Steven Wilson: "Home Invasion - In concert at the Royal Albert Hall"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have just got home from the concert. Great performances all round and a thoroughly enjoyable evening with targeted and effective live surround sound, of course. Lots from To The Bone as well as a decent dip into the Porcupine Tree catalogue. I gather that tomorrow's concert will include Hand Cannot Erase, possibly in entirety. Steven said that Thursday's concert will be filmed for DVD/Blu Ray release later this year. And I just received Arriving Somewhere on Blu Ray today! Interestingly there was no support act tonight (or tomorrow) but on Thursday that honour goes to Richard Barbieri (PT keyboards in case you weren't sure). So Steven's set must be different again for the Blu Ray as it may be a little shorter (?)

Just after the gig finished I heard someone behind say to his friend that he thought tonight was even better than the Amsterdam gig. It's clearly not just SW who is on tour. So, for anyone still wondering whether to get a ticket for when SW turns up nearby (North American tour still to come), my recommendation is don't hesitate. You only get one life so use it well!

Hi, I have just got home from the concert. Great performances all round and a thoroughly enjoyable evening with targeted and effective live surround sound, of course. Lots from To The Bone as well as a decent dip into the Porcupine Tree catalogue. I gather that tomorrow's concert will include Hand Cannot Erase, possibly in entirety. Steven said that Thursday's concert will be filmed for DVD/Blu Ray release later this year. And I just received Arriving Somewhere on Blu Ray today! Interestingly there was no support act tonight (or tomorrow) but on Thursday that honour goes to Richard Barbieri (PT keyboards in case you weren't sure). So Steven's set must be different again for the Blu Ray as it may be a little shorter (?)

Just after the gig finished I heard someone behind say to his friend that he thought tonight was even better than the Amsterdam gig. It's clearly not just SW who is on tour. So, for anyone still wondering whether to get a ticket for when SW turns up nearby (North American tour still to come), my recommendation is don't hesitate. You only get one life so use it well!
I believe you had the added pleasure of Ninet singing. Unfortunately not for us at the Birmingham concert, instead we had a projection of her on a front mesh screen but at least we heard her amazing voice for Pariah.

No sign of any cameras last night, but wow what a gig! Most of To The Bone was played, and I have to say that every song from that album was better live than on record. 4 songs were with the wonderful Ninet, and she got a great reception from the audience.

Highlights were many, but Home Invasion followed by The Creator Has A Mastertape takes some beating.

The visuals were better than ever, with projections behind them and in front on a see through curtain. Lots of live surround sound, I particularly noticed this on Song of Unborn, Vermillioncore and Raven.

I got chatting to people sat around me, and on my left was a record producer (who is a massive Wilson fan) whose most famous work was with Tina Turner! And on my right was a man who was best mates with Tim Bowness at school!!

Anyway, I'm back at work before Albert Hall again tonight :D

That was the same as the Cardiff gig, its a shame she wasn't singing live, I find her vocals amazing, her album "Paper Parachute" is good as well, really rocks.

I believe you had the added pleasure of Ninet singing. Unfortunately not for us at the Birmingham concert, instead we had a projection of her on a front mesh screen but at least we heard her amazing voice for Pariah.

I realised I've never been to a gig in the Albert Hall! :eek:

No sign of any cameras last night, but wow what a gig! Most of To The Bone was played, and I have to say that every song from that album was better live than on record. 4 songs were with the wonderful Ninet, and she got a great reception from the audience.

Highlights were many, but Home Invasion followed by The Creator Has A Mastertape takes some beating.

The visuals were better than ever, with projections behind them and in front on a see through curtain. Lots of live surround sound, I particularly noticed this on Song of Unborn, Vermillioncore and Raven.

I got chatting to people sat around me, and on my left was a record producer (who is a massive Wilson fan) whose most famous work was with Tina Turner! And on my right was a man who was best mates with Tim Bowness at school!!

Anyway, I'm back at work before Albert Hall again tonight :D

We'll know soon, but I'm guessing that Richard Barbieri will not only open for SW, but also make a guest appearance for the video.

No guessing needed - SW has said "it would seem rude to not get together to do at least one old PT song!" so the guessing can be what song it'll be.

Setlist from night two - wow...it'd be a shame if at least the audio was not captured.

Wow again after the second Albert Hall night :SB

In summary
- he played for 3 hours!
- 26 songs
- only 11 songs repeated from the first night
- he was his own support act, playing solo - The Sky Moved Sideways, Trains, Even Less, and with Adam - How is your Life Today, Blackfield, Postcard
- more guests - Ninet again (on 6 songs tonight, including a wonderful Routine, what a voice, what a smile), Dave Kilminster (on Home Invasion), Mark Feltham (incredible harmonica playing on To The Bone and Refuge)
- :LB

Not going to the third night, as would be pushing my luck too much with the wife, but will get to see it eventually when its released on bluray.

well, I know that the RAH is a "sacred" venue, and I'd LOVE to go there at least once...
BUT,
I got tix for the Ogden Theater (a VERY small place in comparison) so, it'll be intimate!
ENJOY!
I have been to a several concerts at RAH and I find that the sound in the circle seats which are very high and above the speaker system, is very poor with lots of reverb/echo. The best seats for sound and view are in the arena and stalls, IMO. It's sacred because of who has performed there in the past.

I have been to a several concerts at RAH and I find that the sound in the circle seats which are very high and above the speaker system, is very poor with lots of reverb/echo. The best seats for sound and view are in the arena and stalls, IMO. It's sacred because of who has performed there in the past.

I agree with this, I've been to concerts there where I've heard reviewers complaining about poor sound, when from where I was sat the sound had been good, and vice versa.

Its also sacred because it was built in 1871 and it looks stunning from outside and inside!

Looks like the setlist has been posted so I guess that's what we can expect for the central part of the blu-ray. Glad to see Song of Unborn included and I hope he keeps it in the set for the show I'll be at (Phoenix).

Set 1:
Nowhere Now
Pariah (with Ninet Tayeb)
Home Invasion
Regret #9
The Creator Has a Mastertape
Refuge
People Who Eat Darkness (with Ninet Tayeb)
Ancestral

Set 2:
Arriving Somewhere but Not Here
Permanating
Song of I
Lazarus
Detonation
The Same Asylum as Before
Song of Unborn
Vermillioncore
Sleep Together

Encore:
Even Less (SW solo)
Blank Tapes (with Ninet Tayeb)
The Sound of Muzak
The Raven That Refused to Sing

This is the cover for Steven Wilson's upcoming live Blu-Ray. (It leaked a few weeks back, and I grabbed it before it was pulled down.) :)
cb2b0e_c22390fb89f44f86a3b5c9896a2fbc94~mv2.jpg

This concert film will be released in both 2CD/Blu-Ray and 2CD/DVD formats. Release date is October 26th
Tracklisting is as follows (for both the Blu-Ray and DVD)

• 1. Intro "Truth"
  • 2. Nowhere Now
  • 3. Pariah
  • 4. Home Invasion / Regret #9
  • 5. The Creator Has A Mastertape
  • 6. Refuge
  • 7. People Who Eat Darkness
  • 8. Ancestral
  • 9. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here
  • 10. Permanating
  • 11. Song Of I
  • 12. Lazarus
  • 13. Detonation
  • 14. The Same Asylum As Before
  • 15. Song Of Unborn
  • 16. Vermillioncore
  • 17. Sleep Together
  • 18. Even Less
  • 19. Blank Tapes
  • 20. The Sound Of Muzak
  • 21. The Raven That Refused To Sing
  • 22. Routine (Rehearsal)
  • 23. Hand Cannot Erase (Rehearsal)
  • 24. Heartattack In A Layby (Rehearsal)
  • 25. Interview
The CDs contain the same track listing as the main concert (so no 'rehearsal' tracks on the CDs)

Information found here: https://www.bengans.com/cgi-bin/ibu...24&visa=1-400&Sort=Osorterat&Visn=Sokresultat

https://cdon.se/musik/wilson-steven...ert-hall-limited-edition-blu-ray-2cd-45297910

I suspect the official announcements and other order links should come sometime this coming week or next, and like the "Get All You Deserve" release there's no "super deluxe" version.

Too bad his appearance with Richard Barbieri didn't get added in the bonus rehearsal etc footage.

Back