Show #3 for the LP Lounge

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Brent

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Tonight at 10pm (US East Coast time) you can pick this up on RadioMaxMusic.com, or using the TuneIn app. This week we focus on 2 albums by 2 sets of duets - (2 x 2 = quad) - both LPs we feature today were released on LP, and LP only - in SQ quadraphonic sound, and to this day, the only way to hear these specific mixes is by locating a copy of the gold bordered LPs.
Now I've been given a bit of flac (or wav in some cases) for taking that position, as some of the LPs, notably last week's Angel Clair and this week's Loggins and Messina have been reissued in quad, using the original 4 channel masters from the 70s. But those 4 channel mixes had to be further mixed down for mastering to LP. As a result - you can buy some of these albums in quadraphonic sound -BUT- the only way to hear the final LP mixdown - remains on the original LP release.
Even if you buy the new quad releases from Audio Fidelity or Vocalion - which, BTW, I highly recommend - and opt to play them in stereo - the resulting mix will more closly approximate the original stereo mix, not the SQ.
In order to produce these particular LPs the engineer ran the 4 channel master tapes through an SQ encoder. The result; what was meant for the rear channels, would seem to be centered between the left and right stereo speakers, but 90 degrees out of phase, and 3db lower in volume. Decoding these LPs roughly reversed the process. So to my critics, and I have a few, I stand by my position that the mixes you hear on these broadcasts (of these LPs) can only be had, if you have the actual LP.
Well enough of that, when we get to some of the LPs released in the CD-4 system, I'll stir up the pot among the quad faithful once again.
LPL0103.jpg

Yes, they're compromised mixes. To hear what they are supposed to sound like, you need the Q8 or it's modern, discrete equivalent.

Back