Sony SQA-200 Decoder playing SQ in Mono?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zackmc

Hi!

I have been acquiring SQ decoders, and listening to hear what sounds like what.

Last week I got a Sony SQA-200. When SQ content is being played. The rear speakers turn mono. Then if I'm playing a normal stereo source the rears pan out in stereo. A couple months back I picked up a Sony SQR-6750 receiver. Funny enough the SQ decoding also decoded the rears in mono.

I have tested the decoding with an Ortofon OM30 on a 1200, and a Beomaster 8000 with a MMC EN20. I plan on getting an AT440MlB this week for my CD-4 issues.

I know Sony didn't make the best SQ decoders, however does anyone know how to correct this?

Hi. zackmc

Hi!

I have been acquiring SQ decoders, and listening to hear what sounds like what.

Last week I got a Sony SQA-200. When SQ content is being played. The rear speakers turn mono. Then if I'm playing a normal stereo source the rears pan out in stereo. A couple months back I picked up a Sony SQR-6750 receiver. Funny enough the SQ decoding also decoded the rears in mono.

I have tested the decoding with an Ortofon OM30 on a 1200, and a Beomaster 8000 with a MMC EN20. I plan on getting an AT440MlB this week for my CD-4 issues.

I know Sony didn't make the best SQ decoders, however does anyone know how to correct this?

There is really no way of improving on these old decoders, but if you still want to keep with Sony decoders they did do a reasonable good job with there SQD-2020 decoder

sonySQD2020[1].jpg

But if you want the ultimate SQ & QS Decoder that will be the Surround Master.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up!

I also have the Sansui QS-500. There is a selection for "Regular Matrix".

Not being able to find the original owners manual. I took a look at the QS-800 manual. Apparently the "Regular Matrix" is for SQ. Any opinions on that?

Yes the Sansui QS-500 is a good little 4 channel receiver amp, but that was there first attempt in there QS Matrix System they upgraded on there QRX Models to a much greater separation on there 4 channel matrix out put.

You can find a service manual for the QS-500.. at ( http://www.hifiengine.com/manual-library.shtml ) its free to join and to download..

Last edited:
P1020354.jpgP1020353.jpg
Thanks for the heads up!

I also have the Sansui QS-500. There is a selection for "Regular Matrix".

Not being able to find the original owners manual. I took a look at the QS-800 manual. Apparently the "Regular Matrix" is for SQ. Any opinions on that?

No, the 'RM' Regular Matrix position is not SQ ... it is QS. 'RM' was a way that Sony and its cohorts could offer QS decoding on its components without calling attention to Sansui's QS matrix ... and designating the RM/QS system as a generic matrix, even though the QS system performed better than SQ and was more compatible with stereo playback.

The photo is my Sony SQR-8750 receiver, showing 'SQ' and 'R-MTX' positions. Although Sansui eventually started offering designated SQ decoders on their equipment (my QSD-2 has it), they often had a "Phase Matrix" position that was used for SQ decoding.

As for your perception that the rear channels are mono, you might just be expecting too much from an entry-level SQ decoder. In general, both SQ and QS presented a triangle-shaped image, not a square as you might expect from quadraphonic playback. The QS presented a wider image at the rear, with less separation in front. SQ was the opposite, with a wider front image and narrow rear channel separation.

Last edited:
Sony SQD 2020 decoder is one of the most magnificent machines I have ever seen... I really like the design that Sony used during the 1970s, I do have a few machines from that time and the sound is beautiful!

Oh I DO love this...The first thing I would recommend is that you purchase Project 3 SQ Test Record PR401 SQ.

One of the reasons that many Quad records including CD 4 sound mono in the rear is the fault of the recording engineer who have a tendency of blending the rear channels.

The Sony SQR 6750 uses the SQD 2020 components for SQ decoding and does a great job decoding SQ records ( I have both). The top Sony SQ receiver is the SQR 8750. The top Sony SQ decoder is both the SQD 2020 and the SQD 2010 (which uses priority IC chips.

When testing using the Project 3 test record you will find out that both decoders will decode discretely. If the recording engineer did his job we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I doubt that the GREAT Surround Master decoder does any better then the Sony's top end decoders.

And here comes the storm. Eeeehaaawww!!

I had 2020 decoder many years ago
and sold it when I received the Audionics Tate decoder
What I did not like with the Sony was the sibilance
The sound would jump to rear channels
But with Enoch Light LPs he mixed them so as to get
the best surround effect
The debate about witch is the best SQ decoder is not so much
about the decoding but if you have the older models all are
about 40 years old and getting them repaired is getting harder
So enjoy what you have but when it breaks down
You will have a great backup

Oh I DO love this...The first thing I would recommend is that you purchase Project 3 SQ Test Record PR401 SQ.

One of the reasons that many Quad records including CD 4 sound mono in the rear is the fault of the recording engineer who have a tendency of blending the rear channels.

The Sony SQR 6750 uses the SQD 2020 components for SQ decoding and does a great job decoding SQ records ( I have both). The top Sony SQ receiver is the SQR 8750. The top Sony SQ decoder is both the SQD 2020 and the SQD 2010 (which uses priority IC chips.

When testing using the Project 3 test record you will find out that both decoders will decode discretely. If the recording engineer did his job we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I doubt that the GREAT Surround Master decoder does any better then the Sony's top end decoders.

And here comes the storm. Eeeehaaawww!!

Hi. The Bushmaster

I think you are a BIG teaser,.....:rolleyes:..... the top SQ Decoder was the Tate 101a so this is the unit you judge by I have the Sony SQD-2020 & the 2010 unit the 2020 needs attention but the 2010 is in mint condition I think this unit does a pretty good job of decoding and has a great look with the 4 meters and its connectability I also have a fully restored Lafayette SQ-W unit which is plan looking but in my opinion does a better job of decoding than the Sony 2010 unit.

But the pinnacle MODERN day SQ & QS decoder has to be the Surround Master it is equal to the Tate 101a unit if not better period.
Bill...

Bill

Not everyone can afford a Tate so I judge decoders to the one that is affordable to most people. SQD 2020.

Years ago my first decoder was a SQ-L. Composer was the best decoder for stereo records and tapes. I've never had a chance to work with the SQ-W though I've heard that it is pretty damn good.

I got a hold of the specs for the Sound Master and found that the specs were not much different then the SQD 2020.

I have a restored SQD 2020 in service and one that has been recapped in storage for backup. I also have a Vista SQ decoder (came as a kit) that uses the "priority IC chips that the SQD 2010 uses. It's specs are right at or near the same as the SQD 2020. All I had to do was come up with a power supply and a case to put it all in.

Mike

Bill

Not everyone can afford a Tate so I judge decoders to the one that is affordable to most people. SQD 2020.

Years ago my first decoder was a SQ-L. Composer was the best decoder for stereo records and tapes. I've never had a chance to work with the SQ-W though I've heard that it is pretty damn good.

I got a hold of the specs for the Sound Master and found that the specs were not much different then the SQD 2020.

I have a restored SQD 2020 in service and one that has been recapped in storage for backup. I also have a Vista SQ decoder (came as a kit) that uses the "priority IC chips that the SQD 2010 uses. It's specs are right at or near the same as the SQD 2020. All I had to do was come up with a power supply and a case to put it all in.

Mike

Hi. The Bushmaster

Well I must agree with you on the price of a Tate 101a unit you buy from eBay today the last one I noticed was about year & half ago went on eBay for $1800.00 out of the reach of most people. I bought my Tate a year before the company went bankrupt and got it half the going price through a Quad club I belonged to at the time.
I do like some of the vintage gear that was available at the time, I am a Sansui man.
But if you want a modern decoder today the Surround Master must be a serious contender..
Bill...

And the Surround Master just doesn't have enough inputs and out puts to do the job. I have four tape decks. RT 707, two GX 270D SS', CS 721, CT F700. One tuner (TX 540), two KLH TNE 7000As. Tascam CD-RW5000, 4DD-5, two SA 750 integrated amps and two SB 300s to control and direct all this. Not to mention the SQD 2020.

Back