SANSUI QS RECORDINGS THAT MIGHT NOT EXIST

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Anderson

Staff member
We have all seen the ads that were placed in magazines back in the day showing all the albums that were released in the QS format.

Billboard Sansui QS Ad
https://books.google.com/books?id=FkUEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT86&lpg=PT86&dq=these+records+and+others+have+been+encoded&source=bl&ots=7ZBT6ssiii&sig=-hcluYEwhumJiUBxgcW2CY00HH8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVtbCmt8bLAhWiw4MKHfocDM0Q6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=these%20records%20and%20others%20have%20been%20encoded&f=falsehttp://

I have wondered about some titles that I have still not seen and might need to be moved to the not released list.
I am currently focusing on the King label titles. It should be mentioned that the other titles that are known to exist appear on the labels we are familiar with even though King pressed them in Japan.
Below is a list of titles that I am wondering if they exist or might be under another album title and certainly label name.

RAY CHARLES SINGERS -Sunrise, Sunset. King 4R-9 (QS) [Japan]

STELVIO CIPRIANI ORCHESTRA -Cipriani Screen Mood. King 4R-22 (QS) [Japan]

FEATHER TONES -Bacharach vs. Beatles. King 4K-12 (QS) [Japan]

BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE -Four Channel Sampler, Vol. 2. King 4R-3 (QS) [Japan]

DOC SEVERINSEN -Golden Trumpet Sounds. King 4R-11 (QS) [Japan]

SYMPHONIC STEREO STRINGS -String Spectacular. King 4K-16 (QS) [Japan]

Their might be others on the list that have not surfaced so your input is welcome

I have noticed other weirdness in the list and would like to know if these do really exist:

4R13/14 Joan Baez, Blessed Are... (sq in USA)

4R20 Buffy Sainte Marie, Mister can't you see (japan unique?)

Anyone knows?

Nice to know that Polydor tried QS... the only Polydor quad Japanese LP i've seen was CM-4!

I have noticed other weirdness in the list and would like to know if these do really exist:
4R13/14 Joan Baez, Blessed Are... (sq in USA)
4R20 Buffy Sainte Marie, Mister can't you see (japan unique?)
Anyone knows?
Nice to know that Polydor tried QS... the only Polydor quad Japanese LP i've seen was CM-4!

Thanks for bringing those titles into question. Their is a EP with both artists in RM
This Is Surround Stereo EP Jap King-Vanguard 4PS-2 Jean Jacques Perrey,Joan Baez,Buffy Saint-Mar.jpg
This Is Surround Stereo EP Jap King-Vanguard 4PS-2 Jean Jacques Perrey,Joan Baez,Buffy Saint-Mar.jpg

I do wonder if they are actually the SQ version and not remastered for QS.

Good question, my opinion is probably real QS. King had acccess to the 4 channel master tapes, since they did later the Joan Baez cd4 collection, which was a mixed bag between David's Album and Blessed are, and it would had been a big bummer to do a fake QS while the system was launching.
Toshiba... that's another story (see Atom Heart Mother):)

Mark,

I'll try and post next week some of my Sansui QS, RM listings which have discs not on your listings.As to pics of discs actually available I can't help you there.

Your best for that would be to see if Rustyand I has any or Quadlinda, or Quadfirst.
To the best of my knowledge those three have extensive Japanese quad collections.
Back in the late 70's early 80's I was corresponding via mail, sometimes phone, with some 30 quad collectors at minimum.

Some with large collections that I knew about then but may or may not be on QQ come to mind, such as Mike Robin(deceased)and Gary (Gerhard)Thilgen.And by large I mean plenty of Japanese quads.Both were very credible collectors and we exchanged and sought out rare quads often.
The biggest drawback to collecting Japanese quads was the language barrier as mail and or phone pretty much eliminated obtaining anyone from Japan, or nearby Asian markets from joining the circle of collectors we had via EVOLUTION/4QUAD OR QUAD INC.

Anyway I'll see what I can dig up.

I don't think that I could find any more than you have shown
But they turn up all the time
I don't think we will ever find out all that was released
It will be one of life's mysteries

Good question, my opinion is probably real QS. King had acccess to the 4 channel master tapes, since they did later the Joan Baez cd4 collection, which was a mixed bag between David's Album and Blessed are, and it would had been a big bummer to do a fake QS while the system was launching.
Toshiba... that's another story (see Atom Heart Mother):)
Good point as King was certainly supporting QS at the time. Thanks

Mark,
I'll try and post next week some of my Sansui QS, RM listings which have discs not on your listings.As to pics of discs actually available I can't help you there.

Thanks, that would be great. I am amazed everyday how much new material shows up and since the last update to the discography I have about 3000 updates to add with help from folks like you willing to take the time.

Your best for that would be to see if Rustyand I has any or Quadlinda, or Quadfirst.
To the best of my knowledge those three have extensive Japanese quad collections.
Back in the late 70's early 80's I was corresponding via mail, sometimes phone, with some 30 quad collectors at minimum.

They have been great help over the years! Thanks

Some with large collections that I knew about then but may or may not be on QQ come to mind, such as Mike Robin(deceased)and Gary (Gerhard)Thilgen.And by large I mean plenty of Japanese quads.Both were very credible collectors and we exchanged and sought out rare quads often.

Well let's ad Nick to that list and all three contributed to Quad Incorporated. Stunning collection

The biggest drawback to collecting Japanese quads was the language barrier as mail and or phone pretty much eliminated obtaining anyone from Japan, or nearby Asian markets from joining the circle of collectors we had via EVOLUTION/4QUAD OR QUAD INC.

The language barrier is one reason the Asian market list has taken so long to document but I have thrown in the towel and just accept it if the translation is wrong at least it exists to be corrected. Fortunately catalog numbers translate well:)

Anyway I'll see what I can dig up.

THANKS

But they turn up all the time I don't think we will ever find out all that was released It will be one of life's mysteries

OK. You can't do that to me as you have always been a great help over the years. You know me, I am just going to keep digging
Do you recall any on the two lists we have posted that you were interested in but just have never seen?

Do you have any of these?
RAY CHARLES SINGERS -Sunrise, Sunset. King 4R-9 (QS) [Japan]

STELVIO CIPRIANI ORCHESTRA -Cipriani Screen Mood. King 4R-22 (QS) [Japan]

FEATHER TONES -Bacharach vs. Beatles. King 4K-12 (QS) [Japan]

BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE -Four Channel Sampler, Vol. 2. King 4R-3 (QS) [Japan]

DOC SEVERINSEN -Golden Trumpet Sounds. King 4R-11 (QS) [Japan]

SYMPHONIC STEREO STRINGS -String Spectacular. King 4K-16 (QS) [Japan]

COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH -The Life & Times of Country Joe & the Fish from Haight-Ashbury to Woodstock. King 4R-15 (QS) [Japan]
The catalog number might be incorrect as another title pressed by King uses the same number

ENOCH LIGHT -4 Channel Dynamite!. Project 3 4R-15 (QS) [Japan]

But they turn up all the time
I don't think we will ever find out all that was released
It will be one of life's mysteries

Yes that indeed is probably quite true.Again when it comes to quad collectors from the 70's, well.......we likely lost some BIG collectors given the time that has now passed.

Gary Thilgen and you were the only two I was in common contact with back in the 70's-80's, those that I knew had Japanese quads in envious numbers that is, but also international quads of course.

Thanks for the list. Do the check marks indicate anything like they exist?

Discs I wanted-my wishlist.

Keep in mind that list is only 1975.The Japanese quad consumer had the luxury of additional quads being released for at least one-two years beyond the North American "quad demise", which was approximately 77-78.So that list might be more complete if it was 1979/80.

Dietrich Rasch or one of his QuadroAcktion Club members were into Japanese quads as well, or so I seem to remember.

BTW isn't Nick "Quadfirst"?

Discs I wanted-my wishlist.

BTW isn't Nick "Quadfirst"?

Yes, I think so. I get so confused now as I remember folks by their real name and have conversed with folks using their screen name to find out later it was Joe (OR WHOM EVER) that I had conversed with before the internet and did not know it.

Back