Sony Unveils a Brand-New 3D Audio Format — Introducing ‘360 Reality Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Sony, the goal is to replicate actual live experiences using object-based spatial audio technology....huh?

What..no more ambience, reverb and audience in the rears...shocker.:eek::eek:
I just sounds like a description of Atmos/Auro/DTS-X, to me. All of them are object-oriented, 3-D formats! It's bizarre that they're trying to make this sound like a game-changer!

More than Sony's idea for this new format, what surprises me is the interest of the streaming app owners in any kind of surround sound. There's a separate thread discussing it, closed ecosystems and so forth... I really wonder what Sony did to get their attention in regards to his proposal and why they did not favour any of the existing surround technologies. Time will tell, I guess

Watch for "Kind of Blue", "Time Out", and "E. Power Biggs"................... :p

Since this a CES announcement, I'd bet more on games with 3D/Surround on headphones and sound bar-like speakers than Sony Music titles.

dims

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/08/sony-360-reality-audio-hands-on/

To quote from the article, this is all you need to know. Selling the same old music over and over again.

“Existing music that is already in multitrack sound format will be able to be converted into a 360 Reality Audio compatible format using the production tools that Sony will provide,” Sony explained.

Back