Speaking of CDs: Do you remember your first?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very few choices for sale where I bought my first CD player, a Kyocera. Definitely the first kid on the block with one. People blown away with music from a laser, and of course the high quality sound without crackle and pops. Went with Kenny Loggins High Adventure.

"Don't Fight It" alone is worth the price of the disc. (y)

Pretty sure it was Hendrix at Winterland. I remember a big write up about the digital headroom making it all possible. Vinyl would never work for this and whathaveyou.
(It was released on vinyl some months later which sounded better BTW... At least that's what I think I remember. Might have to pull those out again and have a listen.)

2nd one might have been Genesis Foxtrot. (Would have been early generation late '80s. So not the best ADC work but free of the volume war and ear bleeding treble boosts to come.) The original vinyl for these was challenged with long playing times and a required narrower groove cutting. That CD might have actually revealed things! Until the Classic Records remasters (vinyl) came out a decade or so later anyway.

And I remember a roommate picking up Pink Floyd Meddle on CD. Sounded tinny, anemic, and just bad next to the vinyl!

Those were confusing times! My vinyl rig was decently above average but not top of the line. Early ADC's in CD players were what they were. Some CD's sounded better and some vinyl sounded better. So many variables at play...

I think it was the 2 disc "Supertramp - Paris" album, I remember buying in 1986 - but discogs says it came out in 1987? I could be wrong.

Anyways, it sounded great, I loved to be able to play very loud, without the "rumble" problem from the turntable. I had a pair of Jamo speakers, each with a 15" woofer.

I always looked after my LPs really carefully, and I put one on one Saturday and it was full of crackles and pops, and then jumped (can't remember what it was!), so somewhat irritated I went down the road, literally, and bought a Pioneer CD player (only 12-bits accurate I think) so that was 1984. Then I discovered I couldn't get any CDs in the town, but discovered that they had some in another about 15 miles away. So I vividly remember that my first 2 CDs were Sade's "Diamond Life" and Camel's "Stationary Traveller". There is a bit on the Sade album where everything stops and there is a beat or two of silence before it restarts, I played that bit over and over I couldn't believe there was no groove break-through :geek:

Haitink.jpg

Last edited:
Back