SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend I am going to try my setup of ripping SACD stereo (mch will be next) using the OPPO 105 that I purchased for ripping only. I have Ethernet connection to optic fiber, keyboard and screen, plus these directions.

** User Haggis999 has written a Word Doc that summarizes how to rip on the Oppo platform (103/105). Here is the link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fsigs8b3m24ld56/AACV2LC2EHfEdiS41fQmlKPxa?dl=0

Outside of these directions, would anybody else have helpful tips?

Is the ripping of SACD stereo say a true SACD or Hybrid SACD the same as SHM SACD, DTS, DVD-A all the same?

Is the ripping of SACD stereo say a true SACD or Hybrid SACD the same as SHM SACD, DTS, DVD-A all the same?

You'll have the choice of ripping to DSD64 or flac 88/24. Both formats will deliver superb sound quality.

You'll have the choice of ripping to DSD64 or flac 88/24. Both formats will deliver superb sound quality.
Thank you, so I will be able to rip SACD, Hybrid SACD, SHM SACD, DTS, DVD-A all the same?
My Jriver playback will play back anything, my McIntosh D-150 only plays up to 2 X DSD, my Bluesound vault which is like another player/harddrive only stores and plays FLAC. Simon, it sounds like in your opinion using the Sonore software for ripping that both will be good, DSD64 and the FLAC 88/24?
Does the SONORE rip higher than either of those two versions? Sorry, lots of little questions.

Thank you, so I will be able to rip SACD, Hybrid SACD, SHM SACD, DTS, DVD-A all the same?
My Jriver playback will play back anything, my McIntosh D-150 only plays up to 2 X DSD, my Bluesound vault which is like another player/hard drive only stores and plays FLAC.

Ripping SACDs and DVDs are done using different apps. For ripping SACDs, using the Sonore apps or Foobar2000 (with the appropriate plugins) will allow you to rip every SACD configuration (SACD, Hybrid SACD, SHM SACD). For extracting audio from DVDs (V and A) with your computer's DVD drive (this is not done using an Oppo), the best solution is DVD Audio Extractor. I've purchased my license and I've never regretted it. You may also use AudioMuxer (more tweaking involved) and MakeMKV in some cases. There are threads on how to do this so the search engine will be your friend in the coming weeks.

DTS CDs are also extracted using Foobar2000 using your computer's DVD drive.

Last edited:
Simon, it sounds like in your opinion using the Sonore software for ripping that both will be good, DSD64 and the FLAC 88/24?
Does the SONORE rip higher than either of those two versions? Sorry, lots of little questions.

Asking questions is quite alright. :)

SACDs are encoded in DSD which is then converted to DSD64 files. That's the highest resolution SACDs can offer I think. At the moment, higher DSD formats are available as downloads. Who knows, maybe in the future an physical format will offer the possibility of a higher DSD resolution than DSD64.

I have ripped tp both DSD64 files and flac 88/24. You will soon realize that DSD files are huge compared to flac. Flac at the moment is easily accepted by many players so you may choose this option. Whether you will perceive a major improvement in sound between flac 88/24 and DSD64 depends on your hearing and your gear. I'm perfectly happy playing both.

Thank you Simon, ready to get my feet wet.

My pleasure! :)

You'll find that the process is a lengthy one at times, but the results are more than worth it. One thing to know is that from one SACD to another, the tagging varies considerably (some titles will be in all caps, etc.). This is why you may wish to use an app like mp3Tag to clean-up the tags and add album covers to your flac files.

My pleasure! :)

You'll find that the process is a lengthy one at times, but the results are more than worth it. One thing to know is that from one SACD to another, the tagging varies considerably (some titles will be in all caps, etc.). This is why you may wish to use an app like mp3Tag to clean-up the tags and add album covers to your flac files.
Thanks, I do use mp3Tag quite a bit when fixing tags and artwork on the Bluesound Vault ripped 16bit CD's, then I slide them over to my NAS for the JRiver to playback. I find the JRiver tagging and artwork getting to be much easier than the mp3Tag. Also JRiver seems to get it right even when the BlueSound gets it wrong.

I believe JRiver can playback SACD ISO files directly. So can Foobar with the proper plugins. I am not experienced with it though, so others may want to comment on this further.

I rip the ISO file and then extract the DFF files from it. (not the DSF). I save the ISO on the NAS, but I do not presently use it for anything. I save it in case I want to play back ISOs in the future.

I then convert the DFF files to FLAC with Foobar. I extract the DFF files because that is the only DSD file type recognized by Foobar for conversion to FLAC, although that might be due to a missing plugin or something. I then delete the DFF files and move the FLAC files to the NAS.

I use Kodi, but did play around with JRiver for a time. I couldn't get either to play DFF or DSF files without getting a pop of noise between tracks. YMMV.

Let us know how it works out.

I then convert the DFF files to FLAC with Foobar. I extract the DFF files because that is the only DSD file type recognized by Foobar for conversion to FLAC, although that might be due to a missing plugin or something.

It's interesting to read because I've been converting DSF files into flac with Foobar2000 with no problem.

It's interesting to read because I've been converting DSF files into flac with Foobar2000 with no problem.
I've heard that before. It's gotta be a missing plug in.
The first step to convert is to load the folder/files into the list. But if they are DSF files, my copy of Foobar wont even recognize them. It will recognize DFF files though. I never pursued it because it doesn't actually matter to me. The DSF/DFF files are just an interim step that I delete anyway.

As separate files? Can you briefly outline the procedure? That would be a time saver for me.
1. Open your SACD.iso in foobar (you must have the foobar sacd plug-in installed)
2. Highlight the tracks you want to extract (the first set is usually the stereo tracks, the second set is surround)
3. Right-click the highlighted tracks, click "convert", choose your output settings, and voila!

Before performing this you should "edit" your SACD "preferences" in foobar (here's my settings):
Capture.JPG

1. Open your SACD.iso in foobar (you must have the foobar sacd plug-in installed)
2. Highlight the tracks you want to extract (the first set is usually the stereo tracks, the second set is surround)
3. Right-click the highlighted tracks, click "convert", choose your output settings, and voila!

Before performing this you should "edit" your SACD "preferences" in foobar (here's my settings):
View attachment 34027
When you have "Multichannel" selected in preferable Area only the surround portion is loaded (in my Foobar)?

When the SACDs are ripped to an ISO-file, adding it to foobar shows both the stereo tracks and the multichannel tracks for me, leaving Preferable to "none" keeps the original file info, eg if I convert a stereo track to flac it gets stereo, same with multichannel.

Question: What is the difference between the options Multistage or Direct in DSD2PCM?

When the SACDs are ripped to an ISO-file, adding it to foobar shows both the stereo tracks and the multichannel tracks for me, leaving Preferable to "none" keeps the original file info, eg if I convert a stereo track to flac it gets stereo, same with multichannel.

Question: What is the difference between the options Multistage or Direct in DSD2PCM?

Some info here

Back