HiRez Poll Santana, Carlos & Coltrane, Alice - ILLUMINATIONS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Devadip Carlos Santana & Turiya Alice Coltrane - ILLUMINATIONS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Gotta give this one a “10”. This music isn’t for everyone, but it is definitely for me! I actually had never heard this album before. But I love it!

the quad mix is immersive and beautiful. Perfect for the material. And the D~V transfer and packaging is the usual “10”.

I likewise voted a 10. A totally unexpected GEM resurrected from QUAD hell by a knowing Michael Dutton and company. Please bring on Love, Devotion and Surrender.

Last edited:
I have this on now, hasn't anyone heard the sloppy edits? You can hear where music is pieced together. Bass in left front annoys me, is it there on stereo mix? I can not enjoy this for bass or drums, just my personal taste. The rest sounds great.

Really nice review from Mark Smotroff was just posted today at Audiophile Review - it seems that he's just discovered D-V's quad SACD reissues..

https://audiophilereview.com/audiop...ne-collaboration-shines-on-quadraphonic-sacd/

"Unless you happen to follow uber-niche enthusiast forums on the Internet, chances are you haven’t heard about a somewhat new series of seemingly officially authorized reissues of original “Quadraphonic” (aka “Quad”) recordings from the 1970s."

✋ Guilty as charged.

:51QQ

Hope the mods will permit a brief violation of poll thread rules to note that Alice Coltrane was recently inducted into the DownBeat Critics Hall of Fame:
https://downbeat.com/news/detail/alice-coltrane-hall-of-fame(At least three of her Impulse! albums--World Galaxy, Lord of Lords, and Reflection on Creation & Space, were also released in quad, with mixes by Baker Bigsby.)

Classic example of classic half forgotten albums. SACD is not even comparable to CD: you do hear even the "noise" of strings of Santana's guitar. Mix isn't trippy but discloses all the buried arrangements and layers (especially strings and harp) semi hidden in the stereo counterpart
Carlos blends with Alice more than you expect

Back