Speaking of CDs: Do you remember your first?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first cd was Moody Blues "The Present". I bought if from "musicland" and if I remember correctly, the majority of their cds for sale were originally packaged in long boxes which was a theft deterrent. Sadly, I tore up all of my long boxes getting the cd's out and I haven't seen one since those early days. If any one here has one, I would love to see a picture with the cd inside just for fun. I did keep long boxes that came with pre recorded digital audio tapes that I bought on ebay in the 90's (cinemagic and glenn miller). Like many of you, I bought my first cd before I could afford the player, which was a Yamaha cdx2 (or cd 2). This was a 2nd gen player and set me back $599. It gave up the ghost a long time ago. I don't remember my first record or cassette but I'll never forget my first cd. Must be because of all the hype leading up to their introduction and upon hearing demos in the hi fi shops of Abbas "Super Trooper", the Dire Straits "Telegraph Road" and "Tricycle" from the Film and the bb's cd. Shift forward to todays date: My cd collection is growing by leaps and bounds from folks that are practically giving cds away. In the last week I grabbed Shania Twain's "UP" surround sacd for $2 and many other incredible cds for .99 which are just too numerous to mention. I did however have to pay $3 for an original Pink Floyd "The Wall" where the dynamic range of the first song made me jump out of my chair when the bass and drums kicked in.

Last edited:
Great choices, Wiz! I was just listening to Dolby's Wireless earlier this week (for some reason it sounds best to me around this time of year). What a great example of well-crafted '80s pop music, and certainly near the top of my wish list for a surround mix!

Back