Steven Wilson working on 5.1 mixes of Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and "Ricochet"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no 1st hand knowledge, but it may well have been Edgar who prevented their material being mixed in surround while he was alive. The DVDs that are released with 5.1 mixes are ambient only.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/tangerine-dream-video.16856/post-164806
You may be right in that.
Edgar once said that he didn't like other people remixing TD.
As early as the Stratosfear album, TD asked Nick Mason to mix the track called Invisible Limits. They didn't like the result so they put the band's original mix on the album.
Much later Edgar let The Orb remix 'Towards The Evening Star' (Goblins Club album) and again, he didn't like it. That's when he and Jerome had the idea of TD remixing their earlier tracks themselves, hence the Dream Mixes series.
I know it is all not the same thing as someone like Steven Wilson remixing iconic albums in stereo and surround - remaining faithful to the original as much as possible, but I am sure Edgar was too possessive towards TD's recordings, and he might well have been a huge obstacle against the idea of letting someone touch TD's multitracks.

I am still under the influence of the sudden revelation of a future 'massive box set'.
By "massive" I imagine something like the whole Virgin TD catalog mixed in surround. Just imagine that!
I know most people want the Ohr albums or Phaedra to Stratosfear in 5.1.
But e.g. White Eagle begs to be mixed in surround! Or Force Majeure.

Likelihood of this massive set having Underwater Sunlight?

Being that it's Tangerine Dream's 29th album, that would depend on how massive this boxset is but this album and Le Parc are among my very favorite TD albums and one could ONLY hope! And of course the question remains, how many of these albums were actually remixed into surround by Steve Wilson? I'd even settle for 96/24 stereo remasters [and NOT have to endure the RBCDs anymore].

Wow, 29th album? That's nuts!!!! haha, I guess maybe that will be part of Tangerine Dream - The Steven Wilson Remixes Part IV?

I will need to check out Le Parc. I first heard Underwater Sunlight in Grand Cayman, I think a lot of the dive shops used the opening two cuts for ambient music in those "buy your trip to Stingray City on VHS" jobbies, have been in love with it ever since. The opening cuts, I have heard them probably as many times as Ommadawn Part 1 and I just never, ever, get tired of hearing them. Wish I could find a really good transcript for Part 2, so I could play along on piano.

TANGERINE DREAM TO RELEASE CD/BD BOX WITH STEVEN WILSON REMIXES
21 NOVEMBER, 2018 MAROWE
In what will SURELY be one of 2019’s ‘must have’ reissues will be a Tangerine Dream CD/BD Box with albums remixed by master engineer, Steven Wilson. To date, little is known about this upcoming box other than it’s likely to appear within April of 2019. Even more excellent to the news (and never downplaying other TD eras), these reissues will be for the Virgin Records era. Of those, the possibilities of new remixed albums include thirteen albums released over ten years. Of those, notable inclusions are Phaedra (1974), Rubycon(1975), Ricochet (Live) [1975], Stratosfear (1976) [YAY!!], Encore(Live) [1977], Cyclone (1978), and Force Majeure (1979).

Some of these remixed recordings will be presented as new Stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes. Virgin Records will announce all needed info at the turn of the New Year with title, inclusions, artwork, and actual release date. Be sure that I’ll let you know.
Steven Wilson (and Wouter Bessels), you’re heroes!

Steven Wilson is a one man wrecking machine for sure. He should start his own label.
Perhaps QQ should put him on retainer make sure he gets his flu shots and protects his health.
Every time he gets sick it's one less surround mix for us.

TANGERINE DREAM TO RELEASE CD/BD BOX WITH STEVEN WILSON REMIXES
21 NOVEMBER, 2018 MAROWE
In what will SURELY be one of 2019’s ‘must have’ reissues will be a Tangerine Dream CD/BD Box with albums remixed by master engineer, Steven Wilson. To date, little is known about this upcoming box other than it’s likely to appear within April of 2019. Even more excellent to the news (and never downplaying other TD eras), these reissues will be for the Virgin Records era. Of those, the possibilities of new remixed albums include thirteen albums released over ten years. Of those, notable inclusions are Phaedra (1974), Rubycon(1975), Ricochet (Live) [1975], Stratosfear (1976) [YAY!!], Encore(Live) [1977], Cyclone (1978), and Force Majeure (1979).

Some of these remixed recordings will be presented as new Stereo and 5.1 Surround mixes. Virgin Records will announce all needed info at the turn of the New Year with title, inclusions, artwork, and actual release date. Be sure that I’ll let you know.
Steven Wilson (and Wouter Bessels), you’re heroes!
:SB :unsure: Now I'm wondering how many in Surround! If its just Phaedra (1974), Rubycon(1975), Ricochet (Live) [1975], Stratosfear (1976), Encore(Live) [1977], Cyclone (1978), and Force Majeure (1979) I'll be over the moon!

Could we ever see the earlier TD Quads reissued at some point in time?

Rubicon and Force Majeure for me, please. And Stratosfear. And Phaedra and Cyclone. Uh, uh ... and Encore please.

:SB:unsure: Now I'm wondering how many in Surround! If its just Phaedra (1974), Rubycon(1975), Ricochet (Live) [1975], Stratosfear (1976), Encore(Live) [1977], Cyclone (1978), and Force Majeure (1979) I'll be over the moon!

Could we ever see the earlier TD Quads reissued at some point in time?

I'm also wondering how many of the aforementioned titles will be in surround .
Hopefully most........if not all.

Back