Santana - All the Quads (and 5.1 releases)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys,

Just in the past few days, I stumbled on a number of Santana conversions out there that I didn't know existed, and I realized how much of his stuff was actually available in surround! Oh boy. I wonder if we can get a full list of all Santana quad releases together? Here's what I have found so far:

Albums

Santana (1969) (quad)
Abraxas (1970) (quad and DTS CD)
Santana III (1971) (quad)
Caravanserai (1972) (quad)
Welcome (1973) (quad)
Love Devotion Surrender (Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin) (1973) (quad)
Borboletta (1974) (quad)
Amigos (1976) (quad) (1976!)
Festival (1977) (quad) (1977! Really - this late?!)
Supernatural (1999) (5.1 DVD-A)
Shaman (2002) (5.1 DVD-A)

Compilations

Santana's Greatest Hits (1974) (quad)

Live

Lotus (1974) (quad) (wasn't this also on SACD or DVD-A? Or SQ encoded CD?)
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! (1974) (SQ LP?)
KBFH Radio show from 1974 (Romanotrax transfer from quad master)

I don't have all those conversions yet, but the ones I have gotten my hands on sound outstanding and it seems they're mostly from tapes (Q8). But I'm not sure which other formats all the above quad releases were available in.

I've always found the Santana quad releases to be exemplary in mixing - a lot going on in these. And the albums are great. The later 5.1s could be better, but I like them as well.

So... Is the list above complete or is there even more surround Santana I'm not aware of? Come on Quad Linda, I know you're out there with your knowledge ;-)

Albums

Santana (1969) (SQ/Q8/Mike Robin reel w/some alternate takes apparently)
Abraxas (1970) (SQ/Q8/DTS CD/Mike Robin reel)
Santana III (1971) (SQ/Q8/Mike Robin reel)
Caravanserai (1972) (SQ/Q8)
Welcome (1973) (SQ/Q8)
Love Devotion Surrender (Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin) (1973) (SQ/Q8)
Live! With Buddy Miles! (1973) (SQ/Q8)
Illuminations (with Alice Coltrane) (1974) (SQ/Q8)
Borboletta (1974) (SQ/Q8)
Santana's Greatest Hits (1974) (SQ/Q8)
Amigos (1976) (SQ) (1976)
Festival (1977) (SQ/Q8) (1977)

Live

Lotus (1974) (Japanese SQ LP) (rereleased in the 90's on CD in north America with the SQ encoding intact)
KBFH Radio show from 1974 (Romanotrax transfer from quad master)

I've updated your list to make it chronological, added a couple of things, and added release formats.

The Santana mixes are amongst the best of the quad era - why Sony didn't issue them as Hybrid SACDs during the heyday of the format, I'll never know.

I can't listen to the stereo mix of Caravanerai without feeling slightly disappointed since I heard the quad mix.

I can't listen to the stereo mix of Caravanerai without feeling slightly disappointed since I heard the quad mix.

I love Caravanserai... my favourite - that I've heard.....

Wasn't aware of a robin reel off the first album also :yikes - thanks!

Pity MFSL didn't issue surround versions of the ones of these that they've issued...

I've shuffled the list in chronological order, based on the original album release date. Abraxas & III were released in Quad a year or two after the 2ch release. Santana (I) was not released in Quad until 1974. All other Quads were released simultaneously with their 2ch counterparts, or shortly thereafter. DVD-A's were released long after their 2ch counterparts.

I have omitted any non-official releases, since they aren't legal and shouldn't be discussed on this forum.

Santana (I) (1969) SQ/Q8
Abraxas (1970) SQ/Q8/DTS CD there is a single layer SACD, which is only 2ch
Santana III (1971) SQ/Q8
Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! (1972) SQ/Q8
Caravanserai (1972) SQ/Q8 there are 2 ch Japan single layer and MoFi hybrid SACD's
Love Devotion Surrender (Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin) (1973) SQ/Q8 there is a 2ch MoFi hybrid SACD
Welcome (1973) SQ/Q8
Santana's Greatest Hits (compilation) (1974) SQ/Q8
Illuminations - Carlos Santana & Alice Coltrane (1974) SQ/Q8
Borboletta (1974) SQ/Q8
Lotus (live in Japan) (1974) 3 SQ LP's/2 SQ CD's LP's were released in Japan & Europe only. CD was released in US, as well.
Amigos (1976) SQ only
Festival (1977) SQ/Q8

.. Is the list above complete or is there even more surround Santana I'm not aware of? Come on Quad Linda, I know you're out there with your knowledge ;-)

Santana-Santana---Quad-257157.jpg

mm4PuT2XaMEXvBYOKCfColg.jpg
$T2eC16Z,!zQE9s3stuwbBRSJ3(bY(g~~60_35.JPG
Santana-Abraxas---Quad-318737.jpg
$T2eC16h,!)sE9swmcMt7BRRRmYfu+Q~~60_35.JPG
00092b06_medium.jpeg

872885.jpg
Santana-Santana---Quad-358377.jpg
R-150-1858660-1256583200.jpeg

220343993523.jpg

ALL copies of Lotus are SQ, regardless of whether they say SQ or Stereo. Album packaging is exquisite. CD contains a booklet that folds out like the album cover. 3 LP Japan & Euro, 2 CD in US and other countries. Each side fades out, and the next side fades it back in.
271109511023.jpg
santana-lotus-corale.jpg
sanlot2.jpg
st001y.jpg

CD's:
001f40c8_medium.jpeg

Japan CD sampler:
santanajapansonymhcp1002promofrontsmall.jpg

View attachment 10596

View attachment 10597

Thanks for posting the record label for Welcome Linda. Does the cover itself have a quad logo on it? I was under the impression that it doesn't except maybe the little extra paper bar that went over the cover that most threw away. So I look at the LP itself, except I always look where it says Stereo, I didn't know the quad one still said stereo, then quad at the bottom. The whole thing is hard to read anyway since it is gold cursive on white. Curse whoever designed that. I may very well have passed up quad copies I'm guessing :/ Also Santana's hits with the SQ logo on the back is a bitch too.

Also, I need the first self titled album quad LP like air.

I think that one of the later albums has a less than discrete mix -- Amigos, maybe?

Mark Z

Festival.
The biggest disappointment from Columbia quad: what could had been a fantastic mix was instead just a retooled job from stereo, with bass on one side, treble on the other.

To add on the list - Illuminations. Pics are already there.

US SQ has an embossed front cover. SQ Quadraphonic is on OBI strip.

The front cover of the SQ Welcome has NO QUAD MARKINGS. The spine has the PCQ prefix. The Q designates Quad. I have posted a photo of the Quad OBI strip somewhere here. No, it's not on the Welcome poll thread. My Welcome SQ is mint, replete with the OBI strip which says SQ Quadraphonic. Perhaps in a few months when I get settled in my new home, I can scan and upload that OBI strip. No US SQ has a gold printed "Welcome" on the front cover, only the embossed "Welcome." Gold printed "Welcome" are later 2ch pressings. I love the Welcome packaging, though it is impractical. Likely Santana demanded the deluxe package. The labels themselves rarely chose this treatment themselves, since it costs more $$$ per unit.

In Quad/5.1 and 2ch CD, I'm complete on Santana. I've had a Q8 of all but a few, and an SQ of all of them. They are all wonderful musically, with the possible exception of Illuminations. Most of them have superb mixes, as well.

Thanks for posting the record label for Welcome Linda. Does the cover itself have a quad logo on it? I was under the impression that it doesn't except maybe the little extra paper bar that went over the cover that most threw away. So I look at the LP itself, except I always look where it says Stereo, I didn't know the quad one still said stereo, then quad at the bottom. The whole thing is hard to read anyway since it is gold cursive on white. Curse whoever designed that. I may very well have passed up quad copies I'm guessing :/ Also Santana's hits with the SQ logo on the back is a bitch too.

Back