Sony TC-854-4 Quadraphonic tape deck

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMEA

I just picked up a near mint Sony TC-854-4 Quadraphonic tape deck. Anybody know where I can find (download) an OWNER'S (USER'S) MANUAL for the Sony TC-854-4 Quadraphonic tape deck?

Hi-Fi Engine.com doesn't have an Owner's Manual. I ALREADY HAVE A COPY OF THE SERVICE MANUAL!

Last edited:
I just picked up a near mint Sony TC-854-4 Quadraphonic tape deck. Anybody know where I can find (download) a User's Manual for the Sony TC-854-4 Quadraphonic tape deck?

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of the machine. Says here two erase heads, so is one of them full-track?

I'd be interested in seeing some pictures of the machine. Says here two erase heads, so is one of them full-track?

It's sort of full-track if you were to record on all four tracks at the same time in one direction only. I'll post some pics when it arrives, hopefully in one piece.

I can't believe the condition this deck is in. The heads are 99.9% new. Everything on it works the way it's supposed to including the belts. Whoever owned this deck before me either hardly ever used it or it was a display model that's been stored away for 42 years.

I was also given the two Sony reels and an original Sony cover for free cos they weren't originally part of the sale.

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

As it turns out this Sony was a display model! I emailed the seller and ask him:

Hi! The tape deck arrived yesterday in perfect condition. Thanks again for the free reels and the cover. I was just curious as to where this deck came from. Was it a display model that was stored away for 42 years or did it actually belong to someone who really took care of it and hardly ever used it cos the heads are like new?

And this is the response that I got:

It most likely never left the store. There were 3 very high-end decks stored there from the 70s and that was one of them. We could not determine for sure that this one was a demo and not sold so we did not say that it was. I think you've got about the best example that can be found. ENJOY! Best Regards, ----

Hey everyone.. as it turns out my mint Sony TC-854-4 is really a Sony TC-854-4S tape deck which makes it even more rare because there were only a few hundred or so of these made and from what I've read about the "S" model, most of these were grabbed by recording studios.

Last edited:
Sweet as sweet can be. The jealousy lamp has been lit.

Nice job

The "S" stands for "SYNCRO TRAK" which is basically the same as the SIMUL-SYNC on TEAC's A-3340S where you can synchronize the tracks when recording live instruments or vocals.

Here's a regular TC-854-4 set up

And here's a TC-854-4S

Back