Steven Wilson: "To The Bone" (new album)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we'll be getting a blu-ray from this tour - SW post today:
Tomorrow myself and the band play the first of 3 nights at what is probably my favourite venue in the world, The Royal Albert Hall in London. I know many of you are coming along to one or more nights, and in some cases travelling in from abroad, so I welcome everyone and hope you will enjoy the experience as much as I plan to! It's nearly always magical at the Royal Albert Hall.

Although all nights will be centred around the current To the Bone show, each will also have exclusive content. The first night (Tuesday) will be essentially a presentation of the show we've been doing across Europe for the last 8 weeks or so, but will include a live premiere of a song with a brand new beautiful animated video by Jess Cope, and one or two other surprises. The second night will delve more into my back catalogue, including a performance of most of Hand. Cannot. Erase, and an opening "unplugged" set where I'll be playing a few older songs either in solo or duo (with Adam on piano) format.

The final night is in many ways the most exciting for me, because the big news is that we are filming it for a blu-ray/DVD release. As I've constantly wanted to raise the bar in terms of the production levels in the show itself, so it is with the way we are going to film this show, I want to create something that captures as much of the spectacle and immersive aspects of the show as possible. We also have my former band-mate from the Porcupine Tree days Richard Barbieri doing an opening set on this evening, and it would seem rude to not get together to do at least one old PT song! We’ve just released the last few production seat tickets and as we’re filming it would be great to have a completely full house, so if you haven’t got a ticket for this show, please come along, make some noise, and be in my video!

Looks like we'll be getting a blu-ray from this tour - SW post today:

That's a shame, I'm seeing him at the Albert Hall tonight and tomorrow night, but not going the third night, so I'll miss the filmed one with Richard Barbieri supporting! There's no support the first 2, but it sounds like the setlist will be very different over those nights :D. I'm very pleased that we'll get a bluray from this tour. I was really disappointed that we didn't get one from the Hand.Cannot.Erase tour, which was amazing to see. I believe he initially said that there would be one from that tour, but at some point he must have changed his mind.

Too bad they aren't filming all 3 nights and at least include unique tracks as bonuses.
Oh well, one night will be better than nothing!

Depending on the setlist from night 3, I might sit this release out though. We'll see! Could depend on the production value too. If it's something really special.

That's a shame, I'm seeing him at the Albert Hall tonight and tomorrow night, but not going the third night, so I'll miss the filmed one with Richard Barbieri supporting! There's no support the first 2, but it sounds like the setlist will be very different over those nights :D. I'm very pleased that we'll get a bluray from this tour. I was really disappointed that we didn't get one from the Hand.Cannot.Erase tour, which was amazing to see. I believe he initially said that there would be one from that tour, but at some point he must have changed his mind.

As far as I'm concerned, you're lucky to catch those two evenings and you'll get to enjoy that third evening on a stellar Blu-Ray. Not too shabby I think. ;)

Too bad they aren't filming all 3 nights and at least include unique tracks as bonuses.
Oh well, one night will be better than nothing!

Depending on the setlist from night 3, I might sit this release out though. We'll see! Could depend on the production value too. If it's something really special.

I suspect there will be unique bonus content from two previous nights albeit with lower production values. Can’t see that stuff not being captured at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3048BE6B-38B0-460B-9E6D-90D352151B10.jpegED15612E-6B30-4F3F-AD04-6F625B48CA95.jpeg70F09857-875A-47B5-BB7E-61E7521D0690.jpeg637E3755-4A1D-449A-8647-FE3854FF72F4.jpeg80349180-D6C0-4148-9B4A-FCAD37A131E2.jpeg7615F218-31F9-4008-B82A-60B15B2A9ECD.jpeg

I purchased the deluxe box set when it first went up for sale but never got around to opening it. The reason is that it includes an LP and since I didn’t have a record player (turntable), I considered selling it and just getting the blu-ray. Today, after much research and contemplation, I placed an order for a vinyl spinner and it will arrive midweek. So now, I have no excuse not to open it. I never did get the stand alone blu-ray copy. Plus, I have yet to hear any of the tracks even in stereo off my free 30-day trial of Tidal that I won’t be keeping. This will be a big surprise. Will I like what I see and hear? Playing, “Hand Cannot Erase” now to get/set me in the mood.

I purchased the deluxe box set when it first went up for sale but never got around to opening it. The reason is that it includes an LP and since I didn’t have a record player (turntable), I considered selling it and just getting the blu-ray.
So, you didn't care about the CDs? Or the book? I haven't listened to the vinyl single and still haven't had a chance to listen to anything in the Blu-ray, but have gotten plenty of enjoyment out of the box set.

So, you didn't care about the CDs? Or the book? I haven't listened to the vinyl single and still haven't had a chance to listen to anything in the Blu-ray, but have gotten plenty of enjoyment out of the box set.
I think he basically meant, he was holding out opening in case a stand alone disk was released...then he'd buy the stand alone and sell the unopened box. So, as we all know...those who don't like these box sets do not want books or vinyl. :)

The only vinyl here is the 45 RPM single. There is a standalone Blu-ray disc, at least there was. I ordered two through Amazon in December that never arrived in canceled. When I made mention of this in a Steven Wilson Facebook page I was told they were plentiful. I’m not sure what the supply situation is.

Steven Wilson’s release pattern is to always do a special edition along with the standard standalone release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t said anything about the CD’s or the book because I just opened the package. The first thing I wanted to do is listen to the 5.1 Mix on the Blu-ray. I was quite surprised that I didn’t enjoy most of the songs or the sound quality.

I think he basically meant, he was holding out opening in case a stand alone disk was released...then he'd buy the stand alone and sell the unopened box. So, as we all know...those who don't like these box sets do not want books or vinyl. :)

Nope... I was saying that for some reason, I wasn’t in a hurry to open it because I knew it had that little vinyl disc inside and I contemplated, not opening it, selling it and just getting the separate BD. I was in no position to spin the included vinyl and wasn’t too crazy about having to store all that stuff, including the large book. Now that I opened it, I wished I would have just sold it along with my other sealed copy.

I haven’t said anything about the CD’s or the book because I just opened the package. The first thing I wanted to do is listen to the 5.1 Mix on the Blu-ray. I was quite surprised that I didn’t enjoy most of the songs or the sound quality.
No, I mean you didn't care enough about the other contents of the box set to want to keep it/open it sooner. If that were the case, why not just preorder the standalone Blu-ray? I don't get it.

No, I mean you didn't care enough about the other contents of the box set to want to keep it/open it sooner. If that were the case, why not just preorder the standalone Blu-ray? I don't get it.

I was excited and wanted to get it in the beginning but once I got it I hesitated opening it up. I went to Amazon to order the stand alone blu-ray several times over the past several months but they were always out of stock, including now. Yes, I could have ordered it from another vendor but I wasn’t in a hurry. Now, I had to purchase a TT because I’ve had this itch in my brain for a long time. So, that’s what prompted me to finally open the box set. I really didn’t need the stand alone BD when I had two deluxe editions sitting on my shelf anyway.

I hope that answered your question. :)

Here's "How Big The Space". Enjoy it now (in case it gets pulled from YouTube!):

:)

Downloaded as I suspect it may get pulled. On first listen, not one I put it his better category...definitely "b-side" or out-take material. It has a similar production - especially the vocal sound (that eq setting) - to Door Marked Summer which is a much better track imho.

Still, always glad to hear a new SW track and as I don't do vinyl (and really despise these "vinyl only" releases) I have to resort to other means to hear this stuff....and that pisses me off, but that's another discussion for another time and place.

Back