Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely love that dark red...Red.... :)

Thanks, I remember when these colours were picked out for this space in the basement, I had the primer tinted and it still took 3 coats of that dark red to cover. Everyday I came home from work it felt like Groundhog Day, put on another coat 🤪

Reactions: GOS
View attachment 36020

This is the vintage quadraphonic system in my home office. From top to bottom, left stand then right:

Dual 704 Turntable, with a Nagaoka MP15 for stereo LPs and an Audio Technica AT14S for CD-4 quad LPs;
Rega Fono MM Phono Preamp and JVC 4DD-5 CD-4 Disc Demodulator;
Sony DVP-NS3100ES Multichannel DVD/SACD Player;
Sansui QRX-7001 Quadraphonic Receiver (Recapped);
Koss K/2+2 Quadraphonic Headphones;
TEAC A-2340SX Four-Channel Reel to Reel Tape Deck;
Two DBX NX-40 Noise Reduction Units;
Zektor HDS4.1 Mulitichannel Switcher and Belkin PureAV PF30 Power Console (Behind the Tape Deck);
Canton Quinto 510 Speakers.
You are the only person I know who like me has a dust cover for their reel to reel deck. Nice.

Still selling current audio gear to buy new gear, so it might be awhile before I post up pics. Selling Micro Seiki DDX-1000 turntable, Sunfire processor, and Clements RT-7 speakers.

Hi everyone. My name is Simon, and I'm a Quadaholic (and Surroundophile - sounds a bit naughty). In two months, I will have been a member of this dedicated and friendly group for three years. What a journey it has been and continues to be.

The very first week I've started digging these forums, I've stumbled onto this thread and a post in particular which just had my jaw drop. I would like to give a special shout-out to QQ member wavelength for inspiring in setting my ideal 5.0 system (Cheers Lad!). I saw the picture of his three Stereo amps (back then wee tube amps, now a trio of Rega Brio) used to drive his 5.0 gear and I knew right there and then that this was the path I wanted to follow. I had never been warm at the idea of hooking up everything into a unique processor. I knew I'd be using the analog outputs from my Oppo BDP-105 and connect these directly into an amp or amps. I was using a 1969 McIntosh MC2100 to drive my 1973 Spendor BC-1 speakers, which are my front speakers. I decided to try to find matching amps so I could have a richer and more balanced sound. In the U.S., it's a rather easy thing to do as hundreds of these amps were made and sold. In my neck of the woods, it's another story altogether.

It's taken me three years, but I have now just installed two pristine acquisitions which make me a very, very happy fella.

I was successful in finding another MC2100 to drive my rear speakers and a MC250 (the MC2100's little brother) to drive the center speaker in Mono mode and the sound is simply crazy. Whenever a 5.1 or 5.0 mixed track sends the bass in the Center, it just blooms. It will have taken me years to reach this level of sound and I'm really pleased with how this came about. I'm currently listening to On An Island by David Gilmour and I'm just stark, raving mad happy.

Here's how the set-up looks. I may not have the blue meters everybody raves about but I actually love this bad ass look the tube amp chassis give them.

View attachment 32716

View attachment 32717

View attachment 32718

View attachment 32719

Hi everyone,

Ten months following my post about my McIntosh amps, I am happy to say that I now have 5 matched speakers to go with them. I've acquired my first pair of Spendor BC-1 speakers in 2001 and I instantly fell in love with the sound of these classic British monitors. I lucked out a short while ago when I saw that two pairs were up for sale in Montreal. I got in touch with both sellers whom fortunately were pros who knew their stuff. A friend delivered both pairs to me yesterday and I can tell you that I blown away by how much better this new set-up sounds than what I had even imagined.

The first thing that I've played were my Dutton/Vocalion SACDs and I could not believe how much bass these classic 70's Quad mixes contain in the rear channels. Everything is better balanced and the mixes feel more cohesive.

The first modern mixes I've played were Andy Jackson's mixes for The Division Bell, On An Island and Rattle That Lock. This is how I had always wanted to hear Guy Pratt's bass sound like. These albums now sound better than I had ever heard them sound.

This old man with his old ears is truly thrilled with his old amps and his old speakers. I feel like I have a 1961Thunderbird and a 1968 Shelby parked in the driveway.

Quick snaps. I've just moved in a new place so I have yet to get the proper piece of furniture for the amps and TV, but it gives a rough idea of the set-up.

Last edited:
Well they weren't what I would call "barracks" but they were shelter with electricity. lol. Yeah Top used to get on this one guy for blasting music ...but it was from one of those turntable all-in-one sort of deals. I guess because the sound was so bad.
Me and two other E5's were threatened with jail time when this dude with one of those aforementioned "all in ones" left a James Brown record playing over and over, then left it playing and took off somewhere, and...well I've told the story plenty of times. Didn't know you could go to jail for using a record for a frisbee then melting it. Hee hee.

Well they weren't what I would call "barracks" but they were shelter with electricity. lol. Yeah Top used to get on this one guy for blasting music ...but it was from one of those turntable all-in-one sort of deals. I guess because the sound was so bad.
Me and two other E5's were threatened with jail time when this dude with one of those aforementioned "all in ones" left a James Brown record playing over and over, then left it playing and took off somewhere, and...well I've told the story plenty of times. Didn't know you could go to jail for using a record for a frisbee then melting it. Hee hee.
When they threatened you with jail time you must have broken out in a cold sweat!

Hi, here my Sansui gear, some is for sale as wife said stop after my last buy. Glad you didn't ask about Quad reel to reel..... she hasn't found them yet....
QRX-7001
QRX-4500
QS-500
Turntable P-L75

Attachments

• Qrx-4500 front.JPG
    Qrx-4500 front.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 166
  • sansui QRX-7001.png
    sansui QRX-7001.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 163
  • qs-500.JPG
    qs-500.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 174
  • Sansui P-l75.jpg
    Sansui P-l75.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 179
Whoa, I remember displays like that compu edit one on your turntable. Good times.
I purchased the turntable out of the US not working, currently have to run it though a transformer, currently looking to change to a 240v unit that fits in the same space. Don't use it much more of a novelty thing, my Thorens sound so much better.

I'll do a full set of pics of the room in the daylight soon but here's the front end of my listening rig
Martin Logan Montis and Stage
OPPO 205
Trinnov Altitude 16 Preamp/Decoder & Room Optimizer
McIntosh MC-275 for the fronts and a smaller solid state Mac for the center
Surrounds also ML running off a Carver

The TV stand is a rotating counterweight thing that hangs the screen in space (65")
Bass traps in all four corners and the walls have a decent amount of acoustics from GIK

The Trinnov is the key as it uses a 3-d mic and can adjust phase, amplitude, delays and echoes. It is brilliant on the bass so I can get a big full sound and no boominess. Plus it's got a very cool network interface that lets you solo channels, add curves if you wand and do up to 24 different optimizations for different genres plus a mixing board style adjustment set up

It also does 16 channels of Atmos or Auro which is obviously brilliant
IMG_2986.jpg
Trinnov Output controls.jpg
Trinnov Atmos meters.jpg

Last edited:
Great drool worthy system! Kal just did a glowing review of the Trinnov Altitude in Stereophile magazine. Now, if only I were lucky enough to hit the lottery!

I gotta be honest
It's kinda worth robbing a bank for
It will give you as good a room as you can get
And you'd never think it was processed, just clean, discrete surround

Back