Show us your gear!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a DV issue with blacks, and this isn't just the LG OLED displays... the firmware update is out in Europe for the fix and soon to be here. I have nothing DV at present so not a big deal yet for me. The 65" replaces a Panni 60" plasma, and with the bigger bezel on the Panni, the foot print on the two displays is about the same. Had a price drop here to about $2150 US for the 65" so jumped in. The sub is a 12" front firing, to go with a 12" bottom firing I had...they work well together after some set up time.

My Panny VT-60(65inch)is now 4 years old...the picture is excellent...I purchased it at the very end of Panasonic Plasma production...I had purchased the 50 GT-50 9 months earlier but when they announced the end of production I bought the 65inch..I only used the GT50 for 9 months:yikes...and it's been sitting there ever since...I just didn't want to sell it for fear something would happen to the 65inch...where I live there is a lot of serious lightning strikes and power outages..even with a surge protector you are at risk...although the blacks are better on the OLEDs...they still have motion issues...and the longevity is questionable..they won't last anywhere close to a plasma..but usually I would replace my TV's every few years anyway...but OLED is the only option for me now...but if I want to move up it's got to be a bigger screen size than 65...the price on the 77 has dropped a lot...but hearing that a 88 inch LG is on the horizon...makes me pause..

Update with more pictures,

DhbsovN.jpg

RqcRTr9.jpg

37KuvF7.jpg

iyZDdWJ.jpg

9ocUta5.jpg

wqO1Zf3.jpg

2C55B4K.jpg

cmQNPgZ.jpg

dqwGntz.jpg

GNyBG2F.jpg

Saving now for a 75" - 80" 4K HDTV and the OPPO 203 4K blu-ray player :)

Regards,

Last edited:
My Panny VT-60(65inch)is now 4 years old...the picture is excellent...I purchased it at the very end of Panasonic Plasma production...I had purchased the 50 GT-50 9 months earlier but when they announced the end of production I bought the 65inch..I only used the GT50 for 9 months:yikes...and it's been sitting there ever since...I just didn't want to sell it for fear something would happen to the 65inch...where I live there is a lot of serious lightning strikes and power outages..even with a surge protector you are at risk...although the blacks are better on the OLEDs...they still have motion issues...and the longevity is questionable..they won't last anywhere close to a plasma..but usually I would replace my TV's every few years anyway...but OLED is the only option for me now...but if I want to move up it's got to be a bigger screen size than 65...the price on the 77 has dropped a lot...but hearing that a 88 inch LG is on the horizon...makes me pause..

I too have a last gen Panasonic plasma and am having a hard time holding off from getting a 65" LG OLED.
I think the price of an 88" LG OLED is going to give you pause, Clint ;)

I too have a last gen Panasonic plasma and am having a hard time holding off from getting a 65" LG OLED.
I think the price of an 88" LG OLED is going to give you pause, Clint ;)

The 88 won't be around for awhile.. at the earliest in the 2019 lineup...maybe 2020...I realize it will be pricey...but LG doesn't sit on the initial price very long..after one model year the discounts begin..and they are in the controlling position in the marketplace...they make the panels...but the 77 is within my reach now...I just want to see some improvements...the black levels alone won't be enough for me..of course as I say that in earnest..that larger screen size is what I crave:banana:

Have you seen native 4k content on a calibrated LG OLED?
Bloody impressive, imo.

That's the problem Milt...I haven't seen a calibrated OLED..and when I watch those demo loops in retail stores provided by LG...I can spot the motion issues easily..I have no idea what the settings are for the in store displays because I have no menu access...and the people in Costco ask me for advice(I'm in there almost every day)on displays...and my local Best Buy is just as bad...they give mis-information all the time in there..simply just make up things to tell the customers..at any rate..my next jump has to be a bigger screen size..I'm locked in on that..

Reactions: GOS
That's the problem Milt...I haven't seen a calibrated OLED..and when I watch those demo loops in retail stores provided by LG...I can spot the motion issues easily..I have no idea what the settings are for the in store displays because I have no menu access...and the people in Costco ask me for advice(I'm in there almost every day)on displays...and my local Best Buy is just as bad...they give mis-information all the time in there..simply just make up things to tell the customers..at any rate..my next jump has to be a bigger screen size..I'm locked in on that..

I have my TV on the recommending settings from Rtings and it looks darn good. In store they put them in "torch mode" (one of many reasons not to get a demo model TV) which blows everything out and makes it look super vibrant but at a cost.

It might be a good thing that you haven't viewed an OLED under ideal conditions. :)
Screen size is my thing as well.
My Panny is only 55". I kick myself every NFL season for not getting the one you have and now during the Olympics. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The Pannys still kick the crap out of OLED lit LCDs.

Those VT plasmas are pretty sweet. Assume you were able to avoid IR, which is still an issue that could rear its ugly head on OLED. I’m doing a couple hundred hours with full screen video, no black bars and no station logos/screen bars from sports, weather, news channels etc. I loved my plasmas, have 2 of them. One is 10 years old and still looks great. But like Milt said, calibrate an OLED and just...wow. I’ve had the screen go black between scenes a couple of times and thought the tv had shut off. Longevity isn’t as much of a concern as it used to be with these, and like you I’ll likely trade before that time ever shows. Angle viewing is a big deal for me where this set is. The plasma was great of course, and so is this one. Very difficult to get good viewing angles from anything non-OLED these days. Here’s a photo from the place I made the purchase. Two of these are LG OLEDs, an E7 65”, and a B7P like mine, except it’s 55”. Can you pick them out? ;)368EA201-2289-4C0C-BB43-0A573782B5BD.jpg

The IR problems with OLED made me go for LCD/LED when I got a new tv last fall. My 2007 Panasonic plasma had severe IR burn in after a few years. Logos all over the screen.

Got a 65" (Sony X900E series) and I am very happy with it.

The best thing about the tv is that it's very bright. Earlier with the plasma I had to close the curtains and turn up the brightness on sunny days. No need to do that with the Sony, it's even great to watch in direct sunlight.

The choice could have been different if I did watch movies in the night/evenings on tv. But size is much more important to me than perfect blacks - I watch movies with projector on a 106" screen. Smaller screens just don't give me that "Cinema" feeling.

I use a master switch to turn the power off to all electronics at bedtime (after they are all individually turned off). I believe this could be a problem with the OLED "cleaning cycle"?

I have looked through all posts & pics of great set up & I am so impressed. I especially like the use of brand name signage & logos on display. Alas I never took advantage of getting things like that when I could.

Anyway I just ran across an article on CNET that gives you a chance to submit pics of your home theater & be displayed on their website:

https://www.cnet.com/news/cnet-show-us-yours-submission/

As you can see from some of our examples, we don't care if your setup is super high-end or bootstrapped on a modest budget. It's all about your personal vision and what special bit of creativity you brought to the project

Of course I immediately connected that to the cool set ups I've seen here. Someone should consider this & think of the fun of shamelessly plugging Quadraphonics again!

Hi all,

I updated my system over this winter to support ATMOS and 4K.

Added:
Oppo 203 (sold Oppo 105)
Marantz SR6011 AVR
SVS Prime Elevation speakers (rear heights)
Definitive Technology A-60 speakers (up firing fronts)
Vizio M65 LED (donated Panasonic ST55 to my father)

I do have a little buyers remorse on the Def. Tech A-60's. I used them as I already had the Def. Tech BP8060 towers and I could install the A-60's right on top for a nice clean look. I may move to using the SVS Elevation speakers in the front as well as I find the rear heights to be more effective.

Attachments

• IMG_3609 (2).JPG
    IMG_3609 (2).JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3611.JPG
    IMG_3611.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3598.JPG
    IMG_3598.JPG
    441.6 KB · Views: 2,141
  • IMG_3612 (1).JPG
    IMG_3612 (1).JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 152
Hi everyone. My name is Simon, and I'm a Quadaholic (and Surroundophile - sounds a bit naughty). In two months, I will have been a member of this dedicated and friendly group for three years. What a journey it has been and continues to be.

The very first week I've started digging these forums, I've stumbled onto this thread and a post in particular which just had my jaw drop. I would like to give a special shout-out to QQ member wavelength for inspiring in setting my ideal 5.0 system (Cheers Lad!). I saw the picture of his three Stereo amps (back then wee tube amps, now a trio of Rega Brio) used to drive his 5.0 gear and I knew right there and then that this was the path I wanted to follow. I had never been warm at the idea of hooking up everything into a unique processor. I knew I'd be using the analog outputs from my Oppo BDP-105 and connect these directly into an amp or amps. I was using a 1969 McIntosh MC2100 to drive my 1973 Spendor BC-1 speakers, which are my front speakers. I decided to try to find matching amps so I could have a richer and more balanced sound. In the U.S., it's a rather easy thing to do as hundreds of these amps were made and sold. In my neck of the woods, it's another story altogether.

It's taken me three years, but I have now just installed two pristine acquisitions which make me a very, very happy fella.

I was successful in finding another MC2100 to drive my rear speakers and a MC250 (the MC2100's little brother) to drive the center speaker in Mono mode and the sound is simply crazy. Whenever a 5.1 or 5.0 mixed track sends the bass in the Center, it just blooms. It will have taken me years to reach this level of sound and I'm really pleased with how this came about. I'm currently listening to On An Island by David Gilmour and I'm just stark, raving mad happy.

Here's how the set-up looks. I may not have the blue meters everybody raves about but I actually love this bad ass look the tube amp chassis give them.

McIntosh Galore redux 1.jpg

McIntosh Galore redux 2.jpg

McIntosh Galore redux 3.jpg

McIntosh Galore redux 4.jpg

Back