SQ Decoding with Adobe Audition for New Converters - Start Here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
New Instructions Ver. 11-15-07

This thread is for new converters to help them search the 8 pages of thread from: PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/pc-based-sq-decoding-almost-done.4633/Thanks to Andreas Bergbauer for discovering how to make Adobe Audition convert SQ into four discrete Channels and QUADradial and the many unsung heroes who perfected the system. Thanks to all who worked so hard creating this fantastic system to further the advancement of Quadraphonic Sound. And to Adobe for Adobe Audition.

This Page will change from time to time as new information is added.
Latest Change to this page was on 11-15-07.

It's not hard to do this, so give it a try!
If you have any helpful information, please post to this thread.
Your Questions and comments are always welcome. Thanks.

Before you begin you will want to read the instructions for adjusting the volume levels with Wavepurity at post # 34: SQ Decoding with Adobe Audition for New Converters - Start Here

Instructions for SQ recordings at 44.1 kHz and 96 kHz using Adobe Audion 1.5. These new instuctions are not that differant from the old one which can still be found here:

I highly recommend recording at 24 bit / 96 kHz even if all you plan to do is DTS-CD. At the end of this process your 4 Mono Wav's can be converted from 24 bit/96 kHz to 16 bit/44.1 kHz for DTS encoding. You'll be able to come back later to your saved decoded session files and produce a DVD-Audio disc.

You must first record or take from your SQ encoded audio CDs your Wav files and put them in a folder titled "sq" on your C drive and follow these instructions:

Place the SQ encoded wave file in c:\sq folder.
In "Multitrack View" open file in Adobe Audition -
File > Import. Next switch "Edit View."

If you wish to remove clicks from your record click Effects > Noise Reduction > Auto Click/Pop Eliminator. You should skip this step if your source sounds clean.

Next convert file to 32-bit - File > Convert Sample type and click on 32 bit Resolution. (If you recorded your SQ record at 32 bit you may skip this step.)

Now we must do a 3 dB Cut. In "Edit View" Effects > Amplitude> Amplify/Fade and click on 3 dB Cut in the "Constant Amplification" tab. Click the "OK" button. Be sure the "Lock Left/Right" option is checked otherwise you will only change one channel!

Next save file as "front.wav" in folder c:\sq
File > Save As...
Save file again as "rear.wav" in folder c:\sq
File > Save As...
Save file again as "temp.wav" in folder c:\sq
File > Save As...
Next close all files - File > Close All

Run the script. For 96 kHz recordings download "SQdecoding_7_AK_96kHz.zip" script at the bottom of this post.
For 44.1 kHz recordings download "SQdecoding_7_AK_44.1.zip" script at the bottom of this post.

Put the scripts in your Adobe Audition "Scripts Folder."
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Audition 1.5\Scripts

In "Edit View" go to Options > scripts then click "Open/New Collection" button and choose the script "SQdecoding_7_AK_96kHz" from the Adobe Audition scripts folder (if your recording is at 44.1 kHz choose SQdecoding_7_AK_44.1).
Click on "SQdecoding_7_AK_96kHz" next to the "Run Script" button (it's on the left of the "grayed out" "Run Script" button). Then the "Run Script" button will turn on and work when you click it.

After the script is complete, you'll need to put front.wav and rear.wav onto separate tracks (Tracks 1 and 2). Switch to "Multitrack View" and click on front.wav - then click on the "Insert Into Multitrack" button. Repeat this step for the rear.wav file and you should have both files onto separate tracks. The front.wav track should be in "Track 1" and the rear.wav should be in "Track 2."

Next we need to give Tracks 1 and 2 the proper panning assignment. In "Multitrack View" go to View > Multichannel Encoder. Click on "Track 1" and select "FL+ FR, Stereo" from the "Panning Assignment" drop down menu. Next click on "Track 2" and select "Ls+ Rs, Stereo" from the "Panning Assignment" drop down menu.

To be clear, in the "Multichannel Encoder" window what each track should be:
front.wav should be on Track 1 and the "Panning Assignment" should be: FL+ FR, Stereo
rear.wav should be on Track 2 and the "Panning Assignment" should be: Ls+ Rs, Stereo.

Most Important! Before clicking on the "Export" button to export as 4 separate Mono Wav's check your volume levels in the "Multichannel Encoder" window. Click on the "Play All" button and watch the color volume meters. Your levels should not go into the red, if they do they're too high - lower them or you will have distortion in your final mono wav files. Click on "Track 1" (FL+ FR, Stereo) and adjust the front volume levels. Next click on "Track 2" (Ls+ Rs, Stereo) and adjust the rear volume levels.

Your results will very, but in general make sure all levels are even and not hitting red.

Click on the "Export" button and choose the "Export as six individual mone wav files" option. Be sure to name your files then click the "OK" button.

Your files are now ready for encoding. You can throw away the Center channel and LFE channel as there is nothing on them. I highly recommend saving the entire session so you can go back and readjust the volume levels of the Front and Back channels. In "Multitrack View" go to File > Save Session and title your project (be sure to check the box "Save copies of all associated files") and hit the "Save" button.

You will get 2 more "Do You Want To Save" pop-up's, but you need only save (with another name) if you have not already saved the original recording session or files.

My notes:
The goal here I believe, is to try to make the disc sound as close as possible to the original master source tape - with nothing added or subtracted. The same thing coming out of your speakers as what came out of the speakers in the original mixing room the day it was originally mixed. Less is more. Also, do not put anything in the Center or LFE channels for preservation sake and to keep the mixes as originally intended. 4.0 mixes and 5.1 mixes are similar but separate animals that provide different "air" and feel in the listening environment IMHO.

For QS decoding, links to Adobe Audiion 2.0 Script, SQ and QS test tones:

For a QS Script for Adobe Audition 1.5 go to post 96 here:
Finally I decoded QS recordings with Adobe Audition
This comes from the Thread:

For Adobe Audition 2.0 Script and Instructions:
For Adobe Audition 2.0 tryout version:
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=92&platform=Windows

It comes from Adobe Audition's website:
Audio recording and editing software | Adobe Audition

For SQ test tones:
PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!

For QS test tones:
PC Based SQ DECODING - ALMOST DONE!

For more advanced record cleaning with Adobe Audition 1.5:
Restoring audio from vinyl for SQ, QS decoding
Restoring audio from vinyl for SQ, QS decoding.

Again Much thanks to all who worked so hard bringing this fantastic system to further the advancement of Quadraphonic Sound. And Adobe for Adobe Audition.

This Post will change from time to time as new information is added.
If you have any helpful information, please post to this thread.
Your Questions and comments are always welcome.
Please let me know me know if I can make this post better. Thanks.

Attachments

• SQdecoding_7_AK_44.1.zip
    942 bytes · Views: 950
  • SQdecoding_7_AK_96kHz.zip
    944 bytes · Views: 844
If they get on to this in
Iran we are in a WORLD OF PAIN
What the bloody hell is it
a VERY OLD QUAD GUY
:eek:

Soooo, I see that it's for PC folk...I guess , us Mad, ehem, I mean Mac folks(oops , what a giveaway!!:mad:@: ) there ain't none yet!
And 400€ OUCH!!!..you sure I'm not better off with Tate or an SSP-1, that is if they are making them again this century? :sun

Last edited:
It's still cool to collect a Tate or an SSP-1 as you can do real time SQ decoding with the Tate. Although I've heard that real time SQ decoding can be done now with a PC as well. This process works better than the Tate according to those who own one. I'm always amazed at the results using AA to decode. Even scratchy records can be cleaned up to a certain degree with great results.

The purpose of this thread is to make it real easy for new people to learn how to convert with Adobe Audition. And to add new information to the first post and link it to various scripts and other helpful info that people might want to contribute. So if you see a post that is just a script, it's being linked to by the first post. Post your questions and comments as well. I thought it useful to consolidate AA info into one place as I was struggling for the information when I first started.

I encourage people to convert their SQ records (CD-4 and Q8 too) and play them through their systems by either regular Audio CD/DVD-A and by converting into 4 channel DVD-A/DTS-CD. I only play records and tapes once to get it recorded, as Quad stuff is irreplaceable today.

I know how you feel sq10, I'm a Mac person also. But I got tired of not being able to run Windows programs, so I bought a Dell. Surprisingly once you get to know both platforms there's not much difference IMO. I plan to get an Apple G5 and run both Mac and Windows, but since the Dell is working perfectly I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what would be the equivilent of AA on MAC ? and does a tool exist for both windows and MAC ?

Out of interest, what would be the equivilent of AA on MAC ? and does a tool exist for both windows and MAC ?

As of today, May 3 , 07 , Adobe sez it will EVENTUALLY release it for Mac...

Personally , I use the Logic Pro audio editor-quite orthopedic, if you ask me... I used to have the early cool Edit (96?) and it was great!

OK, so the bottom line;
We need a PC (after so much dough... anyway I STILL LOVE me mac) to record the LP, the AAudition ($400) for processing the signal- and a dvd-a burner program like Discwelder bronze($99) (Is the Surcode DTS recommended-$99-, or is it too lo-fi because of the compression?) to record it. And of course a dvd audio player and a system with at least 4 speakers...

Last edited:
OK, so the bottom line;
We need a PC (after so much dough... anyway I STILL LOVE me mac) to record the LP, the AAudition ($400) for processing the signal- and a dvd-a burner program like Discwelder bronze($99) (Is the Surcode DTS recommended-$99-, or is it too lo-fi because of the compression?) to record it. And of course a dvd audio player and a system with at least 4 speakers...

I use Surecode for DTS-CDs and it sounds good to me, but there might be a better solution for DTS. I'm definitely getting Discwelder bronze for $99 as that is highly recommenced to make DVD-As. Also DVD-Audio Solo Plus Edition v1.2 for $34.95 is the low cost solution that I understand works well. Also we can record DVD-Audio with AAudition. Just take you time and weigh your options when buying equipment. You can save money that way.

Last edited:

You know that's a good question that I would like to know myself. Is there phase filters of the same sort in some of the Mac Audio programs? Let me do some research and ask around.

You know that's a good question that I would like to know myself. Is there phase filters of the same sort in some of the Mac Audio programs? Let me do some research and ask around.

Which would bring a question I had:
Is there a "manual"(copy, paste, bake...) way to do the SQ decoding using another (mac,I assume :rolleyes: )program?

At this point I would say no, there is not a Mac way to do this. But this is not the definite answer. The key is a Mac music program that has a phase filter process in it somewhere or a plug-in. Perhaps you could check out the Logic Pro Audio software you have to look for some sort of Phase Filters to process an audio file.

Also, you could do what I'm doing at the moment, record the SQ or QS record in Mac and save as wav files and/or audio CD. I then bring the disc to my Dell. You could give your audio to someone you know with a Windows PC to finish the process. There is a free trial link for AA 1.5 above at post #1.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just an addition to Winopener's script:
it's a phase shift of -180° to the rear left channel only, this is because a +90 degree was applied when extracting rear channels.

Could you please tell us where and how to apply the "phase shift of -180° to the rear left channel only" into the script? Please repost corrected script if you are able to.

Thank you for your help and info.

Last edited:
Here it is:

***begin of script*** < - Do not copy this, copy the info below.
Collection: Winopener
Title: SQdecoding
Description:
Mode: 1
Undo: 0

cmd: Channel Both

cmd: Command 1100
1: C:\sq\rear.wav
2: sÿ

Selected: 0 to 156262176 SR 44100
Freq: Off
Comment: Filters\Graphic Phase Shifter
cmd: {FC0778B7-D686-4B7C-B40F-5F112504D8CC}
1: 65536
2: 2
3: 0
4: 900
5: 4096
6: 900
7: 1
8: 0
9: -180
10: 180
11: 3

Comment: Amplitude\Channel Mixer
cmd: {4EB62A8D-32F7-4515-8C90-919A17A50EE5}
1: 0
2: 1
3: 1
4: 0
5: 0
6: 0
7: 0

cmd: Paste Special
1: 1
2: 1
3: 3
4: 1
5: 0
6: 1
7: C:\sq\front.wav
9: 0

Comment: Filters\Center Channel Extractor
cmd: {2A0B716A-4C11-4871-8C81-36BAB58A47B6}
2: 20480
4: 16
5: 6
6: 2
7: -48
8: 90
10: 22050
11: 0
12: 1124
13: 8
14: 4
15: 48
16: 0
17: 0
18: 0

11: 90
15: 52

11: 270

Comment: Filters\Graphic Phase Shifter
cmd: {FC0778B7-D686-4B7C-B40F-5F112504D8CC}
1: 65536
2: 2
4: 0
5: 4096
6: 0
7: 1
9: -180
10: 180
11: 1

cmd: Command 1100
1: C:\sq\front.wav
2: sÿ

11: 270

11: 90

11: 180

End:

***end of script***< - Do not copy this, copy the info above.

OK, so maybe I need the "Idiot's guide to SQ decoding and burning into disc"...:confused:
1) You record your LP into a a wav file and place the sq-encoded file on c:\sq
2) open it in AA, convert (if not already) to 32-bit res. and normalize at -6dB
3) save it as front.wav
4) save it again as rear.wav
5) run the script below; after the script complete, raise front.wav by 3dB
OK_HERE'S WHERE I GET LOST:mad:@:
How do you run the script?
you go into scripts in File and then what?

Please help- don't know if , since my AA 2.0 is the trial version, it won't work properly...could be...

OK, so maybe I need the "Idiot's guide to SQ decoding and burning into disc"...:confused:
1) You record your LP into a a wav file and place the sq-encoded file on c:\sq
2) open it in AA, convert (if not already) to 32-bit res. and normalize at -6dB
3) save it as front.wav
4) save it again as rear.wav
5) run the script below; after the script complete, raise front.wav by 3dB
OK_HERE'S WHERE I GET LOST:mad:@:

Please help- don't know if , since my AA 2.0 is the trial version, it won't work properly...could be...

Well, don't feel bad, I'm still learning Adobe Audition as well.

The instructions above ar post #1 are for Adobe Audition 1.5.
Please see the next post (#21) for instructions for Adobe Audition 2.0.

We're also having a discursion about AA 2.0 script here:
Adobe Audition 2.0 Script Help Needed - How To Configure I:\SQ Data\
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8088

For AA 2.0:
In "Edit View" go to Edit > scripts then click "Open/New Collection" button and choose the proper script from the Adobe Audition scripts folder. Click on the script name next to the "Run Script" button (it's on the left of the "grayed out" "Run Script" button). Then the "Run Script" button will turn on and work when you click on it.

Last edited:
Back