Silverline DVD-A Winners & Losers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MOST of the Silverline DVD~A 5.1 titles licensed from the Sanctuary Records label were UPSAMPLED stereo and IMO, sound MUCH improved when one plays the MLP DVD~A stereo mix instead. Of course, the Live From The Front Row series (with few exceptions) probably did more to harm the label's reputation than all others combined. Actually, the Pat Benatar and Gerry Rafferty Front Row discs sound GREAT in DVD~A stereo. At least they're true hi res.

Those were King Biscuit Flow Hour shows, not the best ones either. But I am wondering is any Silverlines of KBFH had SQ encoding intact.

Originally Posted by Mike the Fish
Just to confirm, the classical stuff is ambient surround, yes?

Authentic quad can have only "ambient surround" info. It is the way it is sometimes mixed, and has nothing to do with being fake or authentic quad. I am trying to avoid those kinds of quad mixes for classical myself. Are these nice 4-channel with instruments in rears?

I haven't received them all so I can only comment of those I currently have. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by ambient, you mean that the rears basically offer what the fronts give you but with more reverb so to create the surround effect, correct?

I'm currently listening to the Brahms Symphonies 2 & 3 and the way it was mic'ed and recorded gives you a part of the strings section in the front and the other part in the rears. Same for the woodwinds and brass sections. Since these are not playing the same things, there is interaction between the fronts and the rears. Obviously, these being recorded simultaneously and in a large hall, there will always be an "ambient" aspect to the sound. In Rock and Jazz studio recordings, it's much easier to offer a discrete mix as most of the instruments are recorded separately, each with their own effects and EQ.

All I can really say is that I like the way these sound. I'm more tolerant to the sound of Multichannel Classical recordings than I am with Rock ones where I expect a larger "discrete" level in the mixes.

Specifically I think I meant hall ambience (I mean hall ambience in itself is fine, but I wouldn't want that as the sole rear information), but your assumption fits in with what I'd want to avoid too. :)

This is BY FAR one of the true wonders of Dualdisc released in extraordinary MLP DVD~A 5.1 DISCRETE surround and the better your system, the more tactile it will sound. Your speakers will disappear and the brilliant sound of Scottish singer songwriter Jackie Leven will reward you in a way few albums will in this disposable age. IMO, EVERY cut is a winner!

For the price [brand NEW], how could you NOT? One of the BIGGEST bargains in the current market for an extraordinary musical journey: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=1&refRID=ZZBNHVNCD15ZNQRBXDFR&tag=acleint-20

If you like Van Morrison.....you'll LOVE Jackie Leven!

This is BY FAR one of the true wonders of Dualdisc released in extraordinary MLP DVD~A 5.1 DISCRETE surround and the better your system, the more tactile it will sound. Your speakers will disappear and the brilliant sound of Scottish singer songwriter Jackie Leven will reward you in a way few albums will in this disposable age. IMO, EVERY cut is a winner!

For the price [brand NEW], how could you NOT? One of the BIGGEST bargains in the current market for an extraordinary musical journey: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=1&refRID=ZZBNHVNCD15ZNQRBXDFR&tag=acleint-20

The reviews, for example AllMusic, sound amazing. Thanks so much for your post. Ordered for $10cdn. He reminds me of Boz Scaggs too.

MOST of the Silverline DVD~A 5.1 titles licensed from the Sanctuary Records label were UPSAMPLED stereo and IMO, sound MUCH improved when one plays the MLP DVD~A stereo mix instead. Of course, the Live From The Front Row series (with few exceptions) probably did more to harm the label's reputation than all others combined. Actually, the Pat Benatar and Gerry Rafferty Front Row discs sound GREAT in DVD~A stereo. At least they're true hi res.

Gerry Rafferty had a "Live From The Front Row " disc ?

Did not know that . Only aware of his Silverline , Best of the Humblebums "Can I Have My Money Back ?" which is not a live disc.

On a separate matter, namely SQ and United Artists, my 101a did a fantastic job of creating a convincing surround field from his "City To City" and "Night Owl " lps. Very impressive actually.Made me wonder....is U.A. slipping matrix into the mix.??

:music

Jackie Leven's band Doll by Doll made several records that would all be amazing in surround. They are amazing in stereo.

Gerry Rafferty had a "Live From The Front Row " disc ?

Did not know that . Only aware of his Silverline , Best of the Humblebums "Can I Have My Money Back ?" which is not a live disc.

On a separate matter, namely SQ and United Artists, my 101a did a fantastic job of creating a convincing surround field from his "City To City" and "Night Owl " lps. Very impressive actually.Made me wonder....is U.A. slipping matrix into the mix.??

:music

Good point Sherlock Wiggs! :upthumb

tbh I suspect there are/were more UA Quads than we'll doubtless ever know.. and that's not even factoring in those that were assigned catalogue numbers but never materialised like Traffic & Hawkwind.. and I'm with you on there being real possibilities for matrix encoded stealth UA Quads in as much as they did those couple of random weirdos in SQ (John Gregory) and QS (Paul Anka) even though the bulk of their stuff was on Q8 afaik...

could there be some unreleased ELO Quads on UA, for example.. ? :eek:
('ELO, 'ELO.. wot do we 'av 'ere then..!? :smokin )

Ps. I like that Jackie Leven album (don't remember it being knock your socks off surround but it possibly is one of the better Silverline's from a surround p.o.v.. I'll give it another airing soon to reinvigorate zee leetel grey cellsssss.... I'm sure I had Ralph the 4-earredwonder to thank for the recommendation in the first place.. recommendations flowed outta him like wine back in the sa-cd days.. good times baby.. good times :smokin )

Good point Sherlock Wiggs! :upthumb

tbh I suspect there are/were more UA Quads than we'll doubtless ever know.. and that's not even factoring in those that were assigned catalogue numbers but never materialised like Traffic & Hawkwind.. and I'm with you on there being real possibilities for matrix encoded stealth UA Quads in as much as they did those couple of random weirdos in SQ (John Gregory) and QS (Paul Anka) even though the bulk of their stuff was on Q8 afaik...

could there be some unreleased ELO Quads on UA, for example.. ? :eek:
('ELO, 'ELO.. wot do we 'av 'ere then..!? :smokin )

No kidding,

I wasn't going to mention my ELO -EL DORADO , U.A. or THE THIRD DAY, but yes those two are incredible plus all HAWKWIND (first 4 or 5 anyway). It's possibly just coincidental, but it's also possible something was done to enhance those discs all of which were issued during the quad heydays.
United Artists were somewhat subtle with their quad indicated discs, in Europe and North America.
(BTW the Nektar British RTF and DTE are not quad emblem marked, but I had the one BRITISH U.A. copy of DTE and it contained the BELLAPHON/BACILLUS quad disc # along with the U.A. # in the vinyl stamping !)
This proves that sometimes they actually ship the metal masters .

Last night I listened to the lovely Sibelius Symphonies #'s 1 & 4 from Maurice Abravanel conducting the Utah Symphony Orchestra (Vanguard/Silverline). Very highly recommended. Definitely NOT upmixes as the rears are awash in Symphony Hall ambience.

One can purchase ALL seven Sibelius symphonies from AmazonUS at less than $20 delivered. Worth considering adding this set to your collection.

Am currently listening to the rapturous Rachmaninov Symphony #3 in A Minor, Op. 44 and the Chanson Georgienne by Abravanel & the Utah Symphony Orchestra. https://www.amazon.com/Symphony-No-...=8-6&keywords=Silverline+DVD~A&tag=acleint-20

Last night I listened to the lovely Sibelius Symphonies #'s 1 & 4 from Maurice Abravanel conducting the Utah Symphony Orchestra (Vanguard/Silverline). Very highly recommended. Definitely NOT upmixes as the rears are awash in Symphony Hall ambience.

One can purchase ALL seven Sibelius symphonies from AmazonUS at less than $20 delivered. Worth considering adding this set to your collection.

I've received mine this week (along with all the Brahms Symphonies, the Rachmaninov Symphony No. 3, and the Mahler Symphony No. 5) and I'm very happy with all of them.

I've received mine this week (along with all the Brahms Symphonies, the Rachmaninov Symphony No. 3, and the Mahler Symphony No. 5) and I'm very happy with all of them.

As you SHOULD be, Master Simon. They're beautiful, heartfelt performances for pennies on the dollar, whether Canadian or American! :sun

Brimstone Butterfly: Normality Killed The Cat

What an extremely pleasant surprise. I ordered this album on the off-chance after checking out some of the tracks on Amazon but I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Guitar based rock with a very good DVD-A surround mix and the entire album's worth of videos in DD 5.1. It wasn't until I watched the "making of" that I realised the band was from Denmark. Well worth checking out.

Thanks to mattB2 for the recommendation -- even though it's over a decade old post :)

I picked up a new copy from an Amazon third party seller for the princely sum of eighteen cents and shipping. It's a good straight-ahead rock 'n roll album with a fairly decent surround mix.

Thanks to mattB2 for the recommendation -- even though it's over a decade old post :)

I picked up a new copy from an Amazon third party seller for the princely sum of eighteen cents and shipping. It's a good straight-ahead rock 'n roll album with a fairly decent surround mix.

And thanks hafquark (and mattB2) for your recommendation... I've just ordered my copy.

Did you get the dualdisc? If so does it have a dvd-a side?

He reminds me of Boz Scaggs too.

I am checking this disc based on these recommendations. I would characterize his voice as Warren Zevon meets Boz Scaggs, with a little more Warren.

I got this disc on 7/26/12 for under $5, and it has remained sealed in my collection since that date.

Listening now for the first time. So far, so good!

I am checking this disc based on these recommendations. I would characterize his voice as Warren Zevon meets Boz Scaggs, with a little more Warren.

I got this disc on 7/26/12 for under $5, and it has remained sealed in my collection since that date.

Listening now for the first time. So far, so good!

The Jackie Leven DVD~A sounds 'otherworldly' on my system. I was playing it recently and sonically, it IS one of the better discs in my collection. Surprised it never caught on. The surround is hardly subtle as my listening room was awash in swirling effects and created quite the immersive soundfield.

To me, at least, it's a 10 out of 10!

https://www.amazon.com/Shining-Brot...&sr=1-3-fkmr2&keywords=Jackie+Leven+DVD~Audio

Back