Sony UBP-X800 4K/SACD/DVD-A Player: Who Has Lowest Price?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
while i'm here (apologies for brief OT Qn.) can anyone of you QQ hardware experts recommend a 4k TV (approx 50") currently in production that can handle 3D-BD?

i don't keep up with tech as much as i used to so it's old news i guess but it seems 3D's been dropped from almost all new tellies now?

Sony's ZD9 handles 3D etc.. but ideally something a bit smaller (65" is a bit big) and cheaper if possible. if not i'll raid the piggy bank and hire a cherry picker to get it in the house, it looks a beaut of a brute!

There is this one old bean, Panasonic TX-58DX802B. I don't think it'll have Dolby Vision though as they're going with HDR10+. And a bit bigger then you want. I don't know if it's any good?

You could always go for a projector as they still seem to be made with 3D capability I think? It's a shame really. Personally for value I don't think you can go wrong with the LG B7 OLED from 2017 that's still on sale... But alas no 3D...

Anyway enjoy the OPPO - lucky sod. :cool: I'm having to stick with my cheapo Sony blu ray BDP6500. It does play SACD's, and subsequently DSD files. It had no mention of that on the packaging at all. So that was a bonus!

while i'm here (apologies for brief OT Qn.) can anyone of you QQ hardware experts recommend a 4k TV (approx 50") currently in production that can handle 3D-BD?

i don't keep up with tech as much as i used to so it's old news i guess but it seems 3D's been dropped from almost all new tellies now?

Sony's ZD9 handles 3D etc.. but ideally something a bit smaller (65" is a bit big) and cheaper if possible. if not i'll raid the piggy bank and hire a cherry picker to get it in the house, it looks a beaut of a brute!

IMO if you are going to buy a TV now....it should be an OLED display...now if you HAVE to have 3D...my advice is to look around and find a 2016 LG C6P with a curved screen...now the curved screen is just a gimmick...but 3D wasn't offered on the flat screen version of that model...55 inch is the smallest version you can get(at least in the US)ā€¦..here is some info on it....and it MUST be a 2016 model..

IMO if you are going to buy a TV now....it should be an OLED display...now if you HAVE to have 3D...my advice is to look around and find a 2016 LG C6P with a curved screen...now the curved screen is just a gimmick...but 3D wasn't offered on the flat screen version of that model...55 inch is the smallest version you can get(at least in the US)ā€¦..here is some info on it....and it MUST be a 2016 model..
I have the 65ā€ model and itā€™s the best tv Iā€™ve owned. It replaced two Samsung edge-lit LEDā€™s and a Panasonic plasma beforehand. The only thing I donā€™t like on my OLED is the banding with lower quality video. My plasma had the exact same issue. Because I have quite a few 3D Movies, this may be the only tv model I have for a while.

Adam, I have the LG OLED 55C6P in my bedroom https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55C6P-oled-4k-tv

To echo Perpendicular's comments, it's the BEST TV I've ever owned. I love the curve [to me it's not a gimmick] as it renders a very cinematic effect and the 3D is TO DIE FOR certainly besting by a wide wide margin my older Panny 3D Plasma TV.

It also has HDR/Dolby Vision.

If you can still find one of these 2016 models, grab one.

For US customers, FRYS still has them in stock: https://www.frys.com/product/8726971?lk_pricespider

I'm almost tempted myself to buy one as a back~up!

Last edited:
I have the 65ā€ model and itā€™s the best tv Iā€™ve owned. It replaced two Samsung edge-lit LEDā€™s and a Panasonic plasma beforehand. The only thing I donā€™t like on my OLED is the banding with lower quality video. My plasma had the exact same issue. Because I have quite a few 3D Movies, this may be the only tv model I have for a while.

My problem with OLED is the motion handling...they are getting better...but still no match for plasma...and once you had a good plasma picture...it's hard to not see the motion problem..it's ironic..OLED is having some of the same problems that plasma did in the early years....rising black levels and panel burn in...what model Panny Plasma do you have that has banding problems?...I don't have that problem...

My problem with OLED is the motion handling...they are getting better...but still no match for plasma...and once you had a good plasma picture...it's hard to not see the motion problem..it's ironic..OLED is having some of the same problems that plasma did in the early years....rising black levels and panel burn in...what model Panny Plasma do you have that has banding problems?...I don't have that problem...
I ended up getting use to and liking the SOE. Is it perfect? Hell, no! But I do find it makes 3D Movies way more realistic.

I ended up getting use to and liking the SOE. Is it perfect? Hell, no! But I do find it makes 3D Movies way more realistic.

I really tried to like 3D...if they would have waited for the displays to improve they could have gotten rid of the glasses and then more people would have accepted it..

I really tried to like 3D...if they would have waited for the displays to improve they could have gotten rid of the glasses and then more people would have accepted it..

Clinty, the only way they'll eliminate 3D glasses is by holographically projecting the image in 3D into your viewing space. If you're used to 3D on a Plasma TV, take my advice.....there's NO comparison. The OLED, at least for NOW, perfected perfect clarity, incredible brightness levels and 99% of what I've viewed in 3D simply astonishes. Of course some of the up conversions [like Blade Runner 2049] are lackluster [even 2049's cinematographer prefers the 2D version....and I agree] and I really look forward to Spielberg's READY PLAYER ONE, while an up conversion, received a 5 star rating from blu ray.com.

I have well over 100 3D movies and there's only a handful that, IMO, are duds!

I also invested in an 'upgraded' pair of 3D glasses from Amazon and they fit very comfortably over my prescription glasses making the viewing experience that much more enjoyable. https://www.amazon.com/Better-quali...418140&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=3D+glasses&psc=1

I've noticed a few quirks (brief audio drop-outs, TV switching itself to another HDMI input) with my Sony UBP-X800 and XF90 TV but have determined that they're due to the order in which I switch things on. I have the X800 set to output video to the TV and audio to the Yamaha receiver, and the syncing/guessing that the TV does sometimes mucks things up.

The order that seems to make everything behave is:
1. TV on first. Wait ~5 seconds until the screen's on.
2. 4K player on next. Wait ~5 seconds until the screen displays the player's menu.
3. Receiver on.

Just FYI if anyone's experiencing any weirdness with similar components.

I've noticed a few quirks (brief audio drop-outs, TV switching itself to another HDMI input) with my Sony UBP-X800 and XF90 TV but have determined that they're due to the order in which I switch things on. I have the X800 set to output video to the TV and audio to the Yamaha receiver, and the syncing/guessing that the TV does sometimes mucks things up.

The order that seems to make everything behave is:
1. TV on first. Wait ~5 seconds until the screen's on.
2. 4K player on next. Wait ~5 seconds until the screen displays the player's menu.
3. Receiver on.

Just FYI if anyone's experiencing any weirdness with similar components.
I've just got a Sony KD55AF8BU OLED TV (last week) and it did a software update, now when I turn on my satellite box instead of auto switching over to that HDMI it does nothing, I have to manually switch. I have also noticed that the Android (ugh) OS is a bit sluggish.........ā€¦.and whilst I'm on a roll its infuriating at having to sign up to Privacy Notices as the TVs got Android and hence the <expletive deleted> google want to dump cookies for advertising scammers onto the TV. So I disconnected the Ethernet to it :devilish:
On the plus side the TV picture on 2K is brilliant (no 4K discs yet), and the motion software is really good, I can't see any artefacts like my old Panasonic LCD TV had.

Last edited:
I've just got a Sony KD55AF8BU OLED TV (last week) and it did a software update, now when I turn on my satellite box instead of auto switching over to that HDMI it does nothing, I have to manually switch. I have also noticed that the Android (ugh) OS is a bit sluggish.........ā€¦.and whilst I'm on a roll its infuriating at having to sign up to Privacy Notices as the TVs got Android and hence the <expletive deleted> google want to dump cookies for advertising scammers onto the TV. So I disconnected the Ethernet to it :devilish:
On the plus side the TV picture on 2K is brilliant (no 4K discs yet), and the motion software is really good, I can't see any artefacts like my old Panasonic LCD TV had.

You have my sympathies, DuncanS. Updates drive me freakin' nuts. I haven't connected my TV to the internet (no Netflix or anything, only BD and 4K from discs). One day maybe but no need for me at this stage. Glad to hear you're digging the OLED.

I use Roku boxes and get all my channels with YouTube TV for about $40 a month. Of course internet is another $60 from Xfinity, so either way they hit you for about a hundred bucks. I have a 3 year old Samsung TV and keep it off line. Why? Because TV manufacturers don't keep you from getting hacked. At least that's been my experience. Roku updates it's software often. On the other hand, Roku could go out of business sometime and why buy another box if your TV has apps. I don't know. Probably, best to read message boards before upgrading anything.

As for the Sony UBP-X800 HDR, as of now, I've seen prices around $200. I own one, but have not set it up yet. Here is a link to keep an eye on price:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Son...ved=0ahUKEwjtibaE9bHfAhW4HzQIHe-xALkQ_AUIBigA

Most appear to be like Crutchfield $199 right now. I bought TWO of these last year ($159) but returned one of them when I learned it wouldn't play my burned DVD-A discs. [but it does plays burned Blu Ray, AVCHD] A very well behaved player (I didn't really want to like it), that responds well, doesn't make me wait, returns a large amount of information (like OPPO) from the Info button if I want it. Pretty decent machine that just happens to be a Sony.

Won't play burned DVD-A, eh? I was lucky and got one for about $140 or so from Target this time last year. I don't own an Oppo. Never got around to it. But I am hoping this Sony will stream DSD from SACD - if that's how it works. Didn't own a player that does that. Otherwise, own 3 pioneers and 2 Denon DVD-A/SACD players. I thought about buying another one of these Sony's, but not sure. I hope we're still able to buy new DVD-A/SACD players in the future.

Won't play burned DVD-A, eh? I was lucky and got one for about $140 or so from Target this time last year. I don't own an Oppo. Never got around to it. But I am hoping this Sony will stream DSD from SACD - if that's how it works. Didn't own a player that does that. Otherwise, own 3 pioneers and 2 Denon DVD-A/SACD players. I thought about buying another one of these Sony's, but not sure. I hope we're still able to buy new DVD-A/SACD players in the future.
The Sony X800 will send a direct DSD stream over HDMI if you set it correctly.

By the way, is there a group of people who still want one of these? They periodically sell a batch of 5-6 refurbished units at about $100 each on liquidation dot com.

The Sony X800 doesn't play DVD-AUDIO Discs? It say it does on the side of the box (DVD VIDEO/AUDIO). I MUST have DVD-AUDIO Capability. I did return the Sony and Bought A Yamaha BD-1060 Universal Player which DOES play DVD-AUDIO according to a review I read (Even though not stated so by Yamaha.) I'll know for sure after Christmas, but these are now on a RARE SALE At AMAZON for about $375.. Better quality and better unit. (I hope ;)). Again is it true that the SONY won't play DVD-A Discs for certain?

Back