SACD ISO to DVDA?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s6270

Hi all, I've got a few .ISO files of SACD rips that I can't do too much with right now (no SACD player!) I'm not too tech savvy but I'm curious to know whether it's possible to convert the multichannel content of an SACD .ISO file to a DVD-A? Thanks!

Yes. You can extract the DSD files from the ISO, convert them to PCM and burn a DVD. OTOH, you can just play the ISO with JRiver or, I think, foobar.

Its a little bit more effort than "xtract the DSD files from the ISO, convert them to PCM and burn a DVD"

You need to:

Extract the DSD
Convert it to PCM (in a DVD-A compatible bitrate) using DSD to PCM conversion software
Most likely Encode the PCM to MLP using a MLP encoder
Author a DVD-Audio disc with DVD-Audio Authoring software
and optionally a DVD-V layer -which will require a DD or DTS audio track to be created with the appropriate software)

Foobar 2000 will open the SACD ISO file into individual tracks - from there you can convert the tracks to WAV files @ 24/88 sampling rate. The WAV files can then be authored to DVDA via several programs. I find Cirlinca to be the easiest although as it has no MLP capabilities, you most likely will be required to have down sample to 24/48.

Its a little bit more effort than "xtract the DSD files from the ISO, convert them to PCM and burn a DVD"
Sure but I did that to make the contrast with just playing the ISO.

Foobar 2000 will open the SACD ISO file into individual tracks - from there you can convert the tracks to WAV files @ 24/88 sampling rate.
Same for JRiver.

Another question along these lines, pardon my age-induced brain blockages...

So I created an SACD.ISO using the new Oppo method discussed elsewhere in the forum.

I then used the Sonore - ISO2DSD program to process the ISO into .dff files using Channel Mode 'Multi' and Output Mode 'Phillips DSDIFF'

I then opened one of the resulting .dff files in Foobar and selected 'Quick Convert' and got a 6 channel .flac file that I could open in Sound Forge, but it was 44.1/24.

Should this actually be 24/88 or 24/96? I am not really sure how a DSD file converts to flac numbers-wise, but it seems to me it should be better than 44.1kHz

So I created an SACD.ISO using the new Oppo method discussed elsewhere in the forum.

I then used the Sonore - ISO2DSD program to process the ISO into .dff files using Channel Mode 'Multi' and Output Mode 'Phillips DSDIFF'

I then opened one of the resulting .dff files in Foobar and selected 'Quick Convert' and got a 6 channel .flac file that I could open in Sound Forge, but it was 44.1/24.

Should this actually be 24/88 or 24/96? I am not really sure how a DSD file converts to flac numbers-wise, but it seems to me it should be better than 44.1kHz

You can also convert the iso directly to flac with Foobar, saves you some steps. I never used the quick convert in Foobar so dunno what that does but have you tried the normal convert method so you can set your own parameters?

Conversion to 88.2/24 makes the most sense, but 44.1 will avoid needing to filter the ultrasonic noise since the highest frequency it will contain is 22.1kHz. The high end converters usually employ some sort of filter to remove the ultrasonic noise from DSD.

So I created an SACD.ISO ...

I was under the impression quick convert uses your last conversion settings, so try to reset your conversion settings with a non-quick convert.

Also you can open the SACD ISO directly in Foobar, and convert to FLAC, no need to use ISO2DSD at all.

RE: I did try to convert right from Foobar but I could not get that to work. I opened the .ISO fine and saw all of the tracks, first the stereo, then the multichannel, but I must have done something wrong. I will give it another shot and report back.

RE: I did try to convert right from Foobar but I could not get that to work. I opened the .ISO fine and saw all of the tracks, first the stereo, then the multichannel, but I must have done something wrong. I will give it another shot and report back.

Here's my SACD settings in Foobar (menu: Library -> Configure and click on 'SACD' in the list)

SACD Config.PNG

Foobar uses multithreading so it converts multiple files at once (mine does 8 at a time). You can also go directly to wav if that makes DVDA authoring easier.

Is it possible to burn the sacd.iso directly to a blank disc? I tried to use imgburn to burn the iso to a blank 4.7GB DVD disc and imgburn was able to successfully burn it but when I tried to play that disc in the OPPO it said "Unknown disc". When I burnt the disc, only the size was shown in imgburn but not any other attributes of the disc like name, artist, etc.

When I put the disc in my PC drive windows explorer didn't show anything for that drive.

Is it possible to burn the sacd.iso directly to a blank disc? I tried to use imgburn to burn the iso to a blank 4.7GB DVD disc and imgburn was able to successfully burn it but when I tried to play that disc in the OPPO it said "Unknown disc". When I burnt the disc, only the size was shown in imgburn but not any other attributes of the disc like name, artist, etc.

When I put the disc in my PC drive windows explorer didn't show anything for that drive.

Depends on the Oppo model and possibly the firmware. 83 plays them but 103/105 does not. 93/95 may depend on firmware version but not sure. If you have a 93/95 with old firmware and it doesn't play, then your out of luck I think.

Hi all, I've got a few .ISO files of SACD rips that I can't do too much with right now (no SACD player!) I'm not too tech savvy but I'm curious to know whether it's possible to convert the multichannel content of an SACD .ISO file to a DVD-A? Thanks!

If you don't want to purchase dvd-audio authoring software, and you have a bluray player, you can use foobar2000 and audiomuxer, they both are free.

Here's my SACD settings in Foobar (menu: Library -> Configure and click on 'SACD' in the list)

View attachment 26798

Foobar uses multithreading so it converts multiple files at once (mine does 8 at a time). You can also go directly to wav if that makes DVDA authoring easier.

Garry, are these setting for playback or also for converting files?

Garry, are these setting for playback or also for converting files?

That should work for both playback and conversion. jRiver works too, and is what I normally use, but it rips them at a high sample rate, so you will need to down-convert the files to a lower number using Audiomuxer before authoring.

View attachment 26798

Thank you Garry. Mine was indeed set to 44.1. However, my DSD2PCM Mode did not have Direct(Double-Precision, 30KhZ LF as a selection. Only the ones shown below, so I used Direct (32fp, 30kHz lowpass). Is that OK or is there something else I don't have set up correctly?

Thanks again

FOOBAR.jpg

Back