Russ Solomon : Tower Records founder.. left the building

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in Boston in the late 90's I was in Tower Records often; a cool three (or four?) story set-up with escalators between each floor. I bought a good amount of cassettes and CDs there - and that was also the place where I first saw DVD-As (I distinctly remember seeing Steely Dan: Two Against Nature DVD-A). I also remember lining up for new releases at midnight on Monday nights, especially the above Steely Dan, and Pink Floyd: The Wall Live '80-'81. Used to buy Ticketmaster concert tickets there too.

Many years later in 2006, after Boston had closed, I was in Washington D.C. and tripped across Tower Records (thought they had all already closed) in it's final weeks of liquidation. Man, that was a sad sight and depressing experience.

Last edited:
I helped open the Tower store in New Orleans when I worked for one of (at the time) "big five' record companies and that store was one of my accounts for three years. They had the wackiest inventory system of any account I serviced. Each month they would go through the departments to check their individual budgets and if overstocked (and always were) they would pull massive amounts of product and return it to us. Then a week later, I would get a call like, "Hey, we just realized we don't have Frampton's Camel's 3rd album" or such and would go through our catalog and re-ordered everything they just returned. I didn't mind that (I got commission on the re-orders) but the buyers would give me attitude as if it was my fault they were out of stock on the very titles they just pulled and returned the week before.

Their hiring practice at that store was also a bit unusual. They hired people, not on their sales or music knowledge, but rather on their looks and personality. They wanted "interesting" people. A relatively normal looking person with sales experience would lose out on a job opening to someone with a face tattoo and 20 piercings who had never held a job. Considering that this was New Orleans, finding "interesting" people was no problem. lol

I did love their import LP & CD sections. I met Russ a few times and he was always great to be around. R.I.P.

Last edited:
I worked for Tower from '87-'97 in various capacities and locations. Russ (he never wanted anyone to call him Mr. Solomon) was a big influence on my life in terms of what I took from that job in the way of business and management philosophy. Tower was a unique store in many ways, not the least of which was the way everyone who ran the company came from the bottom up and the way each store was allowed to operate as autonomously as possible and each employee given the opportunity to be as involved and responsible for their own success as they were able and willing to be. The success I have had in my various business ventures since then I owe a great deal to always having Russ on one shoulder giving me his input.

Many people loved those stores for their unique atmosphere and culture but I don't know how many understand the degree to which all of that came from that "just be yourself and pretty much anything goes as long as you show up on time and do the work" ethic that all came from Russ.

I only ever met Russ a handful of times and had dinner and drinks with him, I believe, twice. But he was truly a good man with a good heart who put people before business. He wasn't a particularly great businessman---he let others in the company handle that part of it---but he had the vision to ride the wave of the booming record business in the 60s and turn it into something very special.

For anyone with fond memories of the store, I highly recommend Colin Hanks' documentary from a few years ago "All Things Must Pass". For some reason, I never got around to watching it but the night when I heard of Russ' passing, I downloaded it and watched it. It really hit the mark and was particularly on the spot for me as I personally knew almost everyone featured in the film from the company. While I don't have the fondest of memories of ALL of those people, virtually everyone who worked for the company and knew Russ personally loved him.

RIP, Russ. You will be missed by many. I'll sip on a glass of some good stuff tonight in your honor.

For anyone with fond memories of the store, I highly recommend Colin Hanks' documentary from a few years ago "All Things Must Pass". For some reason, I never got around to watching it but the night when I heard of Russ' passing, I downloaded it and watched it. It really hit the mark and was particularly on the spot for me as I personally knew almost everyone featured in the film from the company. While I don't have the fondest of memories of ALL of those people, virtually everyone who worked for the company and knew Russ personally loved him.

Scannen0001.jpg

Yep, highly recomended! A really interresting documentation of a record store chain.

I visited Towers at the left of Central Park when I visited New York in 1992. And maybe another one near the University in Manhattan, but I can't remember anymore since I found and visited a lot of record stores in NY.

-Kristian

View attachment 32452

Yep, highly recomended! A really interresting documentation of a record store chain.

I visited Towers at the left of Central Park when I visited New York in 1992. And maybe another one near the University in Manhattan, but I can't remember anymore since I found and visited a lot of record stores in NY.

-Kristian
I was part of the crew that went around to open up new stores for awhile. I opened up that Upper Manhattan store near the park. Spring of ‘93 actually IIRC. Good times.

Where to begin... starting with the present... 2017
When I travel back to San Diego for work, I have a ritual of being hosted for dinner and listening to music /viewing video for HOURS with an old friend I reunited with about 4 years ago. About 6 months ago, it was suggested we should watch All Things Must Pass. I must tell you that it took nearly 4 HOURS for us to watch it because we kept pausing to share record store memories! I met Rohn in 1974 at The Wherehouse (chain record stores frequented in the 1970s-80s) in El Cajon, CA. Over the years, he managed Licorice Pizza record stores (Pacific Beach being the most awesome) and later worked at Pacific Stereo as well! his wife Susan worked at LP stores in Los Angeles before moving down to San Diego. So we all have much in common when it comes to something like this.

Tower Records: San Diego Sports Arena location... 1973-1989 [a few visits to Sunset Blvd too]
My first actual visit was with my parents when I was 15; with a Capitol/Island Records $2.99 sale I scored these: Free - Heartbreaker, Traffic - Shootout at The Fantasy Factory, Mike Harrison - Smokestack Lightning, Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds, another copy of DSOTM as I was wearing mine out and I wanted the posters & stickers again. Quad tapes? YES. Future visits to the Tower Q8 tape wall were as if it was a shrine! They had a wide selection and stocked pretty well. My best friend was with me (now 16 and driving) when I bought Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow Q8 tape and we opened it in the parking lot and played it on my Lear Jet Q8 player in my 1967 Mustang. (it wasn't BBA II so we had to wrap our young minds around it) Another big ritual all the time was to go early to concerts, hit Tower, buy stuff, put it into the car and walk to the sports arena concert across the street. Those were heady days. Eventually Tower Video opened in a separate building to accommodate growth. Ah laserdiscs....

Tower Records: Chicago location (forgive me Linda, well south of downtown is all I remember)... 2003
I helped our rep sell and train a lot of software so he spiffed me a $100 tip. Let's eat and go to Tower Records! There were some import CDs I wanted, the DVD-A selection was very spotty and priced too high so I passed on them. I managed to burn through that $100 easily in 20 minutes of browsing. What was troubling about this visit was the presence of all kinds of merchandise that seemed out of place; there were cheap electronics and other items taking up floor space as if the desperation had already triggered some weird decisions about what was going to take up floor space.

Remember the good times and indeed some of the great people (and the weirdos*) who worked there. *joke: walking through the store with its purple hair-piercings-tattoos-oddball attire, a clean cut fellow goes back to speak the manager about the status of his employment application. The manager looked him up and down and then replied, "sorry kid, I don't think you're going to fit in here."

My recollection of Tower Records isn't quite as romantic as Tim's, nor other posters, as I was desperately trying to keep up with all the 'advances' in music reproduction. Crazy Eddie's was near Tower and it was seriously dizzying trying to decide between Laserdiscs, Import LPs, Import CDs [@ $20 a pop], DBX/CX encoded Vinyl, DVA~A, SACD, first stereo, then multichannel, 180g custom pressed Vinyl [Superdiscs as they were called] and trying to spend my hard earned $$$$ on the latest high end equipment on which to play these discs.

I remember the day I decided to purchase my Meridian 800 Reference DVD~A player [after comparing it to SONY's ridiculously expensive SCD~1 Stereo only SACD player] and running to Tower Records in Yonkers only to discover that their selection of DVD~As, was to put it mildly, atrocious and ABOVE list price [as was their SACD offerings]. Turned off by their paltry selection, I decided to embark on internet shopping where ALL the DVD~A discs were not only available, but heavily discounted with no sales tax imposed and FREE s/h.

Subsequent visits to Tower yielded more of the same.......Paltry selection of DVD~A/SACD and one had to bring handiwipes along to clean one's hands as they were seriously [no exaggeration] collecting dust.

I think we ALL miss the romanticism of frequenting our favorite Record Emporiums but seriously, folks, trying to keep up with ALL the schizophrenic, cockamamy formats bestowed upon us by the record conglomerates from LP > QUAD [LP SQ/QS/EV/CD~4]>Q8/QUAD Open Reel]> cassettes, > 8 tracks, > 'super discs' and then to RBCD and DVD~A, SACD , then to compressed RBCDs, the 'resurgence' of Vinyl [again] and a current niche resurgence of SACD and to a lesser extent BD~A is probably the main reason we now have the

AMAZON.COM MEGA, GIGUNDUS SUPERSTORE!!!!!!!!!!

where, under one GIGANTIC umbrella and if one is lucky, you can find ALL of the above with the click of a mouse.....NO handiwipes, required!

But, thankfully, we have QQ Forum for like minds [surround fanatics] to share that foregone romanticism as I don't ever recall meeting anyone in these record stores of days gone by who shared my passion for SURROUND SOUND!

And, wink, wink: Those VERY same record conglomerates still cannot decide TO THIS DAY how to DEFINITIVELY release their music as, IMO, it's still all over the map.

Last edited:
Don't know if you want to hear my story , but here it goes..
I was studying at Berklee when they opened the "Biggest record store in the world" in Boston...mind you , I was a Newbury comics fan, but , hey, I've always had a wide musical knowledge...So , on top of the Undergraduate classes, the proficency tests that I had to pass every semester on electric bass, the MP&E labs, the MP&E projects, being a tenor in the Berklee Choir AND having a girlfriend (ooohhh Anna!!!), I worked on Thursday afternoon/Nights and all day Sat and Sun.. ...,,ahhh the virtues of being young!!!
Got there and was part of the cashiers/stocking staff and sometimes the art dept. since I have very nice calligraphy, I used to write the artists names on the white dividers...
Saw many artists there.. Carly Simon (wow..she's a big girl!!), Jody Watley , who was a spoiled diva, Taylor Dayne, the guys from Wet Wet Wet, MICHAEL PALIN!!!!(who was lovely.. doing promo for "A fish called Wanda".. Cleese was supposed to be there but he proved to be too much of a diva!)..even met a Berklee classmate's Dad, a very famous mexican comedian, "Chavelo" who was a HUGE Jazz fan, and was very nice...

Made a few friends, among them Louis (a big black guy!), Lisa (a beautiful Black girl), and many whom I can't remember their name...One anecdote that still resonates was that Mike, our supervisor, was a really straight guy.. until I found out he was gay... and I thought my "gaydar" was functioning properly!!! Also had another supervisor named Mike, who I'll always remember cause every time that we asked him "CAN I go to the bathroom?" he'd always reply.."I don't know, CAN YOU???"..but he was very nice..
There was another supervisor (Bob?) who was older and a BIG AHOLE!!! But these were few and far between..most people were really nice, as long as you did your job..
Oh.. I almost forgot about Caroline Jones with whom I went to see Dan Reed Network who were opening for UB40 at Great Woods!!!
I was also smitten with a goth girl who was beautiful and was voluptuous.. Jennifer B... I even invited her for dinner (I COOKED! That was how I lured them!!!) but , somehow it didn't click (this was before Anna!)...

Anyway,, it was all nice until a supervisor , Leslie, who I'm sure had a crush on me but I wouldn't give her the time of day, starting being mean to me, and that is something I'll NEVER tolerate!!! It got to the point that she mobbed me when I was doing cashier functions and made me make a mistake, so she told me she'd "do my register", which as many of you know, is making sure that , after closing, there were no discrepancies... so, after closing, she started yelling at me while I was leaving (I am very nice, but you really don't wanna piss me off, cause I know where your weakest point is and I'll throw salt in there...blame all the water signs in my Astral Chart).. to which I screamed at her.."DO YOU KNOW WHAT A COMB IS????"(she was always disheveled and looked like a waif)... which, shut her up immediately and promptly got me fired, but not without my friend Lisa telling me the next day that Leslie had really lost it and couldn't even do my cash register... oh well...

Fast forward to the FB years.. and I found a now defunct group called "I worked at Tower Boston", which was run by .. GUESS WHO??? LESLIE!!!!...anyway...I moved on to being a security guard in the MFA.. which was WAY nicer!!!

Don't know if you want to hear my story , but here it goes..
I was studying at Berklee when they opened the "Biggest record store in the world" in Boston...mind you , I was a Newbury comics fan, but , hey, I've always had a wide musical knowledge...So , on top of the Undergraduate classes, the proficency tests that I had to pass every semester on electric bass, the MP&E labs, the MP&E projects, being a tenor in the Berklee Choir AND having a girlfriend (ooohhh Anna!!!), I worked on Thursday afternoon/Nights and all day Sat and Sun.. ...,,ahhh the virtues of being young!!!
Got there and was part of the cashiers/stocking staff and sometimes the art dept. since I have very nice calligraphy, I used to write the artists names on the white dividers...
Saw many artists there.. Carly Simon (wow..she's a big girl!!), Jody Watley , who was a spoiled diva, Taylor Dayne, the guys from Wet Wet Wet, MICHAEL PALIN!!!!(who was lovely.. doing promo for "A fish called Wanda".. Cleese was supposed to be there but he proved to be too much of a diva!)..even met a Berklee classmate's Dad, a very famous mexican comedian, "Chavelo" who was a HUGE Jazz fan, and was very nice...

Made a few friends, among them Louis (a big black guy!), Lisa (a beautiful Black girl), and many whom I can't remember their name...One anecdote that still resonates was that Mike, our supervisor, was a really straight guy.. until I found out he was gay... and I thought my "gaydar" was functioning properly!!! Also had another supervisor named Mike, who I'll always remember cause every time that we asked him "CAN I go to the bathroom?" he'd always reply.."I don't know, CAN YOU???"..but he was very nice..
There was another supervisor (Bob?) who was older and a BIG AHOLE!!! But these were few and far between..most people were really nice, as long as you did your job..
Oh.. I almost forgot about Caroline Jones with whom I went to see Dan Reed Network who were opening for UB40 at Great Woods!!!
I was also smitten with a goth girl who was beautiful and was voluptuous.. Jennifer B... I even invited her for dinner (I COOKED! That was how I lured them!!!) but , somehow it didn't click (this was before Anna!)...

Anyway,, it was all nice until a supervisor , Leslie, who I'm sure had a crush on me but I wouldn't give her the time of day, starting being mean to me, and that is something I'll NEVER tolerate!!! It got to the point that she mobbed me when I was doing cashier functions and made me make a mistake, so she told me she'd "do my register", which as many of you know, is making sure that , after closing, there were no discrepancies... so, after closing, she started yelling at me while I was leaving (I am very nice, but you really don't wanna piss me off, cause I know where your weakest point is and I'll throw salt in there...blame all the water signs in my Astral Chart).. to which I screamed at her.."DO YOU KNOW WHAT A COMB IS????"(she was always disheveled and looked like a waif)... which, shut her up immediately and promptly got me fired, but not without my friend Lisa telling me the next day that Leslie had really lost it and couldn't even do my cash register... oh well...

Fast forward to the FB years.. and I found a now defunct group called "I worked at Tower Boston", which was run by .. GUESS WHO??? LESLIE!!!!...anyway...I moved on to being a security guard in the MFA.. which was WAY nicer!!!

KAP, sounds like a page out of the EMPIRE RECORDS playbook. Now, there's one store I wish I had a job at. Ever see that movie? https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Recor...25&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00R4SM52M&m=

You were a real P~Magnet [and D~Magnet] back in the day, so it seems. But there's always flies in the ointment. Dealing with all those disparate personalities and letting personal grievances get in the way.....and then losing your position because one bad apple 'couldn't get what she really wanted.......YOU!'

But it's all part of the experience and we all survived. Too bad those Record Emporiums didn't!:cautious:

I would love to hear some stories (good and bad) regarding stuff that happened including, but not limited to, arsehole employees, from you and other ex-employees of Tower Records. :unsure::LOL:

Oh wow. SO many stories I could tell. But I'm not going to say anything bad about any other employees. One of the best things about that place was the motley crew of misfits that worked there. It wasn't the right place to work for just anyone. People who might be better suited working at a mall store didn't last long. You needed to LOVE music, KNOW music, and be a bit of self-starter and entrepreneur spirit to succeed. One of the best things about Tower was the way Russ let every store run as autonomously as possible and that filtered all the way down to the clerks. It was cool to be weird and quirky. But you had to fit in with the work ethic or you weren't going to last long.

For a long time I had what I considered the best job in the store: I was the Head CD Buyer. So not only was I responsible for virtually every item we had in stock (or were out of stock of!) but we also were a Billboard reporting store. This was in the days before Soundscan which meant that every week I manually, on paper (Tower was very late to getting things computerized) counted up what sold and reported the results to Billboard magazine. This meant that was awash in promo CD, concert tickets, and all manners of swag. All in the hopes that I'd give whatever new album they were pushing a bit more 'attention'. I never did cheat the sales figures, but that's the way the game was played anyway. At one point I had the Elektra rep send me THE ENTIRE ELEKTRA/ASYLUM CATALOG on CD. (Yes, very often the smaller labels inside the larger ---- what was then the 'Big 6' -- had their own promotion departments. Athough there would be the WEA guy to deal with too.)

And I went to just about every concert you could imagine and a ton of backstage passes and met all sorts of people.

And when I was in Las Vegas, a ton of celebrities would come into the store as well. So here's one of my best stories for that:

One night I'm working the closing shift (I was also a "shift manager" at the time) and we get a call saying that Michael Jackson wants to shop (this is probably '91/'92?) and they want to know if we can allow him to come in and shop after the store closes. I say 'sure. no problem.' Not knowing for sure if it's even for real or not, but whatever. I gotta stay until at least 12:30 anyway closing up the store.

Sure enough, not long after midnight a limo pulls up and a couple of really big security looking dudes knock on the door. I let them in and they inform me and the one clerk who is still there helping me finish counting up the registers and closing up that Michael is going to come in and shop but we are not allowed to talk to him or even look at him. OK. Whatever.

So Michael comes in with two other guys. Now it's Michael Jackson, me, another clerk, and 4 big beefy security dude/bodyguards in the store. Michael is wearing the medical mask over his nose and mouth. As he goes down each aisle picking out CDs, a bodyguard stands to guard each end of the aisle blocking it off. From who, I don't know. There is nobody in the store except me and another person behind the counter. Finally he finishes up, one of the guys brings the stack of CDs up to the counter, I check him out, he takes the receipt to Michael to sign, and then they leave. Me being very careful to not look at him while I'm opening the door to let him out, of course.

One of those times you really wish a security camera or something was on to capture it all. Very funny and surreal. Me and the clerk laughed about that story for years after.

KAP, sounds like a page out of the EMPIRE RECORDS playbook. Now, there's one store I wish I had a job at. Ever see that movie? https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Recor...25&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00R4SM52M&m=

You were a real P~Magnet [and D~Magnet] back in the day, so it seems. But there's always flies in the ointment. Dealing with all those disparate personalities and letting personal grievances get in the way.....and then losing your position because one bad apple 'couldn't get what she really wanted.......YOU!'

But it's all part of the experience and we all survived. Too bad those Record Emporiums didn't!:cautious:

"Empire Records" was very obviously modeled on Tower. Whoever wrote that movie must have worked there at one time. There's so many 'little' things in the movie that are SO '"Tower" that it had to be the case.

Oh wow. SO many stories I could tell. But I'm not going to say anything bad about any other employees. One of the best things about that place was the motley crew of misfits that worked there. It wasn't the right place to work for just anyone. People who might be better suited working at a mall store didn't last long. You needed to LOVE music, KNOW music, and be a bit of self-starter and entrepreneur spirit to succeed. One of the best things about Tower was the way Russ let every store run as autonomously as possible and that filtered all the way down to the clerks. It was cool to be weird and quirky. But you had to fit in with the work ethic or you weren't going to last long.

For a long time I had what I considered the best job in the store: I was the Head CD Buyer. So not only was I responsible for virtually every item we had in stock (or were out of stock of!) but we also were a Billboard reporting store. This was in the days before Soundscan which meant that every week I manually, on paper (Tower was very late to getting things computerized) counted up what sold and reported the results to Billboard magazine. This meant that was awash in promo CD, concert tickets, and all manners of swag. All in the hopes that I'd give whatever new album they were pushing a bit more 'attention'. I never did cheat the sales figures, but that's the way the game was played anyway. At one point I had the Elektra rep send me THE ENTIRE ELEKTRA/ASYLUM CATALOG on CD. (Yes, very often the smaller labels inside the larger ---- what was then the 'Big 6' -- had their own promotion departments. Athough there would be the WEA guy to deal with too.)

And I went to just about every concert you could imagine and a ton of backstage passes and met all sorts of people.

And when I was in Las Vegas, a ton of celebrities would come into the store as well. So here's one of my best stories for that:

One night I'm working the closing shift (I was also a "shift manager" at the time) and we get a call saying that Michael Jackson wants to shop (this is probably '91/'92?) and they want to know if we can allow him to come in and shop after the store closes. I say 'sure. no problem.' Not knowing for sure if it's even for real or not, but whatever. I gotta stay until at least 12:30 anyway closing up the store.

Sure enough, not long after midnight a limo pulls up and a couple of really big security looking dudes knock on the door. I let them in and they inform me and the one clerk who is still there helping me finish counting up the registers and closing up that Michael is going to come in and shop but we are not allowed to talk to him or even look at him. OK. Whatever.

So Michael comes in with two other guys. Now it's Michael Jackson, me, another clerk, and 4 big beefy security dude/bodyguards in the store. Michael is wearing the medical mask over his nose and mouth. As he goes down each aisle picking out CDs, a bodyguard stands to guard each end of the aisle blocking it off. From who, I don't know. There is nobody in the store except me and another person behind the counter. Finally he finishes up, one of the guys brings the stack of CDs up to the counter, I check him out, he takes the receipt to Michael to sign, and then they leave. Me being very careful to not look at him while I'm opening the door to let him out, of course.

One of those times you really wish a security camera or something was on to capture it all. Very funny and surreal. Me and the clerk laughed about that story for years after.

Well, keywhiz, at least you managed to get MJ's autograph on the receipt!

What a FREAK, MJ was. My last image of him was arriving at court in his pajamas during his last child molestation hearing.

An undeniably brilliant talent but at what price? :dance

Here's one of my best "Empire Records" type stories:

I'm working at a store in Sacramento at this point. We hired this one little 16 year old hottie at one point--not because she's capable of much but only because she's Russ Solomon's niece and he says we need to give her a job.

So one morning I come in to open up the store, and I go in the backroom and there is water all over the floor coming out of the employee restroom. I open up the door the restroom and the sink has been busted off the wall and on the floor and water is pouring out of the pipe. Turns out Russ's little hottie niece and one of the store artists from the back room had been doing the dirty on the sink during the night shift.

The store artist was fired and the hottie niece was transferred to another store across town.

Glad I wasn't working the night shift. I THINK.... lol

Well, keywhiz, at least you managed to get MJ's autograph on the receipt!

What a FREAK, MJ was. My last image of him was arriving at court in his pajamas during his last child molestation hearing.

An undeniably brilliant talent but at what price? :dance

lol. yes I did. such as it was. It was just a scribble on the line, IIRC. He didn't really 'sign' it.

Yeah, he was over the ledge by that point. Too bad. Major, major talent for sure.

Here's one of my best "Empire Records" type stories:

I'm working at a store in Sacramento at this point. We hired this one little 16 year old hottie at one point--not because she's capable of much but only because she's Russ Solomon's niece and he says we need to give her a job.

So one morning I come in to open up the store, and I go in the backroom and there is water all over the floor coming out of the employee restroom. I open up the door the restroom and the sink has been busted off the wall and on the floor and water is pouring out of the pipe. Turns out Russ's little hottie niece and one of the store artists from the back room had been doing the dirty on the sink during the night shift.

The store artist was fired and the hottie niece was transferred to another store across town.

Glad I wasn't working the night shift. I THINK.... lol

A Great recollection, keywhiz......which supports the ole theory: NEVER hire friends and/or especially relatives to work for you. If that little hottie had been Taylor Swift at least she would've written a great break~up song about her aqua man experience! Water under the bridge........

Back