Sony SQD-2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried all sorts of combinations! using the volume on the receiver is the only way to get me over the cliff volume-wise without topping out the needle on the decoder. The HK should handle it (I think?). On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say the HK won't go past 5. Usually, for non-quad, it's at 3-ish. It gets loud pretty quickly.

I swear, I spend more time dicking with this crap than actually listening to music (or working... someone is actually paying me to do real work this week, which I'm pretty sure doesn't entail messing with quad gear).

I swear, I spend more time dicking with this crap than actually listening to music.

The sad part is usually when I get one thing working, I get bored, then get something else that isn't working.

Wondering if there's a cheap and easy way to boost the signal for the front speakers coming out of the SQD before hitting the H/K. Any ideas? The backs don't really need the extra juice. But if I could do both, i suppose that's preferable.

The SQD also colors the sound. I guess there's nothing you can do about that. With the tape monitor switch turned off, the sound from the HK is not only louder, but a bit fuller sounding. Something def gets lost by the time you go out of the receiver, into the decoder, decode the audio, and send it back to the receiver.

I'd still like to look into adding some sort of amp between them, though I suppose that will color the sound even further. What to do..... (besides nothing).

It's at full. All this probably isn't that a big a deal, I'm just trying not to run the volume on the receiver louder than I normally do without the decoder attached. I don't want to burn anything out in my receiver by having the volume up too high when I'm using the decoder. Perhaps I'm ovelry worried about it, but the receiver was pricey and I don't want to fry it.

Is the LEVEL ADJUST control on the BACK at full? If not, that is what it is for and may help.

So long as you're not producing audible distortion, you won't fry anything.

It's at full. All this probably isn't that a big a deal, I'm just trying not to run the volume on the receiver louder than I normally do without the decoder attached. I don't want to burn anything out in my receiver by having the volume up too high when I'm using the decoder. Perhaps I'm ovelry worried about it, but the receiver was pricey and I don't want to fry it.

QL is correct. Where you set your receiver's volume control does not, of itself, determine the power output...that changes with each different audio source. So, your main concern is not where the volume control is set at all, but rather the actual OUTPUT of the amplifier itself. When you set your volume control 'higher' when using the SQuiD, you are merely accomodating the lower line level output of the SQuiD.

Thank you both for the answer. The receiver cost me a small fortune in repairs to get it working (I'm sure I was over charged) and it's sometimes a bit touchy. Since I've DeOxit-ed all the switches it's been behaving fine, but I was worried I'd risk burning out the capacitors or something if I had the volume knob up too high. My knowledge of electronics is slim-to-none. I'm sure the H/K could still use a really good internal cleaning. The repair guy said he was going to do it, but he did not. I'd bring it back to him, but this man is certifiable and I just don't want to deal with him again.

Rich

QL is correct. Where you set your receiver's volume control does not, of itself, determine the power output...that changes with each different audio source. So, your main concern is not where the volume control is set at all, but rather the actual OUTPUT of the amplifier itself. When you set your volume control 'higher' when using the SQuiD, you are merely accomodating the lower line level output of the SQuiD.

This is true, but it should also be noted, that if any distortion were to happen, the higher the volume is set, the more likely damage would be the result of the distortion.

Glad the switches arrived ok - and they fitted, remember me if you ever come down to this part of the world.

Assuming this is directed at me...I'll be installing one this weekend.

Coincidentally, I am shipping an LP to NZ this week!

Thanks again

Ugh... help. My SQD-2020 triggers the CD-4 demodulator on my H/K receiver resulting in splatty, sandpaper distortion. Trying to play Santana's "Abraxas" and all the guitars cause distortion hell. Is there anything I can do? It doesn't seem to matter what cartrige I'm using, my AT440mla, my AT12S (shibata), or my Grado Red, though the grado seems to be prone to more splat.

I'm about ready to sell this H/K and buy a Sansui 9001.

I have come to the conclusion I'm SOL on the above issue (the SQD-2020 triggering the demodulator on my HK 800+ receiver and causing massive distortion on cymbals, guitars, etc.). I've tried four different cartridges at various tracking weights and all cause the issue. I suppose I could use the built-in SQ decoder on the receiver and put the Squid in the closet for now. Or upgrade the receiver to a Sansui and hope that the Squid doesn't cause the same issue there. I really don't know. What's causing the receiver to think CD4 is coming through? I've played back multichannel DVD-As through the receiver with the dial on CD4 and this never happens-- only on records played via the SQD-2020.

It's very frustrating, cause I've nearly perfected my CD4 playback with the addition of an AT440mla to my cart lineup.

Hey there. I have never had an HK quad receiver, but i find it prepostorous that there would be no way to turn the CD-4 setting off. Sure there is absolutely no way to disable CD-4 demodulating? I would check again.

But if that is the case, and you can't turn the CD-4 demodulating off, I have your answer!

Firstly, the reason why it has never happened on DVD-A discs, is because you would have the DVD player connected to the 4-channel discrete inputs, or the tape in input. It is at least smart enough not to look for CD-4 carrier on these inputs.

So what do you do??!! Here comes the big answer.

Buy a stand alone phono preamp (I would buy an older one, even a cheap old realistic one off ebay, I don't really trust the new ones that are set up for USB and whatnot). The reason why it is trying to decode CD-4 is because you are using the phono section on the HK as the phono preamp for the SQD-2020! When a sound on the record is high pitched enough, it triggers the good ol carrier seeker on the HK.

So the solution is easy. Don't run the turntable through the phono section on the HK, run it through a phono preamp instead. You may have to swap cables to get CD-4 back.

Or.

Buy a JVC 4DD-5 CD-4 demodulator (which with a turn of a switch becomes a stereo phono preamp) and never swap cables again. And it may provide better CD-4 performance than the receiver.

All these options are a lot cheaper and easier than scrapping the HK.

Well sir,

1. The 2020 is going out to the 4 tape monitor in jacks, but yeah. Since the table is going first into the phono inputs that's causing some issue.

2. There's no way to turn off the demodulator.

3. I tried three preamps but I lose CD4 with each one. They must be clipping the highs. The CD4 light never even blinked. I don't think it's the cables but I have a pair of monster cables I could try that should be low cap.

4. I think the JVC demodulator is going to be the solution.

5. I'm pretty sure I hate quad at this point.

The reason why you loose CD-4 when you use a preamp, is because the only input on the HK that goes through the the CD-4 demodulator in the HK is the phono input (which is also why you have the problem). You can use a preamp for matrix and stereo, then connect the turntable back through the HK phono input to do the CD-4. You can't connect a phono amp to the phono inputs on your HK cause that would just gum up the signal. It would be double phono amplification. But you can use a phono preamp, just connect the turntable to the preamp, the preamp to the SQD-2020 and the SQD-2020 to the 4-channel input on the HK. That way would cause you to have to switch around wiring when you want CD-4. So yeah, unless you want to switch the turnrntable wires from going through the HK for CD-4, and a phono pre-amp for Matrix and Stereo, I would do the JVC demodulator and don't connect anything to the phono input of the HK anymore.

No reason to hate Quad. Get a 4DD5 and you'll solve the problem. You'll still get high harmonics that falsely trigger the CD-4 radar, but you can turn them off. The SQuid-2020 isn't the problem. Although h/k makes a SUPERB amp, their Quads leave much to be desired in decoding and ease of operation. That's from a long time h/k owner and dealer.

I owned Citation for a while and loved it! I sold and recommended thousands of stereo h/k receivers, Citation and cassette decks. I still own an h/k CD-401 three head, two motor cassette deck and love it. I never sold an h/k Quad receiver! h/k often has reliability issues, which is its' Achilles' heel.

Perhaps I'm being too honest. Don't blame the messenger.

Time to spend more money. Oh boy! Thankfully, I just got a real job so it's no big deal. A $130 JVC demodulator is better than buying a working Sansui 9001.

Back