Steven Wilson working on 5.1 mixes of Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and "Ricochet"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it this one or another Tangerine Dream album that was encoded to some kind of surround sound on the two channel recording. It wasn't any of the popular formats but I think I recall a conversion I found decoded to four channels. It wasn't an upmix.

Saw them a couple of times in the mid 80's... Edgar Froese, Chris Franke and Paul Haslinger, I think it was the "Underwater sunlight" and "Tyger" tours... was really blown away at the "nature" of their live performances, which was basically improvisation with a few "songs" thrown in...

Saw them a couple of times in the mid 80's... Edgar Froese, Chris Franke and Paul Haslinger, I think it was the "Underwater sunlight" and "Tyger" tours... was really blown away at the "nature" of their live performances, which was basically improvisation with a few "songs" thrown in...

I love Underwater Sunlight And would really love that album in 5.1. Gorgeous album.

As previously mentioned, I already have Phaedra, Ricochet, Statrosfear and Rubycon on SHM~SACD and although they decode well through my pre/pro's DSP SUPER mode.....there's NOTHING like the real deal. Hopefully SW tackles them ALL.

Last edited:
I also like the Froese , Baumann years . But the 80's years are very good as well.....oh hell !!! I like all their yrs, all their output .

I am so up for this to happen. My first TD and still fave, tied with Rubycon. I remember to this day, hearing Phaedra on CD for the first time and being thrilled to hear the hiss from the tape-echo for the first time. What will be revealed in this incarnation?

Was it this one or another Tangerine Dream album that was encoded to some kind of surround sound on the two channel recording. It wasn't any of the popular formats but I think I recall a conversion I found decoded to four channels. It wasn't an upmix.
Alpha Centauri, Zeit and Atem were released also in SQ by Ohr Germany and PDU Italy.
AFAIK none of the Virgin albums had a quad release.

I have the SHM-SACD releases too. I was hoping for Universal Japan to continue the series or also release Froese solo albums in the format. But alas...
It is a consolation that the Phaedra multitracks are in good hands. SW is a real fan of the album. I imagine that he would like to handle the more prog-like TD albums (Cyclone, Force Majeure) as well. Or why not start a proper series like in the cases of Yes, Crimson, Tull... I would love that!

Last edited:
Actually had a twofer on Virgin Records G. Britain.....Alpha Centauri/Atem that had the Quadraphonie emblem in the jacket artwork.

Also in France I believe "Barclay Records" pressed some of these SQ discs. Have a " Sci Fi Market " quad from Cosmic Courriers/Barclay and one by "Dreamlab" with all the relevant quad indications.

Back