Rush "Hemispheres" (40th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah but that's $88 USD on Amazon.com. After the conversion to CAD plus duties and shipping it's right there with the $134 CAD on Amazon.ca

I guess I’m in the minority here because I think this thing sounds great. Is it a great surround mix? No, but it still sounds great. It widens the sound field and sounds better than it ever has. I felt the same way about 2112, and I won’t hesitate if and when my favorite Rush album, Permanent Waves, is presented in 5.1.

Now, in fairness, if you order veal parmesan and they bring you chicken parmesan, sure - it’s disappointing. But once you get past the fact that it’s not what you were hoping for, you can appreciate it for what it is.

I guess I’m in the minority here because I think this thing sounds great. Is it a great surround mix? No, but it still sounds great. It widens the sound field and sounds better than it ever has. I felt the same way about 2112, and I won’t hesitate if and when my favorite Rush album, Permanent Waves, is presented in 5.1.

Now, in fairness, if you order veal parmesan and they bring you chicken parmesan, sure - it’s disappointing. But once you get past the fact that it’s not what you were hoping for, you can appreciate it for what it is.

But when you think you're getting Steve Wilson and the waiter brings you Rich Chycki, I'd be in no RUSH to pay the check .... and screw the tip!:ROFLMAO:it's that simple!

Last edited:
The thing with me, dr. simple, is it doesn't improve on the stereo experience, at least not on my system. Yes, there are some surround moments, and I'd love to enjoy them, but the distant lead vocal and blaring guitar solos kind of kill it for me.
I flip back to the stereo and it sounds better.
I A/B with Chycki's past Rush mixes and they sound better.
I'm not comparing Chycki to Wilson, just Chycki to Chycki. I wish this were as listenable as Chycki's past Rush mixes. A 6, 7 or 8 I can live with.

I don't understand the talk about distant lead vocals,the vocal is loud and clear on my setup.Have you checked the level match on the center?
Guitar solos are ment to be blaring.:rocks
Explain level match.
Regarding the distant vocal, have you A/Bed it to the stereo and to any of Chycki's past Rush mixes? On the same set up, no configuration changes.

The thing with me, dr. simple, is it doesn't improve on the stereo experience, at least not on my system. Yes, there are some surround moments, and I'd love to enjoy them, but the distant lead vocal and blaring guitar solos kind of kill it for me.
I flip back to the stereo and it sounds better.
I A/B with Chycki's past Rush mixes and they sound better.
I'm not comparing Chycki to Wilson, just Chycki to Chycki. I wish this were as listenable as Chycki's past Rush mixes. A 6, 7 or 8 I can live with.

See, that's the thing. I obviously have a child-like interest in multiple speakers and hocketing sounds around them. But you still need to at least try to make a mix!
Sometimes bonus tracks of questionable worth are still welcome as an aside too. Treating a surround mix as a novelty to the point that the mix isn't even remotely reasonable though? Come on now! Just how the heck am I supposed to get excited about a surround mix that pales next to the stereo mix? I've heard more immersive mono mixes, honestly!

I could give the "What the heck were they thinking" rant about a vinyl picture disk. Degraded sound bla bla bla. (FYI. Picture disks and colored vinyl have more noise.) But it still looks cool hanging on the wall at least. This release has no redeeming value. It fails embarrassingly badly as a surround remix and still just sucks as a pure novelty release.

Although the Original Stereo mix is on the BD, I felt a bit nostalgic and ripped the LP.
Found out VERY bright.
Curiously enough I did not get any sibilance so all is good in my camp since I LOVE bright sounding stuff...
Unfortunately the vinyl was not up to par and it was rather noisy, Side A more so than Side B.
From my experience this is not a bright sounding album and there isn't basically any info above 20K so it'll be interesting to see the spectrum comparison with the early pressings...

Back