of the 70s, as well as some of the progressive music done in the same era. Roxy Musics debut is a perfect match, still the most adventurous album they did - finding out that Steven had done a 5.1 mix of this made me feel like a child on christmas morning. And so the announcement came... as well as the prize. Still too expensive I imagine, I managed to snatch it for $64 and even though the book alone is a piece of art I still find the regular cost of $120+ simply too much. But anyway, I probably would have gotten this anyway...

The mix? Fucking perfect!! It makes the album so justice, Enos quirky sounds, good separation, good fidelity, it’s just a pleasure to crank this.

I have to give this a 10, much for the long time coming and still meet my high expectations and upon that, maybe one of Stevens finest mixes yet.
Yes, I am glad Steve Wilson did a 're-make / re-model' of this album...

Is this the same album that was released in 1972? I feel like I am having entirely different experience listening to this in 5.1. Isn't that exactly what we love about surround sound. The whole box set is outstanding. Add it to my list of demo box sets.

beerking

I have raved about this group since I first heard them in 1971.
This is just magic to my ears.
As previous reviewers have said, nothing less than 11....!!
Damn, where is it..
C'mon it must be there ...
Who removed the sacred legs eleven?
It says 11 on my Marshall Amp so I know its out there....;):)