Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything? quad

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the same - I've had this for years and was never going to release it as I knew what debate it would solicit. Firstly the guy (who gave it me) told me it was an unreleased test master and the person who gave it me is very genuine. It stacks up inasmuch that DTS was used for early surround as I have a great collection of DTS albums that pre-date DVD-A and SACD. It sounds also that it was made from a mixture of bounced stereo and multitracks which were purportedly all that remained of the originals.

What I can say is that this was always one of my favorite albums from the 70's. I actually wore through my original vinyl copy by taking it to parties and friends etc. I normally cannot tolerate (standard) DTS apart from the hardware encoded retail discs I mentioned - however this disc has a flat transferred quality that is there on the vocals and not quite the same on some other copies, so to me that always swung it.

The point is if you enjoy it, which I do, I say thanks to whoever did this, be it Todd or not.

I'm the same - I've had this for years and was never going to release it as I knew what debate it would solicit. Firstly the guy (who gave it me) told me it was an unreleased test master and the person who gave it me is very genuine. It stacks up inasmuch that DTS was used for early surround as I have a great collection of DTS albums that pre-date DVD-A and SACD. It sounds also that it was made from a mixture of bounced stereo and multitracks which were purportedly all that remained of the originals.

What I can say is that this was always one of my favorite albums from the 70's. I actually wore through my original vinyl copy by taking it to parties and friends etc. I normally cannot tolerate (standard) DTS apart from the hardware encoded retail discs I mentioned - however this disc has a flat transferred quality that is there on the vocals and not quite the same on some other copies, so to me that always swung it.

The point is if you enjoy it, which I do, I say thanks to whoever did this, be it Todd or not.

There are also a few small differences I noticed upon listening to the intros to at least one song, that is present on the DTS but not the stereo. I think it's on one of the NY tracks on side 4.

In any case, thanks for releasing it. I wish more stuff like this would leak, I'm rabidly looking for more surround stuff as I'm wearing through a lot of the discs I have.

Too bad Silverline didn't license this one when they did that other title.

Maybe Mercedes will put it out for all those insiders to enjoy.

There are lots of "secret" Quads, nearly all of which are RM/QS. Tommy (movie soundtrack) - The Who, Beach Boys, Beaver & Krause, and many mid-'70's A&M/Horizon jazz titles. Although anything is possible, if this was intended for Quad, it would have been a discrete tape earmarked for CD-4/Q8 release.
Beaver and Krause Ghandarva was only issued in QS Quad in Japan. I doubt the CD issue features that mix.

Doesn't the CD release of this album contain the original stereo-4/electrovoice-4 encoded mix? I compared the lp and cd versions using the original electrovoice-4 passive decoder and they sounded the same.

Back