Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not very good. Bass is totally out of control. It is a quad mix, yet barely has anything in the rears. Real shame.

I don't care if it's not an immersive surround mix, cause it's a live concert, and live shows don't always have to be immersive surround extravaganzas for me, but if the bass is not good and tight, that is a real shame, but I won't make any judgments on it myself until I have heard it. (And I know at least one person who may be able to loan it to me at some point…) ;)

I don't care if it's not an immersive surround mix, cause it's a live concert, and live shows don't always have to be immersive surround extravaganzas for me, but if the bass is not good and tight, that is a real shame, but I won't make any judgments on it myself until I have heard it. (And I know at least one person who may be able to loan it to me at some point…) ;)

The bass ruins the whole show. Boomy right throughout.

Whoa, hold on a second! Let's step back and address WHICH release we are talking about.
I was talking about the expanded edition of "Blues With A Feeling".
You seem to be talking about the new live Blu-Ray.
It makes perfect sense that the new live Blu-Ray would have a DTS-HD MA surround sound mix but maybe not so much for "Blues With A Feeling".
And that's the release I was talking about when quoting Adam's post.
Just so we're all straight here… :confused:

Sorry,

I jumped the gun, thinking it was the upcoming live.

Here's a preorder for Steve Hackett's new live Blu-Ray from Burning Shed: https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/7541/

Unlike the Royal Albert Hall release from two years ago, they separated the Blu-Ray out from the CDs and DVDs, so this one should be a lot less expensive for those who are interested.

And on a somewhat related front, the upcoming reissue of "Blues With A Feeling" is a CD-only release. (No DVDs and no surround sound on that one.)

Got my standalone copies of Please Don't Touch! and Spectral Mornings a couple days ago.

While I have not had a chance to delve into the surround mixes yet, I have listened to the 24/96 stereo versions.

Generally I like them but I find the bass to be a little too forward on the first couple songs on PDT! and am a little confused about the 4sec silent track at the end of Spectral.

Otherwise my first impressions are that the 24/96 stereo mixes sound fresh and I enjoy the spaciousness of the mixes except in the couple of instances on PDT! previously mentioned though this isn't a deal breaker IMHO.

Generally I like them but I find the bass to be a little too forward on the first couple songs on PDT! and am a little confused about the 4sec silent track at the end of Spectral.

From memory, this is nothing more than a chapter break for the picture's fade-to-black before the menu screen pops up again.

I received my Please Don't Touch, Spectral Mornings and Defector and they're all awesome.

Defector's pseudo 5.1 up-mix from a stereo master is one of the best I've heard. Some parts are remarkably discreet. Anyone know who mixed this? I couldn't find this info in the liner notes.

Just received my 2 RBCD/DVD~V of Defector. Unlike Spectral Mornings and Please Don't Touch, I was very disappointed that Defector did not include the LOSSLESS 96/24 Stereo remix of the album, especially considering that Defector contains a LOSSY DTS Upmix of the original stereo elements.

There was certainly adequate room on the disc ............

So much for consistency.

On a positive note, for those who are Genesis and prog rock fans, ALL three Steve Hackett remasters are worth adding to one's collection. As always, Steve Wilsons remixes are superb and the Penteo upmix on Defector does not disappoint.

They couldn't include a Defector stereo remix, lossy or lossless, because the multitracks were not available.

So no, it's not inconsistent.

They couldn't include a Defector stereo remix, lossy or lossless, because the multitracks were not available.

So no, it's not inconsistent.

I see....but they could have included the contents of CD1 as a bonus in LOSSLESS 96/24 w/the two bonus tracks.

Come to think of it....with the expense incurred by including the 2 RBCDs and DVD~V, I wish they released the entire 3 disc set on 1 BD~A with EVERYTHING LOSSLESS. Why NOT, since I'm sure the two RBCDs were mastered from 96/24 (or higher) masters.

I see....but they could have included the contents of CD1 as a bonus in LOSSLESS 96/24 w/the two bonus tracks.

Come to think of it....with the expense incurred by including the 2 RBCDs and DVD~V, I wish they released the entire 3 disc set on 1 BD~A with EVERYTHING LOSSLESS. Why NOT, since I'm sure the two RBCDs were mastered from 96/24 (or higher) masters.

Come on Ralphie, fess up.. You wanted a downmix of the upmix! ;)
(aka the original stereo pre penteo.. :p )

Once again, I'm glad someone's highlighting how underwhelming these releases are.
Yes, Steven Wilson's stereo & surround remixes for "Please Don't Touch" and "Spectral Mornings" are fantastic, but so much more could have been included with the space available.

Sin #1 was not including the original stereo mixes in high-res on the DVD.
And Sin #2 was not authoring these discs as DVD-A/V discs so that we could enjoy the surround sound mix in fully lossless quality.

Finally, I have to disagree with the last few posters in that I think the "Defector" upmix sounds like garbage, though I definitely won't place any blame for that on the upmixer. The stereo mix is just not one that lends itself well to upmixing. (The "Voyage of the Acolyte" upmix in the "Premonitions" box set is slightly better.)

I found some great clips on YouTube recently from the new Steve Hackett documentary "The Man, The Music".

This is a clip of SH and Steven Wilson discussing "Please Don't Touch". Enjoy! :)

[video=youtube;FEekzZfg5zs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEekzZfg5zs&spfreload=10[/video]

Are there SH 5.1 must haves? I feel a little left-out not havin' none!!!

Just these two:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/7297/ ("Please Don't Touch")
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/7295/ ("Spectral Mornings")

Both are remixed by Steven Wilson. Everything else is not worth it at all from a surround perspective. :)

What a spontaneous sucker I am....thanks for the nudge guys....

ORDERED BOTH! :)

Back