Quad LP/Tape Poll Simon, Paul: There Goes Rhymin' Simon [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Rhymin' Simon"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters
Thanks? But I'm referring to the fact that the surround (maybe the stereo) are reported to be 44.1k. Since DVD-A encoding was apparently used, I can see calling this release "lossless," but not hi res. Also, as I stated, I've read mixed reviews about the mix, too. So, very odd choice to link to.

Actually I knew the question...I just wanted to provide information...like the availability to purchase it in the right side of the page....my mistake was directing it to you...and not the forum as a whole...odd choice and all:geek:

If you're referring to the Graceland remixes....yes, it is Lo res and the samples offered at SHF are meh! Can't imagine Simon preferring that over a proper 5.1 remix of his classic.

I just streamed it via Tidal. It was OK background music but yeah...why on earth is Simon OK with that but won't allow multichannel reissues. It's just plain weird.

What I'd like to read is real verification that Paul Simon has a problem with reissues of monaural or quad mixes of his or S&G's catalog. There's speculation but no attribution, and it gets tiring reading about what he does or doesn't approve of. I know for a fact that he does control his solo catalog, but S&G's? That's another matter. I can't imagine, though, that if he approved of quad for his solo work that he'd have a problem with reissues? Why?

ED :)

What I'd like to read is real verification that Paul Simon has a problem with reissues of monaural or quad mixes of his or S&G's catalog. There's speculation but no attribution, and it gets tiring reading about what he does or doesn't approve of. I know for a fact that he does control his solo catalog, but S&G's? That's another matter. I can't imagine, though, that if he approved of quad for his solo work that he'd have a problem with reissues? Why?

ED :)

While I realize it's downright impertinent to suggest what's truly in P. Simon's mind regarding his stance on QUAD reissues, it does seem awfully strange that SONY Japan pulled the plug on Bridge....w/o the slightest explanation.

And for Paul to license his most iconic album GRACELAND for a 'house' style remix instead of releasing it in 5.1 is even more perplexing. The reviews were pretty AWFUL!

We may never know, Ed, Simon's reasoning regarding reissue of his back QUAD catalogue, but speculation aside, doubtful we ever will!

And what I always find patently amusing is the utmost secrecy regarding the machinations of the reissue companies.....equalling the CIA/FBI/Interpol's 'classified' designations......which would even prompt agent 007 to scratch his head!:ROFLMAO:Shhhhh!

Last edited:
This album is 47 years young today. American Tune is such an amazing piece of art hundreds of years in the making. Truly a wonderful representation of modern humanity and something to put in a time capsule. I've been trying to learn the song on guitar for at least five years. It's so challenging!
The quad mix is really fun too. Tenderness, Mardi Gras, One man's ceiling... Such a genius songwriter. This mix and fidelity are great for me. Love it. 10/10.

Last edited:
This album is 47 years young today. American Tune is such an amazing piece of art hundreds of years in the making. Truly a wonderful representation of modern humanity and something to put in a time capsule. I've been trying to learn the song on guitar for at least five years. It's so challenging!
The quad mix is really fun too. Tenderness, Mardi Gras, One man's ceiling... Such a genius songwriter. This mix and fidelity are great for me. Love it. 10/10.

I think so highly of this album in every regard; the music in terms of composition and performance, the songwriting and especially the quadraphonic mix. You could take your joystick balancer and solo any channel and the musicality would still jump out at you. Lots of wonderful little details. hats off to a terrific album!

I recall bringing this one home in SQ and my brother (who never got into quad) remarked 'you finally got a quad worth listening to!' While he's not right about that, it is a very well-loved yet commercial LP. And the mix is great. What no one has mentioned is my favorite cut on the album, perhaps of all Paul Simon, is St. Judy's Comet. Catchy song singing your son to sleep with a fun mix too. Love it. And the harmonies on Loves me like a Rock. Just great!

I couldn't disagree more. Even his recent work crushes much of the S&G stuff. I think in all eras he had inspired songs and some not so much. The only "perfect" album he ever did was Graceland, well after Artie.
I remember clearly what Nick Logan wrote in NME rock encyclopedia he's been only musical and lyrical apprentice in those days. His talents literally blossomed in 70s.

Back