Started archiving my SA-CD / DVD-A collection...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLIM

Quad heads - I feel your pain....

I can't believe how tedious it is recording using ANALOG connections between by SA-CD player and audio interface. I wish I had enough time on my hands to get all of my SA-CDs on my computer into a friendly format, but at the rate I'm going, it is going to take me until June. The worst part…I have a very small SA-CD / DVD-A collection!

So here was my recording chain….

Marantz SA8260 -> Custom RCA to ¼ cables (Switchcraft Connectors and Gepco wire(y) ) -> RME Multiface -> Vegas 6.0 @ 24bit / 48k

So the process…..

Record the whole album, trim the silence from the start and end of the album…..through markers in the appropriate locations to separate the tracks…..render each track to 6 mono wav files…..encode to WMA lossless using Windows Media Encoder…..use a tag editor to input the correct track info….go to Amazon and get a pic of the album cover.

This whole process takes a good 2 hours……plus I don’t even have to switch sides of a record.

It is such a pain, that when I recorded DSOTM, I didn’t even bother to chop it up into separate tracks. So I really have to tip my hat to you guys with large quad on vinyl collections that you are converting to digital. I’m guessing that you probably find the recording /listening therapeutic. :)

(I find making audio cables therapeutic…. it’s nice to shut off the brain every once in a while.):mad:@:

Welcome to the club! :D

At least with SACDs you don't have to "clean them up"! Have you figured out how to do DVD-A's yet?

I've got the DVD-A thing all figured out.....I finished with the DVD-A's in my collection already.....now I've got about 10 more SA-CDs to go...

My hard drive is filling up way too quickly!!!

KLIM said:
I've got the DVD-A thing all figured out.....I finished with the DVD-A's in my collection already.....now I've got about 10 more SA-CDs to go...

My hard drive is filling up way too quickly!!!

Howd'ja manage that? :mad:@:

Removables hard drive, on trays, is the best solution. Just pay attention when they start to stack one on the other... currently i'm on the 9th!

JonUrban said:
Howd'ja manage that? :mad:@:

Since it would be illegal to bypass the copy protection on DVD-Audio...my answer would have to be I recorded the analog outputs. Since this is a public forum, that is my public answer.

I could never get that to work. I tried to make a "Best of Talking Heads" for my own private use in my car (it has a DVD-A player in it), and even though I copied analog into the PC, upon playback, the playback of each track stopped after a few seconds. Oh well............

That is because of the watermarking.....survives analog recording....only an issue if you wish to burn a DVD-Audio of the same watermarked material. If your audio is in a "computer" format like FLAC, WAV, etc... they play back just fine...only DVD-Audio players "read" the watermark.

Can this same technique be done for archiving DTS Music Discs? If so what programs are you using to make the separate mono files and how do you get them to play together on your computer?

Back