SACD crosses 3,000 title mark

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be interesting to see the figures in such a fashion:

US released SACDs: ???

Pop/Rock SACDs: ???

Multichannel SACDs: ???

How many of those listed are actually available: ???

I would say most of the 3,000+ SACD titles are available for purchase. Unless they are out-of-print. You are probably right that the selection of available SACD titles at the local Best Buy, Tower Records, or any brick-and-mortar retailer is limited, but that's where the internet comes into play. From Dire Straits to Simple Minds, I can order these titles and have it shipped to my home.

JonUrban said:
It would be interesting to see the figures in such a fashion:

US released SACDs: ???

Pop/Rock SACDs: ???

Multichannel SACDs: ???

How many of those listed are actually available: ???

Yeah, I think the majority of the 3,000+ SACDs are classical. I have a library of 120+ SACDs now, and better than 70% are classical, 99% are multichannel. I like Pop/Rock and Jazz too, but there are not as many of these SACD titles that get me excited. Just a couple of nights ago, I was at Fry's and the four SACDs I picked up were all classical. The last internet purchase of eight SACDs a couple of weeks ago were from the Channel Classics label--again all classical. At Tower Records last week, the four SACDs I picked up there were also classical. Trust me I looked at the non-classical SACD selection from all three stores, but the selection was thin. The only stereo SACD I have is Billy Joel's Opus 1-10: Fantasies & Delusions: Music For Solo Piano. Before I purchase a SACD, I see if it is M/C first. If it isn't, I'm usually not interested.

What I am trying to say is that if more pop/rock and jazz titles were available and more diverse, my SACD classical collection would definitely be smaller as compared to what I had for pop/rock and jazz. But it doesn't look like that ever is going to happen.:(

Back