Sansui QR-4500?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeithD

Hi everyone, first post, and have just gotten into quad sound. Since I'm still feeling my way around, thought I'd post a question about equipment. I do have a Pioneer QX-949, which is playing really nice, but I have a chance to buy a Sansui QR-4500. Price is listed as $180, but probably could get it for a little less. Just wondering how the two systems compare for sound? I realize the Pioneer has CD-4, RM, and SQ built in, but it seems like the general opinion is that Pioneer's decoding was not the best, and that Sansui was better, but not sure that is true for the QR models? I only have one SQ record. I do have a Pioneer SACD player, and have recently picked up a few multichannel SACDs. I have a lot of 2 channel music, but not sure how well either of these receivers will simulate 4 channel. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi everyone, first post, and have just gotten into quad sound. Since I'm still feeling my way around, thought I'd post a question about equipment. I do have a Pioneer QX-949, which is playing really nice, but I have a chance to buy a Sansui QR-4500. Price is listed as $180, but probably could get it for a little less. Just wondering how the two systems compare for sound? I realize the Pioneer has CD-4, RM, and SQ built in, but it seems like the general opinion is that Pioneer's decoding was not the best, and that Sansui was better, but not sure that is true for the QR models? I only have one SQ record. I do have a Pioneer SACD player, and have recently picked up a few multichannel SACDs. I have a lot of 2 channel music, but not sure how well either of these receivers will simulate 4 channel. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi. KeithD
I would advise you to steer away from the Sansui (QR) Quad receivers the matrix circuit in these are very basic and Sansui`s first attempt in Quad don't get me wrong the amp & radio are great but not Quad side of things.
If you want a great all round in matrix Sansui Quad the QRX units are far the best and I would go for a QRX7001 unit this was the middle of the road top of the line Sansui made.
Bill...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and advice Bill. I've read the Sansui QRX-xx01 series is the best for quad sound, so what you say confirms that.

If I understand things right, if you have a quad source, the sound quality basically comes down to the quality of the recording and the receiver, since the signal does not go through any decoding or "matrix"-ing, right? On the other hand, the matrix circuitry in a receiver - in order to simulate quad from stereo - is very important, correct?

I do find the Pioneer QX-949 a great sounding receiver, but not sure if I would have better "simulated" quad from a Sansui QRX-xx01 series? Did the Pioneer QX-949a improve things over the 949?

Thanks for any insight you or others can give!

Thanks for the reply and advice Bill. I've read the Sansui QRX-xx01 series is the best for quad sound, so what you say confirms that.

If I understand things right, if you have a quad source, the sound quality basically comes down to the quality of the recording and the receiver, since the signal does not go through any decoding or "matrix"-ing, right? On the other hand, the matrix circuitry in a receiver - in order to simulate quad from stereo - is very important, correct?

I do find the Pioneer QX-949 a great sounding receiver, but not sure if I would have better "simulated" quad from a Sansui QRX-xx01 series? Did the Pioneer QX-949a improve things over the 949?

Thanks for any insight you or others can give!

Hi. KeithD

The Pioneer QX-949a was a big improvement over the 949 unit in wattage and a improved matrix & CD-4 ......
But the Sansui QRX-XX01 series will still out perform in the matrix area..
QX-949A.jpg

And yes if you have a quad source, the sound quality basically comes down to the quality of the recording and the medium it comes from one off a view comes in the form SACD and you need SACD player ...

CAFZ_236_SA__113480__02192016101319-7436.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Bill, Thanks for the advice. Yes, I do have an SACD/DVD player that can do 5.1 sound. I can select which channels are active, so I turned off the subwoofer and center channel outputs from the player, giving me R/L front and R/L rear. I've picked up a few 5.1 channel SACDs and the sound is quite amazing and different from stereo.

However, the vast majority of my music is stereo, so "simulated" quad from a receiver would be of interest.

I really love the look of the Pioneer QX-949/949a, so I might look at picking up a 949a. Will also keep my eyes out for a Sansui QRX-7001. They seem to be more reasonably priced than the 9001.

Hi Bill, Thanks for the advice. Yes, I do have an SACD/DVD player that can do 5.1 sound. I can select which channels are active, so I turned off the subwoofer and center channel outputs from the player, giving me R/L front and R/L rear. I've picked up a few 5.1 channel SACDs and the sound is quite amazing and different from stereo.

However, the vast majority of my music is stereo, so "simulated" quad from a receiver would be of interest.

I really love the look of the Pioneer QX-949/949a, so I might look at picking up a 949a. Will also keep my eyes out for a Sansui QRX-7001. They seem to be more reasonably priced than the 9001.

Good luck in your search for the 949a unit when you find one I would seriously get a tech to go over the unit so you will get a good few years use out of, being vintage it will need to be done going or not.
I have been collecting Sansui receivers the last 16 odd years I have the QRX 9001- 8001-( two of 7001)- 5001 (two of QRX 7500a)- 3000- 2000 I have found a tech how has been given back life to these units.
He is on the last three the 7001 & 7500a and the last on the list is the QRX9001 this unit had troubles when I bought it over 10 years ago so it will need a lot off work done to this unit.
The QRX 9001 was the all round best Quad receiver ever made in its day it was the most power full running at 62 watts per channel and in Stereo bridge mode was 120 watts Stereo, so this is my baby waiting to get fixed and I know it all cost money BUT its a great hobby.... Love my Quad music.

Last edited:
Yes. I saw those. The one that is a “recap” is strange. He replaced the larger caps on the main boards, but left the smaller Sanyos, which are more likely to go bad. Also did not replace all known bad transistors, so a bit pricey for a half done job.

Back