Steve Hackett back catalog in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just these two:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/7297/ ("Please Don't Touch")
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/7295/ ("Spectral Mornings")

Both are remixed by Steven Wilson. Everything else is not worth it at all from a surround perspective. :)

What you're saying about the other two (the upmixes), Ryan, isn't true. You're imposing your opinion upon them and trying to state it as fact. That's not critically fair at all. Voyage Of The Acolyte, for example, you could more accurately (and fairly) say that it's better than having just a stereo version, but you just don't like it very much. Steven Wilson felt that they were worth including, and personally, I think he's right. Others have to decide for themselves.

What you're saying about the other two (the upmixes), Ryan, isn't true. You're imposing your opinion upon them and trying to state it as fact. That's not critically fair at all. Voyage Of The Acolyte, for example, you could more accurately (and fairly) say that it's better than having just a stereo version, but you just don't like it very much. Steven Wilson felt that they were worth including, and personally, I think he's right. Others have to decide for themselves.

No I'm not! You just don't understand that I don't have to add the words "in my opinion" to everything that I post! Anybody reading my posts should know that they are my thoughts, and that they do not necessarily represent the views of others on here.
But of course you would never say that if I just agreed with you...

In this case, I preferred to take Ryan's advice as like the Bag-master.....I was feeling like I simply need to have some Hackett and only needed some direction. Hell, I may not even like these...that's OK, I want to check them out. It's all cool. :)

Agree with this, the two albums as upmixes are quite decent. That SW wanted them to be released this way says enough for me. Better to have some SW Penteo upmix than nothing at all.

Btw, regarding Hackett, is any of the Genesis Revisited stuff worth it?

Obviously, this is just MY OPINION (is that clear enough for you, leahypc?!):
All of the Genesis revisited stuff from Steve Hackett is worth buying if you're not concerned about the surround mix and you just want to listen to some great Genesis music lovingly recreated by Steve, his band, and special guests.
But like I said, just don't expect discrete surround mixes on the live DVDs and Blu-Rays, cause they are far from that. (Which doesn't bother me but it may bother some others…)

Please chill it! Just about every single post on this forum is OPINION. Two of the four Steve Hackett surround discs are discrete because multitracks were available. The other two are up mixes that people either like or they don't. I'd split the difference and recommend Voyage Of The Acolyte as pretty great (adding yet another opinion) to the mix. Defector surround imaging and material are far compelling IMHO.

#moderatorslament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which 2 are they Robert? Are they also on Amazon for purchase? I'm just curious I suppose....

Gos, doesn't look like "Defector" upmix by SW is available at Amazon's for a good price any more. You can get it at importcds and burningshed for more reasonable price but the other upmix,'Voyage of the Acolyte' they did not sell as a stand alone as far as I know you can only get it in the boxset 'Premonitions' which had all 4 SW mix's.
I see that Premonitions is for sale for under $100 at amazon.com right now.
I have Premonitions, the boxset has warts as the way they hold disk's in the card board sleeve's the first time you take them out, you might be lucky but many of my cd's had scratches on them as it depends how careful or not that whoever inserted the disk's at the factory, so thats a physical issue.
If not for that issue I can endorse the boxset as you get the 4 surrounds(2 upmix's which I don't mind, they aren't perfect but its the best we can get from those 2 albums) and then you get a whole bunch of cd's with some live stuff that isn't too bad.
The booklet isn't amazing but is a good add for this set as well.

peter

Just my little opinion.....

Spectral Mornings is the better musically, very good surround.Please Don't Touch is growing on me though, and it's good surround.

Defector, is worth having but is the musically weaker of the three.The Penteo is ok, but I think the Penteo mix is better demo'd on the Crimson discs.

Hackett's Revisited, is not great surround, but the Genesis music he plays is well worth listening to-very well performed.

Can't comment on HACKETT-RAH as I don't have it but no doubt the Genesis music does not disappoint, as the other concert is only 3years apart ? Can't imagine it being bad.And as Ryan states the concerts have guest artists.

Gos, doesn't look like "Defector" upmix by SW is available at Amazon's for a good price any more. You can get it at importcds and burningshed for more reasonable price but the other upmix,'Voyage of the Acolyte' they did not sell as a stand alone as far as I know you can only get it in the boxset 'Premonitions' which had all 4 SW mix's.
I see that Premonitions is for sale for under $100 at amazon.com right now.
I have Premonitions, the boxset has warts as the way they hold disk's in the card board sleeve's the first time you take them out, you might be lucky but many of my cd's had scratches on them as it depends how careful or not that whoever inserted the disk's at the factory, so thats a physical issue.
If not for that issue I can endorse the boxset as you get the 4 surrounds(2 upmix's which I don't mind, they aren't perfect but its the best we can get from those 2 albums) and then you get a whole bunch of cd's with some live stuff that isn't too bad.
The booklet isn't amazing but is a good add for this set as well.

peter

OK, gotcha. Somehow, all this time I didn't even realize Wilson was behind the knobs....which of course gets my attention now. :)

Just ripped through Spectral Mornings on el ut00b.0
What a bitchin' album! No clunkers. Can't wait to hear the SW mix. Could become a favorite disc.

The new surround mix really does sound great even though it was just released on a lossy DVD-V disc.
I would love to hear what the original lossless mixes sound like!

:)

I'm kind of new here and mostly a lurker.
Nevertheless, I wonder why there are no polls for these three albums yet? I'm interested in purchasing them, but I don't know if they are worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm kind of new here and mostly a lurker.
Nevertheless, I wonder why there are no polls for these three albums yet? I'm interested in purchasing them, but I don't know if they are worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Send a PM to QQ member Bob Romano requesting that polls for these 3 discs be made in the DTS section of the forum.
(Unless of course Bob doesn't mind me stepping in and making those polls, in which case I certainly am able and wouldn't mind taking care of it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who haven't purchased them yet: The 3 Hackett surround Albums are currently part of Amazon Germanys "3 for 25" deal - yes, that 25 euros for all of them so I ordered immediately. Still available at last check.

Cheers for that. Count me as one who hasn't purchased the separate releases yet. Will Voyage of the Acolyte ever be released separately we all must ask lol? Shame they can't locate the multi-tracks for the two albums as I'm sure they would sound spectacular. And like what was done with Tales earlier including the original Revealing Science of God and the extended Dance of the Dawn - I would hope that both versions of Shadow of the Hierophant be included.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Will Voyage of the Acolyte ever be released separately we all must ask lol? Shame they can't locate the multi-tracks for the two albums as I'm sure they would sound spectacular. And like what was done with Tales earlier including the original Revealing Science of God and the extended Dance of the Dawn - I would hope that both versions of Shadow of the Hierophant be included.

I asked Mark Powell about this when the other 3-disc sets were announced, and he had this to say:
I'm not sure yet. It's Universal's decision but it's certainly something I'll suggest

Because of how many months out we are from when the other 3-disc sets were released, I'm not expecting a deluxe edition release of "Voyage".
Main reason why I don't think it happened the first time was because unlike the other albums, there wasn't enough material to fill 3 discs, so they didn't bother.
As for "Shadow of the Hierophant", they could easily include both versions (in stereo) on the CD as they have done before, but as for the DVD, I would think it would be exactly the same as what is currently included in the "Premonitions" box set, so that would mean just the extended version.

Back