Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no since debating the issue..the overwhelming majority disagrees with you..

No way. It didn't happen so it doesn't matter anyway. This is what we were left with. I am done. Glad people like this here, I will be enjoying the other excellent releases, there are many. I'm out.

We can disagree on how loud and compressed this release is. It just doesn't sound as good as Love which is a fair comparison. That doesn't sound loud and compressed and the mix is discrete. This one isn't, even with messing with the levels which many here recommend. I can't give this one any more than a five and actually a four point five and rounding up. Love is an easy 10. As the other poster mentioned, this is by far the most disappointing release of the year. I love the music but the sound and mix is poor in my opinion, especially compared to the many multichannel releases since May when this was released.

I HAVE to agree with HIMEY that the LOVE album was truly spectacular. On my Reference Meridian 800 system, it IS the pluperfect remix and sonically SUPERB and truthfully, the rather tame mix on the Sgt. Pepper boxset does pale in comparison.

But one must wonder what input the surviving Beatles and their families had which led to such a 'conservative' remix and my theory which some have disputed is that Sir George Martin was THE mastermind behind the LOVE remixes even though some allude to the fact that he was deaf* upon LOVE's release.

Whatever the truth is, hopefully, with The White Album, Giles will let it all hang out and create a more adventuresome 5.1 remix.....akin to the wildly discrete LOVE remixes!

[*Beethoven was stone deaf when he composed his majestic Ninth Symphony]

Woo hoo! I think a person really needs to step back, take a break and listen again. I know, I know - I know that Love sounded great. I concur with that. It's also a mashup, so who knows how good would it then sound if they took the songs without altering them and relied on the surround mix without additional editing.

I'm spinning SGT Pepper right now, and I find it simply entertaining. What I can't get out of my head is when I invited my neighbor over to listen. He's 66 and a big Beatles fan. He's never heard a proper surround system, so I guess he was a virgin.

I've never been so proud to sit in the same room with him and see the absolute joy he had hearing this. I even gave him my sweet spot seat and he was astounded. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Later on I played some Steven Wilson stuff and he just sat there. It didn't click with him whatsoever. He needed that connection with the music and he needed to hear it in a way he's never heard before. SGT Pepper in 5.1 gave him that.

:)

Woo hoo! I think a person really needs to step back, take a break and listen again. I know, I know - I know that Love sounded great. I concur with that. It's also a mashup, so who knows how good would it then sound if they took the songs without altering them and relied on the surround mix without additional editing.

I'm spinning SGT Pepper right now, and I find it simply entertaining. What I can't get out of my head is when I invited my neighbor over to listen. He's 66 and a big Beatles fan. He's never heard a proper surround system, so I guess he was a virgin.

I've never been so proud to sit in the same room with him and see the absolute joy he had hearing this. I even gave him my sweet spot seat and he was astounded. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Later on I played some Steven Wilson stuff and he just sat there. It didn't click with him whatsoever. He needed that connection with the music and he needed to hear it in a way he's never heard before. SGT Pepper in 5.1 gave him that.

Gene, it's not that the BD~A 5.1 of Sgt. Pepper doesn't sound great on my system, sonically......it's just that the remix really pales in comparison to LOVE. LOVE might be considered a mash~up of sorts since it was a soundtrack for a LIVE performance but 81 minutes of superlatively remixed Beatle's music in stunning 5.1 was, IMO, a GIFT to Beatles' fans everywhere.

I remember watching a documentary of the Cirque de Soleil performance of LOVE attended by Sir Paul and 'Sir' Ringo and they were having a rollicking good time which prompted Paul to exclaim: "we wrote some pretty GREAT tunes.'

Price~Wise and Quality~Wise, I just couldn't imagine a world without LOVE, which, IMO, should've been THE blueprint on how the Beatles' catalogue should've been remixed for surround. Sir George Martin was a genius and after all, he WAS considered THE FIFTH BEATLE and IF Sgt. Pepper was remixed into 5.1 under his stewardship, I think it would've been a whole different ball of wax....as would've been the Criterion BD~V 5.1 remaster of A Hard Day's Night which, IMO, was double stereo [also remixed by Giles].

It's amazing to me that some people don't "get it"...LOVE isn't even an album...why people expected some ultra aggressive mix is beyond me...there were ZERO indications that Peppers would be like LOVE...EXCEPT by some on here that somehow expected one...and the sad part is that the same people will be expecting the White Album to be another LOVE...and that's not going to happen..by now it should be obvious that the decision makers don't' want a vast departure from the original album...and I can understand that...as much as I enjoy LOVE....there are parts of it that are far far away from the original sound of the songs when the Beatles did them...almost un recognizable...when I think of LOVE I think of the Rolling Stones....sympathy for the devil remix SACD...it's just the same song with different mixes on it...it's fun...but not an album... the Peppers blu ray is the best version of the ALBUM available...period...and that was the goal...

Glad to hear you exposed your neighbor to Peppers(y)

It's amazing to me that some people don't "get it"...LOVE isn't even an album...why people expected some ultra aggressive mix is beyond me...there were ZERO indications that Peppers would be like LOVE...EXCEPT by some on here that somehow expected one...and the sad part is that the same people will be expecting the White Album to be another LOVE...and that's not going to happen..by now it should be obvious that the decision makers don't' want a vast departure from the original album...and I can understand that...as much as I enjoy LOVE....there are parts of it that are far far away from the original sound of the songs when the Beatles did them...almost un recognizable...when I think of LOVE I think of the Rolling Stones....sympathy for the devil remix SACD...it's just the same song with different mixes on it...it's fun...but not an album... the Peppers blu ray is the best version of the ALBUM available...period...and that was the goal...

Glad to hear you exposed your neighbor to Peppers(y)

Clint, one can only speculate how the Dolby Atmos version of Pepper sounds....adding height channels to the proceedings. I don't think a movie theater was a proper venue to experience Pepper in Atmos [sweet spot?], especially at the ultra high decibel levels in which it was presented.

And it is a shame that none of the Rolling Stones albums have ever been remixed into 5.1 save for Sympathy [which is indeed a blast and a sonic treat].

Clint, one can only speculate how the Dolby Atmos version of Pepper sounds....adding height channels to the proceedings. I don't think a movie theater was a proper venue to experience Pepper in Atmos [sweet spot?], especially at the ultra high decibel levels in which it was presented.

And it is a shame that none of the Rolling Stones albums have ever been remixed into 5.1 save for Sympathy [which is indeed a blast and a sonic treat].

You know Ralphie...I thought maybe the Stones might get interested in surround after seeing Peppers come out...maybe the White Album might push them over the edge...I believe there is still the "rivalry" between the Stones and Beatles...even though nobody talks about it...the Stones feel that they never got enough credit after the Beatles hit the scene...

Older Stones in 5.1 would be sweet. I would snarf that up just like I did Pepper. Yes, I would.

It could definitely be done...have you head that SACD single of "Sympathy For The Devil"?

Really nice mix IMO. Think it actually has a poll thread somewhere...

You know Ralphie...I thought maybe the Stones might get interested in surround after seeing Peppers come out...maybe the White Album might push them over the edge...I believe there is still the "rivalry" between the Stones and Beatles...even though nobody talks about it...the Stones feel that they never got enough credit after the Beatles hit the scene...

And ironically, Clint, the Stones are still together and performing as a group. Silly rivalries die hard. GET OVER IT!

Perhaps their song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" was prescient....as pertains to surround. :yikes

Hey Y'all:
Is the DVD Audio part of Sgt Pepper's on a different disc from the Blu Ray? Would one of you guys be willing to sell the DVD-A version from your set? That would be all I need, if I could get it for a good price. I guess I could keep it in my stereo CD version jewel case.
The Quadfather

If anyone knows, it will be Clint....what is the current lowest cost source for "Sgt. Peepers":confused: Importdcd has it at $112, Amazon US at $114. I try my best to avoid Amazon's bid to control the retail world of planet Earth. I'd be keeping all, so no digging through a warehouse. :D

If anyone knows, it will be Clint....what is the current lowest cost source for "Sgt. Peepers":confused: Importdcd has it at $112, Amazon US at $114. I try my best to avoid Amazon's bid to control the retail world of planet Earth. I'd be keeping all, so no digging through a warehouse. :D

I think the best option is right here on the forum...Quadfather should make a post...letting people know he wants to purchase either the blu ray or DVD of the Peppers box set...I think this would work...the second best option is the "evil empire"..amazon...he missed a great deal at getting the warehouse specials when they were in the $60 range(and I wish I would have picked up another one at that price)...but he can get one now for $82.27...and remember that amazon treats these like new products(this one is probably sealed)and you can return it if you aren't satisfied.....check this out

That’s a DVD-V, right? Just saying it out loud so that everybody’s on the same page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct, it's a DVD-V disc with DTS & Dolby 5.1 surround sound, along with 3 promo videos and a 50 min documentary from 1992.

Simple answer is many people don't like loud compressed remixes and seek out discrete multichannel. This fails on both accounts. Only thing saving this one is the tunes are so damn good.

Who exactly are you talking to when you say Duh? And why are you using quaddy as a derogatory term? Paul McCartney gave the new generation exactly what they wanted, a loud new stereo remix that sounds great on their Bluetooth speaker. He doesn't give a hoot about multichannel. "Quad and 5.1 aren't the same and I am glad"? This is funny. Like someone has to take a side.

Himey, you're taking offense where none was meant.
This is the Quadraphonic Quad forum, right?
It's roots are in the quadraphonic format so many here are quad fans and go way back in quad music.
I couldn't think of a shortened terminology so that what I came up with quaddies as a description followed by the Duh as knowing I was posting the obvious.
I personally prefer 5.1 over quad but I do have a fair number of quad re-releases on SACD and like them very much.
Perhaps I'm wrong but it seems that a preponderance of folks here like a very "active" surround mix like what quad is where all channels have the same weight.

Sgt. Pepper isn't one of them and wasn't meant to be.
If you don't like it that's totally fine, but as a life long Beatles fan I bought it regardless and wasn't going to base my decision on anyone else's opinion.
Simple as that.

Correct, it's a DVD-V disc with DTS & Dolby 5.1 surround sound, along with 3 promo videos and a 50 min documentary from 1992.

What? Is this not the real deal? I ordered it last night. Just cancelled on it because of doubts as to whether it is the version I am looking for. There are a lot of Sgt Pepper products out there, I need to make sure I get the right one.

The Quadfather
P.S. Can someone please give me the correct catalog number?

What? Is this not the real deal? I ordered it last night. Just cancelled on it because of doubts as to whether it is the version I am looking for. There are a lot of Sgt Pepper products out there, I need to make sure I get the right one.

The Quadfather

This box set is the only release of Sgt Pepper in 5.1 surround:
https://www.amazon.com/Peppers-Lonely-Hearts-Blu-ray-Deluxe/dp/B06WGVMLJY/

The box contains the 5.1 Surround mix on both Blu-Ray & DVD-V disc.

Blu-Ray/DVD:
Fully restored 1992 documentary The Making of Sgt. Pepper, including interviews with Paul, George and Ringo and fascinating in-the-studio footage introduced by George Martin. Restored promotional films for 'A Day In The Life', 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Penny Lane'. 2017 Giles Martin 5.1 surround sound mix and high-resolution stereo audio in 96KHz/24bit of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band plus 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'Penny Lane'.

The Quadfather

Well, Amazon sent me an Email showing that they couldn't cancel the order, so it's coming. They say I can send it back if it isn't what I wanted. So, I will need that catalog number.
The Quadfather

Back