Running amp without speakers.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xdevo1973

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running 2 Lafayette LA64s so that I can accommodate multiple devices, decoders and tape loops, etc. I only use the speaker outputs on one of them. The other one serves as a hub for everything. I was pondering whether or not I'm hurting the amp with no speakers connected. I keep the volumes all the way down. Should I pull the amp B+ fuses just to be on the safe side?

Solid state power amplifiers don't care if there are speakers (loads) across the output or not. In fact, there will be no current flow through the output devices in that case. No current, no heat.

Doug

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running 2 Lafayette LA64s so that I can accommodate multiple devices, decoders and tape loops, etc. I only use the speaker outputs on one of them. The other one serves as a hub for everything. I was pondering whether or not I'm hurting the amp with no speakers connected. I keep the volumes all the way down. Should I pull the amp B+ fuses just to be on the safe side?

I use an old NAD receiver for switching sources, a tuner, and a phono preamp without any speakers connected to it. No problems here. Tape out to an Audio Alchemy preamp which goes to a Conrad-Johnson amp.

Back