Sonos 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifthenwhy

Does anyone use a Sonos 5.1 system for Audio. I understand that it does not play DTS? Any other cons to the system? I'm looking to streamline my 5.1 gear due to space considerations and many of the aspects of the Sonos system look attractive. Thoughts?

I'm not sure you'd get the same fidelity as you would from a separates system even at a much cheaper price... That said I haven't actually heard the Sonos. But just call it a hunch. :phones I know that Bose do a similar 'all in' thing as well but I'd say they are more geared for movies... You should check if they can play FLAC, DSD etc? I couldn't see that mentioned in the specs....

Does anyone use a Sonos 5.1 system for Audio. I understand that it does not play DTS? Any other cons to the system? I'm looking to streamline my 5.1 gear due to space considerations and many of the aspects of the Sonos system look attractive. Thoughts?
Are you looking for some all-in-one thing with amplification and speakers or are you just looking for a streamer with an output that you'll feed to something else?

If the latter, you'll save a pile of money it you just buy a Raspberry Pi, equip it with the audio output card of your choice and install Max2Play software. That might sound like a lot of trouble, but it's really not. For about $100, you'll have a tiny little box that functions as both server and player. The only other thing you'll need is storage, which can be directly attached USB or networked. If you get a digital output, you'll be able to feed DTS and AC-3 to your receiver.

I'm not badmouthing Sonos, but there are some limitations to be aware of, one of which is how much it will take out of your wallet. There's also a limit to how many tracks it can handle, though for most normal people that's probably not an issue (it is for me, though). Having said that, I mostly hear nothing but good about Sonos' simplicity and reliability. As for DTS, I'm not sure. It's unlikely any self-contained device would work with it, but if their streamers have digital outputs, you should be OK.

Well, if space consideration is a must, there's a wonderful thread on how to setup a intel NUC with Kodi. These are small-footprint components that you can tuck away pratically everywhere.
Me, i'm using a small pc marketed as Windows10 tv-box media player (Vorke V1 Plus, Apollo Lake chipset that works OK with HDMI audio), which is the size of 3 cd cases stacked, with a hdmi audo etractor that feed the 5.1 receiver; files are stored or locally, on 2.5 usb3 drive, or on a server in the house.
Software-side, Kodi or Foobar, via phone remote apps or RDP from a windows machine.

Some images...
vorke-v1-plus-review-d01.jpg

GGBOB300292-1.jpg

What the world need now, other than Love as Burt Bachrach said, is a small-sized hdmi-enabled multichannel amplifier: looking at the stereo counterparts, there are lot of small-sized amplifiers, all with analog-only in, no multichannel except for car use, and none with hdmi-in.

Are you looking for some all-in-one thing with amplification and speakers or are you just looking for a streamer with an output that you'll feed to something else?

If the latter, you'll save a pile of money it you just buy a Raspberry Pi, equip it with the audio output card of your choice and install Max2Play software. That might sound like a lot of trouble, but it's really not. For about $100, you'll have a tiny little box that functions as both server and player. The only other thing you'll need is storage, which can be directly attached USB or networked. If you get a digital output, you'll be able to feed DTS and AC-3 to your receiver.

I'm not badmouthing Sonos, but there are some limitations to be aware of, one of which is how much it will take out of your wallet. There's also a limit to how many tracks it can handle, though for most normal people that's probably not an issue (it is for me, though). Having said that, I mostly hear nothing but good about Sonos' simplicity and reliability. As for DTS, I'm not sure. It's unlikely any self-contained device would work with it, but if their streamers have digital outputs, you should be OK.

Thanks for reply! I'm looking amps in speakers that I can"wirelessly" run and still use my Oppo player. It doesn't look like the wireless 5.1 market is all that robust yet?

Last edited:
If it's on the Bluetooth then you'll be streaming it with mp3 @128 quality. I have not heard the newest blutooth capabilities but i read a review recently that said it's just not quite there yet. but there are others here like brian or kai who would have the inside edge on that.

Bear in mind that you still need to power "wireless" speakers. You don't have to run a wire from the amp though.
I researched this subject a lot when my mother sought to install a sound system in her house. Ultimately I chose to run wire through the attic and walls, because I wasn't going to be able to deliver the SQ she wanted and I had to run power anyway.

If anyone else is interested I'm trying out:

https://www.nakamichi-usa.com

Which is surprisingly decent for a entry level "wireless" 5.1 system.

PROS

Easy to set up and configure
Surprisingly robust sound for a bar, sub and tiny satellites.
A very reasonable soundstage for a sound bar.
Priced correctly
GREAT customer support.
Flat out kicks the competitions ass in the wireless $1000 and under price range

CONS

It's giving me loads of trouble with SACD's, which may be reason enough to return it
It's a bit weak in the low mids and is a bit "spiky" in the high end (but this is no surprise).
The wired to sub satellites is a mild annoyance
Remote is meh.

Back