Speaking of CDs: Do you remember your first?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember I bought 4 CDs at once, before I had a player. I can't remember them all, but I do remember one was "Sweet Baby James", a Target WB CD, and I'm pretty sure one of the others was Elton John "Breaking Hearts" (pretty safe stuff, eh?) I don't remember the other two, but I do remember in the store was an Abbey Road Toshiba for $28, and I said "I'm not spending $28 on a CD I can't play".

Oooops! :eek:

Moody Blues "The Present" in a long box from musicland. The CD was in an anti -theft plastic frame which had to be removed by the clerk. I was eager to hear CD's because of the hype and because the artwork said something like "cds resolution could reveal flaws of the master tape". I was sure I would be listening to 1st generation copies of master tapes for the rest of my life with cds (yea, right). I didn't have a player at that time, but this CD was so cool looking, I just had to have it. I was waiting until I could choose the "right" player, which turned out to be a Yamaha 2nd generation unit (CD X2?) for $600. I was into Yamaha stuff at the time and had a CA-1000 integrated amp that was their TOTL. I guess I'm a little strange, because I bought my first DVD before I had a DVD player also.

I think my brother may have given me a MFSL disc earlier, but pretty sure my first purchase was Jefferson Airplane's 2400 Fulton Street anthology 2 disc set in 1987....also the Beatles White Album at that same period.

If you like that compilation, try JEFFERSON AIRPLANE LOVES YOU, a 3 CD box set with a cool (but basically unreadable because of the psychedelic backgrounds to the text) booklet. Among the varied off-the-wall stuff (Grace Slick singing a Frank Zappa composition!) are the alternative quad mixes of several tunes from VOLUNTEERS -- in stereo! One day those JA quads will be released. . . .

It's OOP but you can get a secondhand box relatively cheaply. I took mine backstage to a Jefferson Starship: The Next Generation version of the band and had Paul, Jack, and Papa John sign it, then got Jorma at a Hot Tuna show later 8'). Already had Grace and Marty from elsewhere, but was too intimidated to ask them again for the box when the occasions arose, sigh.

In February 1985 I ordered the first Pioneer combination Laserdisc/CD player and over the next several days while waiting for the store to get one in I bought Pink Floyd's "Meddle", "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here", all Japanese black label pressings. Also got the Talking Heads "Remain in Light". Might have been one or two others by the time I actually got the player, but those are the ones that really stick in my head.

The DSOTM is notable for how it handled the mystery music at the end: It's not there because someone doubled and fake stereoed the channel that doesn't have it!

If you like that compilation, try JEFFERSON AIRPLANE LOVES YOU, a 3 CD box set with a cool (but basically unreadable because of the psychedelic backgrounds to the text) booklet. Among the varied off-the-wall stuff (Grace Slick singing a Frank Zappa composition!) are the alternative quad mixes of several tunes from VOLUNTEERS -- in stereo! One day those JA quads will be released. . . .

It's OOP but you can get a secondhand box relatively cheaply. I took mine backstage to a Jefferson Starship: The Next Generation version of the band and had Paul, Jack, and Papa John sign it, then got Jorma at a Hot Tuna show later 8'). Already had Grace and Marty from elsewhere, but was too intimidated to ask them again for the box when the occasions arose, sigh.
I know; it's DOWNLOADED on my Amazon Music; sounds pretty good; not 5.1, but hey I can listen through Etymotic Research ER4XR's; most natural sound around; LOVE the Airplane, & Tuna

Wow. Strangely enough--even though I'd been hungrily following the development of digital recording and the advent of the CD for years in all the hi-fi magazines...I don't!

But I still remember my first 45 rpm single: "Precious and Few," by Climax, on Bell Records. (My second: "TSOP," by MFSB.)

As for LPs: I wanted to get Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill, but my mother was scandalized by the cover. So I bought Chicago Transit Authority instead--not a bad second choice, as it turned out. (And I eventually sneaked the Steely Dan into my collection anyway.)

Two weeks later: FWIW, I think I've figured it out. Pretty sure it was 1987 before I could afford a CD player--a Denon (I don't remember what model it was, but it was a good 20 years before it crapped out!)--or CDs. And I think the first brand-new disc I brought home must have been Tom Waits, Frank's Wild Years. After that, I relied on Columbia House to build up my collection...

October 1986. Bought first cd player. Went out and got Dark Side Of The Moon and Eric Clapton's 461 Ocean Blvd. Still two of my favorites. At the time the music store had one fairly small section of cds among all the vinyl.

Yea I remember my first CD, I went out to the Arndale Centre in Luton to Dixons and got a Fisher CD player like the one below, then went and bought my first CD which was Boys and Girls by Bryan Ferry, a 1985 release, I still have it and it still plays. The CD player I no longer have though.

My mate already had a Marantz CD player.

Sorta related: I was up late last night working on my laptop for work, and I had Jimmy Kimmel on just for company. One of his guests was Lenny Kravitz's daughter, Zoë Kravitz. I honestly didn't pay that much attention to why she was there or what she was promoting, but my ears perked up when she started talking about how she knew Prince, and one time he drove her home from an event of some sort. Anyway, she was telling Jimmy that he played her some unreleased music he was working on. What struck me was that she said something like "It was back in the old days when we used CDs. He had it on CD, that's how long ago it was", or something to that affect.

Wow. That really struck a chord. CDs are really considered archaic to the new generation. Now I feel even older! :(

I got a CD player one Christmas, when I was in high school. 1st CD was a present too, Rush - Moving Pictures

The next day, I went out and bought 2 more, Tangerine Dream - Tangram, and Kraftwerk - Computer World. Still own all 3. Even still have the Kraftwerk long box as well

I was going to college in a small town (pop. 10,000) when CDs first came out. There was a indie hole-in-the-wall record store that got in a handful of CDs, which they displayed in a glass case under the register. I didn't have a player but I was scared that any title on CD might not be repressed when it sold out. I bought in relatively quick succession "And Then There Were Three" by Genesis, and "Crises" and "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield. Of these three, I only still have "Crisis." It was actually amazing that there were three titles I even wanted out of the meager selection available.

'83 I got a Sony CDP-101. It replaced a Sony TV that State Farm ate, thanks to lightning.

There had been many expensive trips for Quad and LP's. This was where all the CD binges began.

I bought 44 CD's that day and I had every title I wanted:
Japan CD:
Abbey Road - Beatles
Dark Side - some dude named Pink
Let's Dance - Bowie
Born to Run - Springsteen
52nd St - Billy Joel
Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
Orff: Carmina Burana - Shaw
Gershwin: Rhapsody - Bernstein
Tchaikowski: 1812 - Shaw
Mussorgsky: Pictures - Maazel