Sony Unveils a Brand-New 3D Audio Format — Introducing ‘360 Reality Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the feeling that Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 are essentially the same thing?! I’m hoping it’s less a hardware issue and more software... That might be able to be pushed through from firmware updates? That would be cool and get things moving a lot quicker... But I guess you’d still need a decoding chip in there somewhere?

As stated, it’s just as important to have a good mix at the heart of the music, utilising the technology. As apposed to the technology itself... After all, most people seem to prefer the quad mix of DSOTM to the newer 5.1 mix... :phones

I am not buying another format, period. If my vintage 4 channel receiver or my Oppo can not play it, I am through. I do not care if they finally release the track of the Beatles scratching their butts in a new immersive audio format. I need to have a working, uncomplicated (as far as quad can be at least) and enjoyable audio system that plays nice with old and new formats and equipment. Quad is already more Rube Goldberg (almost) than I can handle. New gear already has no analog options and I need that as minimum.

I went to Soungardens film release at The Wiltern in LA a few months ago in 360 surround and I thought it was horrible. A well mixed 5.1 discrete disc is far superior to all the bells and whistles they tried to impress me with.
Agreed, but add 2 celing speakers and it is even better.

5.1.2 is ideal IMO, no need for 7.1.

Back