Quad LP/Tape Poll Santana - SANTANA (Third Album) [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Quad Album of Santana - SANTANA (Third Album)

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 4 20.0%

Votes: 10 50.0%

Votes: 5 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• Total voters
It's been said that CBS was pretty cheap with production at the time and used the SQ vinyl stampers much longer than they should have...

This would make sense. An interesting side note, I did leave SQ mode on my Sansui QRX 7001 when compared with the Tidal version and it decodes nicely... I know Lotus has only quad masters, but is it possible the version of Santana III on Tidal is in fact an SQ version by some coincidence? Other than not hearing weird "phasy" sounds I don't know how to tell.

I know Lotus has only quad masters, but is it possible the version of Santana III on Tidal is in fact an SQ version by some coincidence?

I'm gonna say probably not, as I think the stereo version just happens to decode well. I mean you could check for some telltale signs in the mix, like the brass panning around in "Everybody's Everything" or the front-to-back call and response section in "No One To Depend On".

Santana - Santana III SQ.jpeg

Back