Squeezebox with MCH playback

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumping up this old thread to say that Squeeze Box software is amazing. Yes I realize that this is a multichannel forum, but if you are like me with tons of ripped stereo albums, this software can't be beat.

Again, I have never owned any Squeezebox hardware, but 3rd party support has taken this software to the next level and only very expensive solutions can do what this does.

The 3rd party software I use is Squeezelite-X, Material Skin add-on, Music and Artist Information add-on, and Tidal add-on.

Tidal will integrate seamlessly with all your other two channel stuff and the user interface is second to none, value wise. Did I mention the software is free?

I only found this thread because I was looking for a workaround to get multichannel flac's working. It would be nice to get this software working with my big rig but that ain't happening. But if you have a secondary rig for two channel audio, I highly recommend checking this Squeeze stuff out. I was only looking for a way to control Tidal remotely, like Spotify does inherently, but found something much much more.

I have an early Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 and a later Squeezebox Touch, great little pieces of gear; still pissed at logitech for buying out a great company/product line and then dumping it. Played a lot of Internet Radio music through them and my networked music files (now mainly with an Oppo 205)

Same for Google and the Sony BD Google TV.

I have an early Slim Devices Squeezebox 2 and a later Squeezebox Touch, great little pieces of gear; still pissed at logitech for buying out a great company/product line and then dumping it. Played a lot of Internet Radio music through them and my networked music files (now mainly with an Oppo 205)

Same for Google and the Sony BD Google TV.

My player is a 10th generation intel laptop that I got at Costco black friday for $275, and a $100 Topping DAC with an upgraded power supply. All I really wanted to do was get Tidal control from across the room.

The surprise was when I got the Material Skin going with the Artist Information lookup. The user interface rivals Kodi, jRiver, Musicbee and other quality media organizers. Also, the server is as solid as any servers I have used including Plex and ChannelsDVR. The integration with my stereo music library is the icing on the cake. To have this much music at my fingertips, in this beautiful package, whether I'm on my PC or holding a phone or tablet is very awesome!

My player is a 10th generation intel laptop that I got at Costco black friday for $275, and a $100 Topping DAC with an upgraded power supply. All I really wanted to do was get Tidal control from across the room.

The surprise was when I got the Material Skin going with the Artist Information lookup. The user interface rivals Kodi, jRiver, Musicbee and other quality media organizers. Also, the server is as solid as any servers I have used including Plex and ChannelsDVR. The integration with my stereo music library is the icing on the cake. To have this much music at my fingertips, in this beautiful package, whether I'm on my PC or holding a phone or tablet is very awesome!
Iā€™m just dragging along with the Oppo; and on the cusp of trying to figure out which way to go next with this sort of thing. I do know that you and atrocity are light years beyond my simpleton understanding as to the technical side of these devices. My old Squeezebox, I wanted to re-purpose for an internet radio streamer to my Surround Master (recently got another Oppo 103 for files for the SMv2), but the old Squeezebox seems to have some issue now with networking with my WiFi that I canā€™t get figured out- LOL, seams thereā€™s always something with this stuff šŸ˜…

Iā€™m just dragging along with the Oppo; and on the cusp of trying to figure out which way to go next with this sort of thing. I do know that you and atrocity are light years beyond my simpleton understanding as to the technical side of these devices. My old Squeezebox, I wanted to re-purpose for an internet radio streamer to my Surround Master (recently got another Oppo 103 for files for the SMv2), but the old Squeezebox seems to have some issue now with networking with my WiFi that I canā€™t get figured out- LOL, seams thereā€™s always something with this stuff šŸ˜…

Just a shot in the dark but try installing SqueezeliteX on your PC and maybe the old Squeezebox will connect to that. There are a lot of settings on the server side and that player somewhat integrates them. Also there was a big Logitech Media Server update to 8.1.1 that seems to be much better than the previous ones. Good luck.

the old Squeezebox seems to have some issue now with networking with my WiFi that I canā€™t get figured out

If it's just not compatible with your router, there may be some kind of workaround that would let you use the Ethernet port. Powerline adapter?

Though the older boxes are notorious for the wireless cards giving out. As I understand it, they're fairly simple to replace and similar in size to an SD card, though I can't say from personal experience.

From what I gather, having never owned any Squeezebox hardware, the screen is on the remote.

They did sell something called a Controller that was a remote with screen, but that wasn't standard with most players. It also had a headphone jack to allow use as a wireless Walkman, but an old cell phone can do that as well as remote control duties.

They did sell something called a Controller that was a remote with screen, but that wasn't standard with most players. It also had a headphone jack to allow use as a wireless Walkman, but an old cell phone can do that as well as remote control duties.

Thanks. That was the only one I had pictured in my mind. I didn't realize how many hardware versions of "Squeezebox" there were.

Back