SEVENTH SOJOURN-SQ SINGLE INVENTORY!?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of stuff decodes well in QS, but that doesn't mean it is real or correct quad, aka instrument placement as intended. One good example of this is Pink Floyd AHM SQ: sometimes the SQ mix is more enjoyable when decoded in QS but the instrument placement, compared to the discrete UK Q8, is totally wrong.
What could be done, as a test, since we do have a real quad of SS in the Q4/Q8 tapes, to see if the original 1973 UK vinyl release does decode keeping the insrument placement in the same spots as the quad tapes... of course there's less separation than a discrete tape, but the basic musical structure and instrument placements should stay the same.

I merely wanted to point out that they did indeed do an SQ encode, albeit a test pressing.

Like the SACD liner notes state, SQ was utilized and not QS as everyone guessed.Therefore the liner notes are indeed accurate on that particular disc.Like I said before, they are using info "we don't have access to", namely Studio notes which they and only they can reference.

How many they pressed is probably unknown but now it opens up that question.

In my humble opinion, very few, maybe a dozen.
Keep in mind that:
it was UK 1973, where there had been already a good amount of locally-produced SQ records
CBS was pushing SQ hard, with a lot of imports from USA
MB was a well-known name and had quite a following
MB were known to build very complex arrangements, so often were used as demo discs for (real) hifi stores

so it was a right time to come out with a SQ encoded LP for them, and sell it in good quantity.

The basic fact that no one has ever seen s SQ MB SS anywhere to me it means that it simply didn't came out at all. Even extremely rare UK titles (Joan Baez Blessed are, for example...) showed out sometimes on ebay.

The only adverse thing that can be considered in this timeframe is the oil crisis that forced the temporary closing of several pressing plants, usually relocating the pressing in france or germany; but that a pressing of a very important title like that being totally blocked and not relocated elsewhere to me it sounds really weird.

I was under the impression that they WANTED to release their LPs in quad, but SQ was their only choice and they did not like the results. Who could blame them as the decoders of the day pretty much sucked. Especially the "average joe" decoders included in the many quad receivers of the day.

The Tate and S&IC did not come out to the real world until quad was over.

I was under the impression that they WANTED to release their LPs in quad, but SQ was their only choice and they did not like the results. Who could blame them as the decoders of the day pretty much sucked. Especially the "average joe" decoders included in the many quad receivers of the day.

The Tate and S&IC did not come out to the real world until quad was over.

True but they had logic/wave form matchng with improved Motorola I.C.'S coming on board back then courtesy Lafayette and Sony and I believe some were even illustrated on the lp jacket insert, on the early Columbia/Epic discs.

The early, first SQ and QS decoders were indeed poor, though.But it did not stop the proliferation of SQ or QS titles back then.

Some labels opted for single inventory titles in SQ, such as Creative World, Capitol, Golden Crest......but they were in the minority.

One of the weird promo's from Columbia Records was "buy it in quad now, worry about gettng the quad equipment later".And this "Mantra"was taken up by other quad labels marketing "dual"inventory quads.

I merely wanted to point out that they did indeed do an SQ encode, albeit a test pressing.

Like the SACD liner notes state, SQ was utilized and not QS as everyone guessed.Therefore the liner notes are indeed accurate on that particular disc.Like I said before, they are using info "we don't have access to", namely Studio notes which they and only they can reference.

How many they pressed is probably unknown but now it opens up that question.

Thanks for your diligence on pursuing this further. A test pressing of this would be a great find. Thanks for making us aware that it might exist.

Mark,

Thankyou for recognizing this sleuthing task.It can be frustrating at times.

Also I'm not saying it does not exsist, but for some bizarre reason I don't have a cd-4 listing ?? And I was provided with a listing of all Japanese cd-4 's up to and including 76 .

Unless it came out later ? Or just missed off the listings.

Thanks again, and much appreciated your acknowledgement.

Seventh Sojourn. Threshold - King 4D-13 (CD4)

Seventh Sojourn. Threshold - King 4D-13 (CD4)

I know it's kinda a bit late asking, but do you have a King Records CD-4 listing ? (Or anyone for that matter)
My listing is rather short, only about ten titles. It's possible the rest were just cut off from my 1976 listings that a fellow quadraphile sent me many years ago.

​Courtesy of QQ member steelydave

King CD-4 LP's

4D-1 - The Carpenters - 'Now And Then'
4D-2 - Carole King - 'Tapestry'
4D-3 - Rick Wakeman - 'The Six Wives Of Henry VIII'
4D-4 - Quincy Jones - 'You've Got It Bad Girl'
4D-5 - Raymond Lefevre Orchestra - 'In Concert'
4D-6 - Eumir Deodato - 'Deodato 2'
4D-7 - Joan Baez - 'Hits/Greatest & Others'
4D-8 - Enoch Light - 'Brass Menagerie'
4D-9 - Carole King 'Fantasy'
4D-10 - Quincy Jones - 'Body Heat'
4D-11 - Rick Wakeman - 'Journey To The Center Of The Earth'
4D-12 - Tom Jones - 'Body & Soul Of Tom Jones'
4D-13 - The Moody Blues - 'Seventh Sojourn'
4D-14 - Gilbert O'Sullivan - 'I'm A Writer, Not A Fighter'
4D-15 - Englebert Humperdinck - 'My Love'
4D-16 - Norman Chandler Orchestra - 'Moonlight Party'
4D-17 - Mantovani - 'An Evening With Mantovani'
4D-18 - Werner Muller Orchestra - 'Relax Music Learn To Love'
4D-19 - Airto Moreira - 'Fingers'
4D-20 - UNKNOWN
4D-21 - Charles Aznavour - 'Live In Japan'
4D-22 - The Carpenters - 'The Singles 1969-1973'
4D-23 - Gilbert O'Sullivan - 'Back To Front'
4D-24 - Englebert Humperdinck - 'Live In Japan' (Disc 1)
4D-25 - Englebert Humperdinck - 'Live In Japan' (Disc 2)
4D-26 - Ronnie Aldrich - 'Romantic Pianos'
4D-27 - The Moody Blues - 'Every Good Boy Deserves Favour'
4D-28 - Shirley Bassey - 'Live In Japan' (Disc 1)
4D-29 - Shirley Bassey - 'Live In Japan' (Disc 2)

Thanks for that Freddie.

I have complete listings for PHILLIPS CD4'S , POLYDOR, and others, but missed this out (was chopped off, as it was the bottom of the page I guess).

Back