SQ Decoding with Adobe Audition for New Converters - Start Here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The AA 2.0 script I changed will not copy and paste properly here.

So for now, download the script posted here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=46256&postcount=147

Create a folder on your "C" drive called: SQ Data

Using "Notepad" make the follwing changes to this script:

Change the referances to "I" drive to "C" drive for instance:

I:\SQ Data\temp.wav
To:
C:\SQ Data\temp.wav

If you are using 44.1 kHz wav files change line:

Selected: 0 to 518400000 SR 96000
To:
Selected: 0 to 518400000 SR 44100

If you're using 96 kHz files DO NOT change this line.

Adobe Audition 2.0 simple instructions:
Start Audition, and open the WAV file to convert. File> Import

Next: Edit menu> Convert Sample Type> 32 bits
If the source is already 24 or 32 bits, skip this step.

Next: Effects menu> Amplitude> Amplify/Fade> -3dB Cut

Next: Save converted wav 3 times in the "SQ Data" folder you created on your "C" drive as follows:
front.wav
rear.wav
temp.wav

Next close all open files. Run the script you changed above. In "Edit View" go to Edit > scripts then click "Open/New Collection" button and choose the proper script from the Adobe Audition scripts folder. Click on the script name next to the "Run Script" button (it's on the left of the "grayed out" "Run Script" button). Then the "Run Script" button will turn on and work when you click on it.

After the script is done use the "Multichannel Encoder" like you do for AA 1.5.
The "Multichannel Encoder" is called "Surround Encoder" in AA 2.0. In "Multitrack View" go to: Veiw> Surround Encoder.

Last edited:
After the script is complete, you'll need to raise front.wav by +3dB.

After decoding a bunch of SQ albums in the last few months, for some reason, I decided to decode the SQ test tones that someone had posted a while back (http://www.grizwald.plus.com/quad/). And what I discovered was that not only did I need to raise the fronts by 3db after decoding, but I need to cut the rears by 3db as well in order for all the test tone levels to match. Is this the same result that you all get when you decode the tones?

I guess for those conversions that I've already made, I can just adjust the rear level with my amplifier. I hadn't really noticed the rears sounding too loud before, but I think that that is because I've been enthralled with sound coming from behind me.

J. D.

Hello J. D.
I've had the worst time with volume levels. The SQ tones did not decode properly for me, but my SQ audio CDs did. Depending on which script you use, the rears we're way too loud for me as well. I wish there was a "One Size Fits All" approach, but I never found it.

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way you must use the "Multichannel Encoder" window and hit the "Play All" button and adjust the volume for front and rears separately by hearing them. If you can't hear them you can see all 4 levels in "Multichannel Encoder" mode and that works. I have multichannel speakers on the computer, but for the first 20 days of doing this I wasn't using my sound card or the "Multichannel Encoder" for volume control. I was wondering where the slight distortion came from. Now I'm redoing them. Also, record at 24 bit/96 kHz even if doing DTS-CD, and save your sessions - something I did not always do.

Also, there are many different scripts for AA 1.5 which brings up another issue. Which one to use? Check the next post. It has alternative SQ & QS scripts in the zip file.

When it's done right it's spooky to hear the channels decoded so well.

Last edited:
Scripts for Adobe Audition 1.5:

SQdecoding_7_AK & QS_01

The scripts are for recordings at 96 kHz. For recordings at 44.1 kHz
Using "Notepad" change line:
Selected: 0 to 518400000 SR 96000
To:
Selected: 0 to 518400000 SR 44100
Only if you must, otherwise record at 24 bit/96 kHz

Also, with the QS script the "I" drive must be changed to "C" drive for instance:
I:\QS\LF Rs.wav
To:
C:\QS\LF Rs.wav

And the SQ script needs to be changed from:
h:\SQ\front.wav
To:
c:\SQ\front.wav

I'll try to post step by step directions later on.

J. D. says Not to use the QS script, but that SQ script is ok. Read his post at Post #27:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61682&postcount=27

Attachments

• SQdecoding_7_AK.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
....After the script is done use the "Multichannel Encoder" like you do for AA 1.5.
The "Multichannel Encoder" is called "Surround Encoder" in AA 2.0. In "Multitrack View" go to: Veiw> Surround Encoder.

OK I am in 2.0 , and another silly question arose...In Multitrack view/Surround encoder/...
Which Track options/Panning assignment?
Surround panner stereo source?
L+R, stereo?
Ls+Rs, stereo?

Sorry for being such a pain in the derriere...
I guess I have a lot of stuff in Virgo, even though I'm a Leo... :smokin

Thanks a lot Old Quad!!! I think I may be older than you anyway...

Good news , the PC has started churning away the conversion; I will let you know tomorrow the outcome of this bat-drama...:D

Thanks, guys...

Scripts for Adobe Audition 1.5:

SQdecoding_7_AK & QS_01

I would avoid using the QS_01 script. I ran it on the QS test tones, and there were a few issues. The biggest one is that the front center tone was split between front left and rear right, rather than front right. The inverse was true for the rear center tone. Also, the tones that should have provided front right and rear right decoded inversely.

The "new improved QS script" that is found in https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=47522&postcount=96
basically works, except that corner channels each have a little bleed on the other side (i.e. - the front left tone decodes with the front left channel at -3 db and the front right channel at -10 db). Interestingly, the QS_01 script did not have this problem.

All of the SQ scripts (the two for 1.5 and the one for 2.0) decode essentially the same, though the first 1.5 script in this thread needs the fronts to be raised 3 db and the others don't. Also, on my computer, the 41.8 second test tone file takes about 3:30 to decode with the 1.5 scripts and 4:40 to decode with the 2.0 script.

J. D.

OK I am in 2.0 , and another silly question arose...In Multitrack view/Surround encoder/...
Which Track options/Panning assignment?
Surround panner stereo source?
L+R, stereo?
Ls+Rs, stereo?

No, it's ok, your questions help make the instructions better. I've added to these steps:

After the script is complete, you'll need to put front.wav and rear.wav onto separate tracks (Tracks 1 and 2). Switch to "Multitrack View" and click on front.wav - then click on the "Insert Into Multitrack" button. Repeat this step for the rear.wav file and you should have both files onto separate tracks. The front.wav track should be in "Track 1" and the rear.wav should be in "Track 2."

Next we need to give Tracks 1 and 2 the proper panning assignment. In "Multitrack View" go to View > Multichannel Encoder. Click on "Track 1" and select "FL+ FR, Stereo" from the "Panning Assignment" drop down menu. Next click on "Track 2" and select "Ls+ Rs, Stereo" from the "Panning Assignment" drop down menu.

To be clear, in the "Multichannel Encoder" window what each track should be:
front.wav should be on Track 1 and the "Panning Assignment" should be: FL+ FR, Stereo.
rear.wav should be on Track 2 and the "Panning Assignment" should be: Ls+ Rs, Stereo.

Let me know if this makes it clear. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would avoid using the QS_01 script. I ran it on the QS test tones, and there were a few issues. The biggest one is that the front center tone was split between front left and rear right, rather than front right. The inverse was true for the rear center tone. Also, the tones that should have provided front right and rear right decoded inversely.

The "new improved QS script" that is found in https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=47522&postcount=96
basically works, except that corner channels each have a little bleed on the other side (i.e. - the front left tone decodes with the front left channel at -3 db and the front right channel at -10 db). Interestingly, the QS_01 script did not have this problem.

All of the SQ scripts (the two for 1.5 and the one for 2.0) decode essentially the same, though the first 1.5 script in this thread needs the fronts to be raised 3 db and the others don't. Also, on my computer, the 41.8 second test tone file takes about 3:30 to decode with the 1.5 scripts and 4:40 to decode with the 2.0 script.

J. D.

Thanks J. D. for the information. I linked your post at the zip file at Post #24:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61667&postcount=24

No, it's ok, your questions help make the instructions better...... Let me know if this makes it clear. Thanks.

1st of all , thanks a lot for your help Ole' quad guy, I really appreciate it , if you ever come through Madrid, lemme know , we'll do a "Cultural Tour":friday:
, hehehe...

Anyways I always thought that the dumbest question is the one not asked...hmmm waxing philosophical this early ...

YES , IT DECODED IT CORRECTLY!!!

Cocolo, cocolo!!!
\
:banana:

Now, a few more steps I found out, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong;
Save the files after "Your pizza...ehem, your Script is ready!"(in this case it's "Santana Caravanserai A Front-and rear- SQed") and trashed the temp file.

- I followed your instructions for the Multitrack view; Track 1-Front, Tr. 2-Rear and went to View/Surround encoder/on the "track list" , and on the left, MAKE SURE you check only "Track one", and a lovely diagram with a "V" in the surround panner in the center that shows you where it's going in the Track Options /Tracking assignment on the right ; L + R, stereo .

-for the REAR, you check only Track 2 and , as per instructions, select Ls + Rs, Stereo"

-for the "Master" check box under the Track 1 and Tr. 2 on the left - I LEFT IT UNCHECKED, because ,when I selected it, it gave me what I believe is the sum of both in a Waveform in the middle

-click Export , in which a large dialog appears in which you name the files and choose the folder, etc.
AND
Choose "Export as six individual mono wave files"
with Format options "Windows PCM waveform audio - 32 bit, normalized float (type 3)"

-Click OK

et, voila...

Now , 2 Questions (for now):

1-Can you trash the xxxx_C.wav and xxx_LFE.wav files or are thay needed for DVD authoring even though they are -theoretically- blank?

2-After you have the files, -do you just go to the "Surcode DTS" program or "Discweldwer" and with that you can burn the disc?

3- Can I have fries with that??? .....

Thanks for the invite to Madrid. It's 3:18 AM in the morning in California here now.

You we're correct to uncheck the "Master" track - do not use it, only Track 1 fronts and Track 2 rears need to be checked at the same time. For "Surcode DTS" you need to export with "Windows PCM waveform audio - 16 bit" option and you can throw away the C.wav and LFE.wav. Surcode requires that the Mono wav's sample rate be 16 bit/44.1 kHz before encoding. You can import the individual Mono wav files and do a sample rate conversion if necessary.

Before throwing away the 4 remaining mono wav's make sure the "Surcode DTS" program worked right. Sometimes one has to redo the encoding. You can then take the encoded wav's and burn like a normal Audio CD. Don't forget to save your sessions so you can readjust the volume balance later or make a DVD-A if you recorded at 24 bit/96 kHz.

I record whole record sides at one time and add the track numbers using "Roxio's Sound editor." It allows one to add track chapters in the proper place (being able to keep the original track spaces between songs from the record) and burn as an Audio CD. But any Audio CD burning program should work with the DTS encoded wav's. Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
These Are The Older Alternative Instructions for Adobe Audion 1.5

For New Instructions please refer to Post #1 here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=59968&postcount=1

This thread is for new converters to help them search the 8 pages of thread from: PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4633&highlight=adobe

Thanks to Andreas Bergbauer for discovering how to make Adobe Audition convert SQ into four discrete Channels and QUADradial and the many unsung heroes who perfected the system. Thanks to all who worked so hard creating this fantastic system to further the advancement of Quadraphonic Sound. And to Adobe for Adobe Audition.

This Page will change from time to time as new information is added.
It's not hard to do this, so give it a try!
If you have any helpful information, please post to this thread.
Your Questions and comments are always welcome. Thanks.

These instructions are for SQ recordings at 44.1 kHz using Adobe Audion 1.5.
For DVD-Audio the settings in the script needs to be changed in line:
Selected: 0 to 156262176 SR 44100
To:
Selected: 0 to 156262176 SR 96000

For Adobe Audion 1.5

I highly recommend recording at 24 bit / 96 kHz even if all you plan to do is DTS-CD. At the end of this process your 4 Mono Wav's can be converted from 24 bit/96 kHz to 16 bit/44.1 kHz for DTS encoding. You'll be able to come back later to your saved decoded session files and produce a DVD-Audio disc.

You must first record or take from your SQ encoded audio CDs your Wav files and put them in a folder titled "sq" on your C drive and follow these instructions:

Place the SQ encoded wave file in c:\sq folder.
In "Multitrack View" open file in Adobe Audition -
File > Import. Next switch "Edit View."

If you wish to remove clicks from your record click Effects > Noise Reduction > Auto Click/Pop Eliminator. You should skip this step if your source sounds clean.

Next convert file to 32-bit - File > Convert Sample type and click on 32 bit Resolution.
(If you recorded your SQ record at 32 bit you may skip this step.)

Now we must normalize at -6dB Edit > Group Waveform Normalize and click tab 3 Normalize. Check "Normalize to a level of" and put -6 in the box. Click "Run Normalize."

Next save file as "front.wav" in folder c:\sq
File > Save As...
Save file again as "rear.wav" in folder c:\sq
File > Save As...
Next close all files - File > Close All

Run the script at post #18: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61228&postcount=18
An alternative script is at post #15 in this thread. (Please read posts 15-18)

And post #24 has more SQ / QS scripts: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61667&postcount=24 Which work differantly than the instructions found here.

To create script copy the entire script into Notepad, and save it as "SQdecoding.scp" (without the .txt) into:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Audition 1.5\Scripts

In "Edit View" go to Options > scripts then click "Open/New Collection" button and choose the "SQdecoding.scp" from the Adobe Audition scripts folder. Click on "SQdecoding" next to the "Run Script" button (it's on the left of the "grayed out" "Run Script" button). Then the "Run Script" button will turn on and work when you click it.

After the script is complete, you'll need to put front.wav and rear.wav onto separate tracks (Tracks 1 and 2). Switch to "Multitrack View" and click on front.wav - then click on the "Insert Into Multitrack" button. Repeat this step for the rear.wav file and you should have both files onto separate tracks. The front.wav track should be in "Track 1" and the rear.wav should be in "Track 2."

Next raise front.wav by +3dB. Click on front.wav Wav file in "Multitrack View" then go to Edit > Adjust Audio Clip Volume" and raise the volume to +3. Close volume slider window.

Next we need to give Tracks 1 and 2 the proper panning assignment. In "Multitrack View" go to View > Multichannel Encoder. Click on "Track 1" and select "FL+ FR, Stereo" from the "Panning Assignment" drop down menu. Next click on "Track 2" and select "Ls+ Rs, Stereo" from the "Panning Assignment" drop down menu.

To be clear, in the "Multichannel Encoder" window what each track should be:
front.wav should be on Track 1 and the "Panning Assignment" should be: FL+ FR, Stereo
rear.wav should be on Track 2 and the "Panning Assignment" should be: Ls+ Rs, Stereo.

Most Important! Before clicking on the "Export" button to export as 4 separate Mono Wav's check your volume levels in the "Multichannel Encoder" window. Click on the "Play All" button and watch the color volume meters. Your levels should not go into the red, if they do they're too high - lower them or you will have distortion in your final mono wav files. Click on "Track 1" (FL+ FR, Stereo) and adjust the front volume levels. Next click on "Track 2" (Ls+ Rs, Stereo) and adjust the rear volume levels.

Your results will very, but in general make sure all levels are even and not hitting red.
I've had to adjust my levels down using the volume slider for each track ("Track 1" FL+ FR and "Track 2" Ls+ Rs) from 100% to somewhere between 50% - 60%. Again, your results will very.

Click on the "Export" button and choose the "Export as six individual mone wav files" option. Be sure to name your files then click the "OK" button.

Your files are now ready for encoding. You can throw away the Center channel and LFE channel as there is nothing on them. I highly recommend saving the entire session so you can go back and readjust the volume levels of the Front and Back channels. In "Multitrack View" go to File > Save Session and title your project (be sure to check the box "Save copies of all associated files") and hit the "Save" button.

You will get 2 more "Do You Want To Save" pop-up's, but you need only save (with another name) if you have not already saved the original recording session or files.

My notes:
The goal here I believe, is to try to make the disc sound as close as possible to the original master source tape - with nothing added or subtracted. The same thing coming out of your speakers as what came out of the speakers in the original mixing room the day it was originally mixed. Less is more. Also, do not put anything in the Center or LFE channels for preservation sake and to keep the mixes as originally intended. 4.0 mixes and 5.1 mixes are similar but separate animals that provide different "air" and feel in the listening environment IMHO.

For QS decoding, links to Adobe Audiion 2.0 Script, SQ and QS test tones:

For a QS Script for Adobe Audition 1.5 go to post 96 here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=47522&postcount=96
This comes from the Thread:
Finally I decoded QS recordings with Adobe Audition
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5135

For Adobe Audition 2.0 Script and Instructions:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=61601&postcount=21

For Adobe Audition 2.0 tryout version:
http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/

For SQ test tones:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31404&postcount=86

For QS test tones:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31488&postcount=94

Again Much thanks to all who worked so hard bringing this fantastic system to further the advancement of Quadraphonic Sound. And Adobe for Adobe Audition.

This Post will change from time to time as new information is added.
If you have any helpful information, please post to this thread.
Your Questions and comments are always welcome.
Please let me know me know if I can make this post better. Thanks.

The Above Are The Older Alternative Instructions for Adobe Audion 1.5

For New Instructions please refer to Post #1 here:

Last edited:
Hi Old Quad Guy and others......

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

When this idea first came out on this forum I bought AA 1.5 (actually I bought it as part of the Adobe Video Collection Suite with Premiere 1.5) just to see how it worked, but always got an empty silent Rear.WAV file no matter what I tried. Frustrated I put it away.

I just got a FirePod http://www.presonus.com/fp10.html and looked to see if there were any Idiot proof instructions for me and I found them here. I COULD NOT BELIEVE how well these scripts work. I could have sworn they were discrete recordings. I compared the result with a 8-track Quad recording and the 4-channel separation seem virtually the same. And so quiet.....the pop and clicks plug-in that comes with AA 1.5 is much better than the ones I used with Sound Forge.

Thanks guys, my hats off to you! I'm in heaven. Now to work on those 200+ SQ and QS LPs I have waiting.:banana:

Ed

Hello Ed,
We all owe the script writers much thanks for their hard work and those who discovered and perfected this system. It is my understanding that work is still being conducted to learn more about the elusive animal SQ and QS, to see what might be added to the scripts. AA 3.0 should be interesting. We have the Tate that offers amazing decoding results. It is interesting learning more about the ghost in this machine and the many other decoders and decoding methods and how they all work. It would be great if there was a way to measure exactly how much db of separation we are getting from all the various decoding methods. For now, I use the scripts at post # 1 and these are the best methods I've found so far. If anyone has any advanced methods, comments or suggestions feel free to post.

Use the instructions at post # 1 as this post is meant to stay currant and easy to find:

They're different than the old instructions at post # 32.
From post # 1:

Now we must do a 3 dB Cut. In "Edit View" Effects > Amplitude> Amplify/Fade and click on 3 dB Cut (70.79 %) in the "Constant Amplification" tab. Click the "OK" button. Be sure the "Lock Left/Right" option is checked otherwise you will only change one channel!

Next save file as "front.wav" in folder c:\sq
File > Save As...
Save file again as "rear.wav" in folder c:\sq
File > Save As...
Save file again as "temp.wav" in folder c:\sq
File > Save As...
Next close all files - File > Close All

These are almost the same steps you use with Adobe Audition 2.0. Make sure you're using the scripts posted at post # 1 when using the above directions.

Wavepurity Volume Instructions

No matter what script you use - even when working on the same record - the volumes can be very different. To solve that problem I recommend Wavepurity to "Find volume scale" 95%. This restores the Quad sound field dramatically. Also, skip the cleaning methods in Adobe Audition (you need not do this) and use Wavepurity to clean the recording after decoding.

http://www.difitec.de/wavepurity/eng/index.htm

After decoding with Adobe Audition without any cleaning, open Wavepurity and open the "Track Processor Wizard." Tools > Track Processor Wizard.

A window will open and click on button 3 "Process a list of single tracks which are already available as single wave files." The "Track Processor" window will open.

In the "Track Processor" window click on the "Add files" button and add your mono wave files. You can clean at least 10 files or a bit more at one time.

Next click on the "Overwrite files" from the "Output mode" buttons. Or from the "Output mode" buttons you may instead choose "Create new track files" if you wish to keep your old files as is and still have new cleaned files. Click the "Next" button.

Next highlight the "FFT Noise Reduction" filter and click on the trash icon (Remove Filter from List) to remove this filter. Repeat this step with "Rumbling Filter" to remove this filter also. This will leave just: "Remove clicks and crackles" which we want to use. If you want, try experimenting with the filters that were removed. Make sure that "Maintain Stereo Volume Ratio" is Not selected as your files are mono. Click on "Find volume scale" 95%, make sure it is selected. Very important. Click the "Next" button to move on.

If you like where your files are, or new files will be sent to, Click the "Next" button again.

Click the "Next" button. Click the "Next" button yet again and a window will pop up asking if you want to save your settings. I usually hit the "No" button.

Click the "Next" button again and you should finally be at the "Start" button. Click start when you are ready. If you are overwriting files a Window will ask you if you really want to overwrite files, click yes and the filter starts. You do not get this window when creating new files. Click the "Show Filter" button if you wish to see the files being cleaned in real time.

After your files are cleaned you may close the session or Wavepurity altogether and add your files to your DVD-Audio or DTS-CD program.

itunes Batch Processor 24 bit / 96 kHz to 16 bit / 44.1 kHz Instructions

If you record at DVD-Audio rates (Highly Recommended) and want to create DTS-CD's at 16 bit / 44.1 kHz from your many mono waves recorded at 24 bit / 96 kHz, a great free batch processor is Apple's itunes" http://www.apple.com/itunes/

To use this program add the files to the itunes window and highlight all the files in the window with: Edit > Select All.

You need to make sure your settings are set-up proper. Go to Edit > Preferences and the Preferences window will open. Next select the "Advanced" button, then click on the "Importing" Button. Make sure the "Importing Using" drop down menu is set to "WAV Encoder." Select "Custom" next to the "Setting" drop down menu and another window will open. Your settings should be set as follows:

Sample Rare: 44.100 kHz
Sample Size: 16-bit
Channels: Mono

Hit the "OK" button and you should see in the Details box:
44.100 kHz, 16-bit Mono
Hit the "OK" button again.

Go to "Advanced" in the main itunes menu and select "Convert Selection to WAV."
Advanced > Convert Selection to WAV. Make sure all the files are still highlighted in the main itunes window. If not select: Edit > Select All. You should now have an extra set of mono wavs at 16 bit / 44.1 kHz for DTS-CD creation. You can also use itunes to convert stereo files. Make sure your settings are set to "Stereo" in itunes.

Notes:
If the record is under 40 minutes long, I also add the "Stereo SQ" WAV files either after or before the Quadraphonic DTS WAV files so one has both to listen to. Otherwise I'll add them to a seperate CD. I also try to add the "Stereo SQ" 24 bit / 96 kHz to DVD-Audio discs if there is enough room, if not I'll make a DVD-A for SQ listening. That way one has the best of both worlds, the best Quadraphonic decoding from computer power and high quality SQ Stereo to play through decoder boxes.

Last edited:
Yo, fellow QuadHeads-especially Old Quad Guy!!!

I got another small step which may be of help (and maybe added to the conversion process);

Add 2-3 seconds of silence in the beginning of each track (before the music starts).

I have noticed that in the dts encoded cds ( I use the Surcode program), the beggining is chopped off for a couple of seconds and adding the extra seconds solves the problem.

I'm a VERY HAPPY clam :smokin now that I got my Quad system going and it sounds unbelievable!
Especially the Santana III SQ LP conversion I did (dang, I'm good :) ), where I cleaned up all the "ca-cas"- it really doesn't sound like an LP...

Saludos from Magerit,

G

Hello sq10.

I’m glad you’re having fun with great results.

Actually, on DTS-CDs I do add between 2 -3 seconds before the first track on sides 1 and 2. The few seconds in front of side 1 allows your amp to kick into DTS mode without losing any music. Otherwise for the rest of the tracks I try to leave the exact silent space that is originally on the record as I personally feel that is also part of the performance and Quadraphonic preservation.

I record my SQ records one complete side at a time. I then edit each song right up to a few milliseconds up to the beginning of the next track. In this way when you fast forward to the next song it goes to the beginning of the next track. But when playing the whole record through it keeps the exact silence space of what the record intended.

Another way would be to not edit the tracks and put in “cue points” in a CD burning application that allows you to do so. But I've found it easier just to edit each track as described above.

Again, if there's enough room on the CD I also try to put the Stereo SQ songs at the end (or beginning if you prefer) of the DTS decoded Quad files. This allows one to play the SQ Stereo songs through a vintage Quad decoder for another type of experience. Or you can just play the tracks in Stereo like an audio CD.

I burn the CD without any time between songs (0 seconds) except for the necessary 2 seconds required at the first track in order for the CD burner program to work.

Thanks for all the info everyone, especially Old Quad Guy!

I've been buying SQ lps from ebay and playing them thru pro-logic II music, but I feel I could have a better result! I'm definately trying the script in Audition. Hope everything goes smoothly!

I'm a newbie here. I was pointed to the forum by a guy who decoded an SQ broadcast. Looks like I'm in the right place for a few questions.

Has anyone tried to do an SQ to DTS or Dolby Digital conversion using Sony Sound Forge or Vegas? I have both of these packages and would like to use them. Some of the terminology in the instructions looks like Audition's version of things Sound Forge does, but I'm not sure I'm mapping them correctly.

It appears the most important part of the conversion is the phase shifting of the rear channels. I don't see any functions in Sound Forge that will do anything other than a 180 degree phase flip on one or two channels of a waveform. Any ideas?

It appears the most important part of the conversion is the phase shifting of the rear channels. I don't see any functions in Sound Forge that will do anything other than a 180 degree phase flip on one or two channels of a waveform. Any ideas?

The other problem is that, currently, only Adobe Audition has the center channel extractor filter necessary to decode SQ and QS recordings.

J. D.

Back