Sony Announces UBP-X800M2 4K UHD Blu-ray Player at CES 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My UBP-X800 has behaved very well; crisp speedy disc handling, better than the unit appearance and remote might suggest. If it played the multitude of burned DVD-A discs I have (burned AVCHD discs play fine) it would be just about perfect for most chores. Paid $159 so pretty amazing for that investment. I haven't exploited the USB port as yet.

Before I even think about the new player: I've been a loyal Samsung TV (HDR10) customer all this time; do I have to hop the fence into LG territory to get a Dolby Vision TV? When I've inquired about Dolby Vision with Samsung in the past, I was first told they were going to be pushing QLED feature-wise. A few months ago I was told that Samsung didn't want to pay the licensing fees.

On paper, Dolby Vision seems like a more advanced method of picture quality optimization; I did just look at the list of Dolby Vision discs available and I'm underwhelmed so far. Hoping there is better news coming.

At one time Samsung and Sony had the best pictures with their LCD, LED HDTV's. I've been over to the LG brand since 2008 and they've been IMO the leaders for over 10 years in picture quality. Having a son that was asst. manager at BB and a buddy's brother likewise at the ABC Warehouse (Michigan)
I've always checked out the latest and greatest. As of today nothing beats the LG OLED picture especially the Dolby Vision picture just phenomenal. I, believe it or not just switched to the X700 until the x800m2 is available, sold my Cambridge CXUHD not because the picture was bad but the Sony looks more lifelike with their Dolby Vision. (As always beauty is in the eye of the beholder). My demo/comparing days are over too expensive buying 5 different units to eliminate bias or hearsay. You believe what you want to believe....... Not a refugee.........
The X1000ES was a great unit also, but alas no DV, sold that one too. Hope we get info soon on the rumor's of the top of the line UBP-X1100ES model. Wished they just added the analog option 😋.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Will this new one play a burned DVD-Audio. An annoying issue with its predecessor.:confused:

Speaking of issues with the UBP-X800 I had to completely power it down and turn it on again because it would not properly connect to the Wi-fi and the internet. Says it did, then immediately come back with a network error. Not the first time it has happened. You think the firmware updates would fix these issues.

I bought two X800's last year. One works perfectly, the other does not freeze but it keeps losing the internet content settings. I guess it's luck-of-the-draw for the X800.

I spent weeks trying to find a Bluray player that accepts DVD-A here in China. I am stunned how few players, even ones manufactured over 10 years ago DON'T HAVE DVD-A capacity.
No bloody wonder DVD-A died, there were no bloody players to play them!

I spent weeks trying to find a Bluray player that accepts DVD-A here in China. I am stunned how few players, even ones manufactured over 10 years ago DON'T HAVE DVD-A capacity.
No bloody wonder DVD-A died, there were no bloody players to play them!

Go to japan :)

Well I suppose one reason manufacturers didn’t put much effort in DVD-audio capable players was that people didn’t buy them in the first place? I had the same problem in Sweden, this was back in 2014. They often had bluray and sacd, or bluray and dvd-a but very often they lacked one of the formats. No wonder I decided to go all digital a while back.

Back