Sony UHPH1 Universal player, anyone?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To accommodate purchasers that own DVD-A without encouraging the now-retired commercial backers of DVD-A.

Ah yes that'll be it..

after all, Sony have been so accommodating to people wanting to play DVD-A's in lossless high resolution on their disc players in all the years since the SACD/DVD-A format wars ended.. and in the years since Sony all but gave up on their own format.

Surprisingly, for a supposedly DEAD format, there are still quite a few MLP DVD~As released to this day....mostly in the prog rock genre.

Indeed.. unless all those new Surround DVD-A's many of us have been buying here the last few years have just been figments of our imaginationssssss... :smokin :alienrob:

Indeed.. unless all those new Surround DVD-A's many of us have been buying here the last few years have just been figments of our imaginationssssss... :smokin :alienrob:

And lest we forget...those Emerson, Lake & Palmer DVD~As were a FIRST for SONY.......Sony founder Akio Morita is turning over in his sarcophagus :yikes

Indeed..! Quite the shocker.. ;)

Didn't Elliot S & The Foo Fighters sneak in a DVD-A DualDisc under Sony's snouts at one stage too, Ralphie..!?

I believe you're correct, Adam. I recollect that RCA was still owned by BMG when they released a handful of DVD~As (Foo Fighters, Britney Spears, the two Santanas [Arista] and then pulled the plug on DVD~As altogether. All other RCA dualdiscs were either enhanced stereo or DD 5.1 but that particular Foo Fighter's IN YOUR HONOR dualdisc (the second disc ONLY with the Dave Grohl solos was MLP DVD~A 5.1 and a SUPERB ES mix, BTW).

And except for the RCA Living Stereo SACDs, I dont believe SONY ever released any other RCA/Arista titles on SACD (correct me if I'm hazy on that one).

I used to be a Sony video freak. I still use my old CRT HD wide screen XBR TV. But, after the cluster phuc Sony pulled with SACD, I decided long ago that Sony is a whore. Will bed with anyone with cash,fight tooth and nail for a format war-then just discard it, I say fuck Sony! I am sticking with my Oppo!!!
What a douchebag!!! I hope they don't screw up Oppo!! Fuckers near killed dvd audio!! So now they see the Oppo holding it's own and see money!!! Fuck Sony!!!! :howl
Just my opinion

thanks for the info Ralph mate.. anyway, I fear we may be veering slightly off piste here.. :eek:

still, a Sony disc player that can do DVD-A.. that's gotta be good news in a way for the future of our hobby, as well as for the future of a so-called dead format :)

Ah yes that'll be it..

after all, Sony have been so accommodating to people wanting to play DVD-A's in lossless high resolution on their disc players in all the years since the SACD/DVD-A format wars ended.. and in the years since Sony all but gave up on their own format.

No doubt they were monitoring QQ also!! Hey Sony!! I got $0.50 how about a piece?

I used to be a Sony video freak. I still use my old CRT HD wide screen XBR TV. But, after the cluster phuc Sony pulled with SACD, I decided long ago that Sony is a whore. Will bed with anyone with cash,fight tooth and nail for a format war-then just discard it, I say fuck Sony! I am sticking with my Oppo!!!
What a douchebag!!! I hope they don't screw up Oppo!! Fuckers near killed dvd audio!! So now they see the Oppo holding it's own and see money!!! Fuck Sony!!!! :howl
Just my opinion

haha.. don't hold back Al baby! :D

they say "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.." and maybe Sony knew they couldn't outdo Oppo, so thought it better to keep your enemies closer and all that by joining forces.. maybe.. personally given their track record I'd rather join forces with a rottweiler but still hopefully Oppo will come out of it unscathed if/when it all goes pear-shaped.. :eek:

No doubt they were monitoring QQ also!! Hey Sony!! I got $0.50 how about a piece?

well.. if Sony are watching us here, in for a penny in for a pound:

'HOW'S ABOUT THOSE SURROUND SACDS OF THRILLER, ELECTRIFIED FUNK, SUN GODDESS, THE BYRDS' 5D & AEROSMITH'S ROCKS...??"

(yes I'm shouting.. sorry :eek: ..just to make doubly, nay, quadruply sure they get the message..! :D )

as you were :)

I saw this video and I thought of Sony watching us all at QQ..

:alienrob:

[video=youtube;teBV0EoJJY8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBV0EoJJY8[/video]

then I watched this one and I really freaked out.. :yikes

[video=youtube;Nq5vZ1I0HAU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq5vZ1I0HAU[/video]

"..'the chances of anything coming from Sony..
are a million to one', he said.."

Really? I admit my ignorance of that. BTW, what is "quite a few?"

It is really not a considerable number of DVD-A's in 2016, though there are more than my hastily thrown together list (and maybe more slated for what's left of 2016);

Anthony Phillips: 1984, Sides, Wise After The Event
Djabe:Ly-O-Lay Ale Loya, 20 Dimensions
Frank Valdor: Fantastic Golden Latin Hits
Gong: Rejoice I'm Dead
King Crimson: Beat, Three Of A Perfect Pair, On & Off The Road
Rick Wakeman: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth,
Riverside: Love Fear & The Time Machine
Rob Reed: Sanctuary II
The Pineapple Thief: Your Wilderness
White Light Orchestra: Space Rock Across The Universe
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

Thanks. I was unaware of them.

You're welcome.

The Rick Wakeman presents the vintage Quad, all the others are newly created MultiCh mixes (some are 4-channel like the Frank Valdor, almost all of the others are 5.1) some good stuff in there imho :)

Over the last 2-3 years there have been a number of new DVD-A surround music titles and a large number of those are represented at QQ by the Hi-Res Polls, which are very handy for garnering more information on the fidelity, quality of mixes on those DVD-A's, etc.

I guess that's good for DVD-A's. Are we talking 5.1 MLP here?
And for those of us who still listen in stereo (I guess that's just about everybody) what about HDCD's? I own quite few of these, many of them prized, and my sensitive ears would not want to have to listen to them in regular CD format. So to be truly universal, I think you've got to include HDCD decoding. OPPO 95's and 105's do decode them properly.

It is really not a considerable number of DVD-A's in 2016, though there are more than my hastily thrown together list (and maybe more slated for what's left of 2016);

Anthony Phillips: 1984, Sides, Wise After The Event
Djabe:Ly-O-Lay Ale Loya, 20 Dimensions
Frank Valdor: Fantastic Golden Latin Hits
Gong: Rejoice I'm Dead
King Crimson: Beat, Three Of A Perfect Pair, On & Off The Road
Rick Wakeman: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth,
Riverside: Love Fear & The Time Machine
Rob Reed: Sanctuary II
The Pineapple Thief: Your Wilderness
White Light Orchestra: Space Rock Across The Universe
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

The dvd a of long ago was far better then the newer stuff made in my opinion. But, I do like the BD productions of recent. It's MLP, 5.1, and that is good enough for me. Again, I just hope Oppo is not influenced by the Sony bull shit

I guess that's good for DVD-A's. Are we talking 5.1 MLP here?
And for those of us who still listen in stereo (I guess that's just about everybody) what about HDCD's? I own quite few of these, many of them prized, and my sensitive ears would not want to have to listen to them in regular CD format. So to be truly universal, I think you've got to include HDCD decoding. OPPO 95's and 105's do decode them properly.

So does the 83.

Back